Looking for tours using smaller vans on POA itinerery

mom23guys

I really prefer tours with 15 or under people. I see Robert's mentions frequently but they often use big buses. We plan on using MaryLou or Ricky's Tours in Hilo and Valeyy Isle for the Road to Hana. Any suggestions in Kauai and for something else on Maui? Please don't suggest renting a car we really prefer a local guide and driver. We will rent a car when we do a week on Maui post cruise.

We sailed the POA in July 2013. I researched tours for six months prior to our sailing.

For Maui, we contacted Bryan Miner of "Maui's Private Guide." Even though we could not use his services (we needed a wheelchair friendly vehicle), he answered our questions and was very friendly by e-mail. I cannot vouch for the tour itself, but my sister says she saw him as part of the sunrise at Haleakala mob scene and was impressed by how he interacted with his clients.

Also on Maui, Sis and her family booked a sunrise bike ride through Valley Isle that had about 20 bike riders all told. She does not remember the name of the actual tour.

We had paddleboarding lessons with the Kauai Beach Boys and hung out on Kalapaki Beach the day of the luau on Kauai. The lessons are "small group" lessons which counted as a tour for me.

Sis and her family (5 in all) booked a helicopter ride with Jack Harter helicopters on Kauai. They *loved* it. Of course, the helicopters only fit so many and the airport is very close to the ship, so it is not truly a tour bus to the airport.

I tried to book Jay Dorrance of Tread Lightly Kauai after reading rave reviews on this board. After very promising initial exchanges, he never returned my three follow-up e-mails. Maybe I went into his SPAM filter.

I know exactly how you feel about small tours, guides, and not wanting to drive. I keep reading how "easy" it is to drive in Hawaii. Who cares? It's still driving. :) YMMV.

happy cruising,

el henry

Edited by elhenry

I'm on POA next month with two friends and I've corresponded with Jay Dorrance at Tread Lightly Kauai several times. He even called me in Texas! You can reach him at www.treadlightlykauai.com. I can't recommend his tour...haven't taken it yet...but it sounds like what you're interested in and would be worth checking out. Not a big bus tour but one tailored to a small group...in our case...three adults.

• 2 years later...

I highly recommend booking Treat Lightly Kauai with Jay Dorrance, a local on Kauai. Having Jay as your very own private tour guide for the day is the best way to visit Kauai. You can specify exactly what you want to see or do, or leave it up to Jay to take you to the best places and private areas that only the locals know about. You can hike and explore, or simply relax and kick back on the most beautiful beaches sipping fresh coconut juice from a coconut he opens right in front of you. Jay embodies the aloha spirit, as he does, indeed, tread lightly on this beautiful and magical land. He made me feel welcome and at the end of the day, I felt as if I, too, were a part of the beautiful island of Kauai, Hawaii. Next time I visit, I want to stay at his cabin on his property.

I highly recommend booking Treat Lightly Kauai with Jay Dorrance, a local on Kauai. Having Jay as your very own private tour guide for the day is the best way to visit Kauai. You can specify exactly what you want to see or do, or leave it up to Jay to take you to the best places and private areas that only the locals know about. You can hike and explore, or simply relax and kick back on the most beautiful beaches sipping fresh coconut juice from a coconut he opens right in front of you. Jay embodies the aloha spirit, as he does, indeed, tread lightly on this beautiful and magical land. He made me feel welcome and at the end of the day, I felt as if I, too, were a part of the beautiful island of Kauai, Hawaii. Next time I visit, I want to stay at his cabin on his property.

What type of vehicle does Jay Dorrance use?

Thanks!

We used MaryLou in Hilo and Valley Isle for the Road to Hana and were very pleased with both. We did use Roberts for one tour, and it was fine, but you're right- the big buses just aren't the same as having a personal tour guide.

Mary Lou even brought pineapple for us to snack on that she had picked from her garden that morning!

DSC03629.jpg.html

Have a great trip! Pictures from our POA trip last summer are in my signature.

Edited by carmzav

Thanks for all the help so far on this thread. We too are looking for smaller tours - there is of us and we are not keen on 'big bus' experience - usually too many people using their own 'time system' and stretching the '5 minute stop' to quarter of an hour or more and also many organised big bus tours have loads of 'shopping stops' which we are also not keen on.

We are still looking for Kuaui and Hilo - any suggestions - Thanks so much

Helen

Thanks for all the help so far on this thread. We too are looking for smaller tours - there is of us and we are not keen on 'big bus' experience - usually too many people using their own 'time system' and stretching the '5 minute stop' to quarter of an hour or more and also many organised big bus tours have loads of 'shopping stops' which we are also not keen on.

Helen

Mary Lou's for Hilo as mentioned by others. Probably 6 people per vehicle. You can even make it private for a little more, but they are pretty flexible. They'll give you a list of options and if there is something you specifically want, ask them about it before booking. They are good at staying ahead of the big busses. They do usually stop at the macadamia nut place, but if you don't want those kind of stops, discuss it with them ahead of time and they'll let you know if they can accommodate.

Helen

Hi Helen, not sure when you are going, but for Hilo, you might try Marylou's Tours. We haven't used her yet, but have reservations for October with her. She comes very highly recommended on this site and on Trip Advisor, and they only do six person tours or private tours........but they do fill up fast. Not sure on Kuaui as we are doing a short ship's tour and then some beach time on our own. Good luck with your plans!

Hi Helen, not sure when you are going, but for Hilo, you might try Marylou's Tours. We haven't used her yet, but have reservations for October with her. She comes very highly recommended on this site and on Trip Advisor, and they only do six person tours or private tours........but they do fill up fast. Not sure on Kuaui as we are doing a short ship's tour and then some beach time on our own. Good luck with your plans!

We only go in Feb 2017 - but looking into it now as we do prefer the smaller tours. Found a perfect tour in Maui - good reviews and wonderful quick correspondence from them. When you are half way accross the world you want to make sure you get what you want!!

We only go in Feb 2017 - but looking into it now as we do prefer the smaller tours. Found a perfect tour in Maui - good reviews and wonderful quick correspondence from them. When you are half way accross the world you want to make sure you get what you want!!

I'm an early planner too........to my husband and son's pain, I have been planning since a year ago in May. LOL My son kept going "Mom, it's over a year away, chill!" :) I agree with you about the smaller tours, they are so much better! If you don't mind me asking, who did you go with in Maui? Right now we are planning on renting a car in Maui but if we could find something better, we might change our mind.

I'm an early planner too........to my husband and son's pain, I have been planning since a year ago in May. LOL My son kept going "Mom, it's over a year away, chill!" :) I agree with you about the smaller tours, they are so much better! If you don't mind me asking, who did you go with in Maui? Right now we are planning on renting a car in Maui but if we could find something better, we might change our mind.

We are going with

http://holoholomauitours.com

They are tailor making our tour - as one of our party is both travel sick and has trouble walking far - we are spending some time in Lahaina. They have been wonderful in helping make decisions and message me really quickly

We are going to West Maui

We are going with

http://holoholomauitours.com

They are tailor making our tour - as one of our party is both travel sick and has trouble walking far - we are spending some time in Lahaina. They have been wonderful in helping make decisions and message me really quickly

We are going to West Maui

Thanks for the info, I will most definitely check it out. I have trouble walking far also. I saw some pictures of Lahaina and I would really love to spend some time there, but I'm worried about how far we will have to park the car from where we want to explore. It really sucks when you have trouble walking far!! :( Especially in Hawaii!!!