Kids stay onboard?

Precious68

We are going on our first Disney cruise and wanted to do a short shore excursion in Nassau without the kids. Does DCL allow you to leave the kids onboard for that? I know Carnival does, but wasn't sure about DCL.

Thanks!

We did it a few years ago with one of ours. His cousin is the same age and we checked them into the kids club and left for Nassau. We took our older daughter with us at the time. He was proabably about 5 or 6. At the time they also took them to lunch.

DCL has no policy on this matter; it is left up to the parents. You do need to be aware that the wave phones will not work beyond a very short distance from the ship.

They tell you the phones work on the ship only. That is not quite true, but they do have a very short range in port. This means that the CMs will not be able to reach you.

DCL has no policy on this matter; it is left up to the parents. You do need to be aware that the wave phones will not work beyond a very short distance from the ship.

They tell you the phones work on the ship only. That is not quite true' date=' but they do have a very short range in port. This means that the CMs will not be able to reach you.[/quote']

Not quite accurate. You can give them a cell phone number to call in an emergency.

Not quite accurate. You can give them a cell phone number to call in an emergency.

This depends on the location you are visiting and whether or not you have international cell service. If you are on a DCL sponsored excursion, they can reach the excursion guide.

This depends on the location you are visiting and whether or not you have international cell service. If you are on a DCL sponsored excursion' date=' they can reach the excursion guide.[/quote']

Of course. I wouldn't leave my child unless they had some way of getting a hold of me be it wave or my own cell phone. Now, my daughter is in daycare and there are certain spots within my own office building that block reception. This lack of service can happen anywhere. They can still leave a message and when your service resumes, you know you have a message. It's up to each family to make their own decision on how comfortable they are leaving the ship without their child.

Of course. I wouldn't leave my child unless they had some way of getting a hold of me be it wave or my own cell phone. Now, my daughter is in daycare and there are certain spots within my own office building that block reception. This lack of service can happen anywhere. They can still leave a message and when your service resumes, you know you have a message. It's up to each family to make their own decision on how comfortable they are leaving the ship without their child.

I understand this and was not trying to be nit-picking. My point is that there are things that new cruisers might not consider in making a decision as to whether or not to leave a child on board. As several have stated, it is totally an individual decision.

DCL's policy is to deal with any emergency that may occur using their best judgement (calling the ship's physician for a medical matter, etc) while at the same time another CM is trying to reach the parent(s). This would happen whether the parent is on the ship of not. The only difference is in how long it might take to reach the family and have them get back to the ship. What will be different is how they handle a child who wants to leave the programming--the "can you call my mom to come get me" stuff. Obviously if they know a parent is not on board, they will attempt to engage the child in the programming rather than disturbing the parental excursion, Palo, or spa.

I understand this and was not trying to be nit-picking. My point is that there are things that new cruisers might not consider in making a decision as to whether or not to leave a child on board. As several have stated' date=' it is totally an individual decision.

DCL's policy is to deal with any emergency that may occur using their best judgement (calling the ship's physician for a medical matter, etc) while at the same time another CM is trying to reach the parent(s). This would happen whether the parent is on the ship of not. The only difference is in how long it might take to reach the family and have them get back to the ship. What will be different is how they handle a child who wants to leave the programming--the "can you call my mom to come get me" stuff. Obviously if they know a parent is not on board, they will attempt to engage the child in the programming rather than disturbing the parental excursion, Palo, or spa.[/quote']

No worries. I didn't think you were nit-picking. :)

Archived