Who eats at the WJ for dinner on OASIS?

Are you doing a write up of your trip? I'd like to read your opinions. We are doing Allure next just to change things up a bit but then it is back to Voyager and Freedom ships for us. The Windjammer on Oasis and Allure works for us for breakfast and dinner but I won't go near the place of lunch on those two ships. It is very much as you describe.... an over crowded zoo.

Sorry not one to do "write ups"...The above response was even a bit lengthy for me... I got a bit carried away because I was so prepared to be overwhelmed with this ship and instead found several things that made a negative impression...Instead I'll pop up now and again with experiences when certain subjects come up....Oh no..Ocean Boy you're getting me carried away again :D

My routine is buffet for breakfast and lunch and MDR for dinner. Having tried different places on the Allure for breakfast, in the end, Windjammer has the most options. Lunch is always definitely in the Windjammer. I always try to go early enough to miss the crowd for a table.

As for dinner, I will always go into MDR. Specialty restaurants are not my thing and I don't see any reasons to pay more. I sometimes I do head up to Windjammer after my MDR experience just to check out the options in there.

We ate dinner several times in the windjammer on the Oasis. Never was crowded and very relaxing. I think a lot of people don't know that you can go all the way to the back of the windjammer and it goes on forever. It's not as small as you think. As a matter of fact the times we were there it was a huge section blocked off in the very back because it wasn't being used. Just remember to keep walking when you get to the back it is a very big area.

I have never ate in the WJ for supper always in the MDR.. Do they have anything different in the WJ for supper compared to lunch time or is it all the same ?

The WJ dinner menu is different from lunch. Many times they will have one or two of the same entrees that are being served in the MDR.

We have been on both Oasis and Allure. We have ate in the WJ for evening meals. I am a meat and potato and plain salad person. My husband goes for the fancy food. So he liked the MDR. But neither one of us liked dressing up for dinner. I was disappointed in the Brazilian restaurant as was my husband. We have been to several all over the U.S. and it was no where near comparison .

We prefer to go in the WJ most of the time. Café during the day.

Ate a couple of Windjammer dinners on Oasis earlier this year. The food was mostly really good,, but I agree with what others have said about the WJ not being big enough for this class of ship. Love the Freedom class WJ's much better.

Anyway, the only tip I could give you on when to go to the WJ, would be to skip the initial rush (and it is!!) when it first opens. I would go a little later when it is less crowded and people aren't spazzing out as though they hadn't eaten in a week!

Enjoy your cruise.:)

hahahah --- spazzing out. hahahahah. Thanks for making me smile.

Chicago, Evanston.

We did 7 nights on the Oasis in August and only did the main dinning room for the formal night. We used the windjammer for breakfast every morning and 4 evenings. I would agree that breakfasts were very busy, the evenings less so, but we had tables found for us every time and cutlery placed on our tables. It never felt rushed.

------------------

Gaynor

Independance of the Seas. August 2009

Oasis of the Seas. August 2013

• 3 months later...

None of my group ever eats there for dinner. I honestly don't even like it for breakfast because people/passengers touch everything on those buffets (spoons, the food..etc). It just grosses me out. I usually go for an omelet that is made behind the counter, that way I feel a bit safer. Otherwise, we do breakfast in the MDR.

Sorry, I'm not much help at all. :confused:

On all of our cruises, we have chosen to use the Windjammer mostly. Although the dining room is a nice treat, we like to eat at our leisure and then move on to something else. With the Oasis being so much larger than any other ship we have been on, we will see how our routine works. Thanks to all for the input on the pros and cons.

We've been on the Radiance and on the Allure and on both we had all of our dinners (accept for our very first dinner on our first cruise) in the Windjammer. We too prefer checking the food out ourselves, tasting everything that looks good and serving ourselves. It's so nice in there in the evening!! Much more relaxed than the MDR, in our opinions. Quiet and peaceful. We just love it!!

On the Allure we kept on sitting in one section, so we had the same waiter every night who was in charge of our table. By the third evening, every time we walked in he would place diet cokes down at our favorite table, so we also got some of that MDR personalized feeling :)

We much prefer the food and the atmosphere of the Windjammer. It's our favorite place to eat onboard.

I totally agree on the frenzy of Oasis WJ. We just sailed on her 2wks ago and it was total chaos in there every day for every time of day! Most times there was a wait at the door and you couldn't ever find any place to sit. It's a big beautiful ship but it's too many people and many are rude types that don't care. I found the size of Freedom and service to be much more classy than on Oasis. I can say I sailed on her but won't again.