Eurodam vs. Westerdam Question

shuttlebuggy

Hi everyone - we are getting ready to book out a cruise - and the two ships have the exact same Eastern Carribean itinerary and around the same dates we are interested in going.

We did love the Eurodam - in 2011 - it was an awesome cruise and we had not one complaint with anything!!! So not taking a different ship wouldn't be a let down - but then again trying a new and equally excellent one would be something we would not want to miss out on! ;)

So now that we have a choice whether to branch out or stay with the familiar - we would like a fair comparison of the two -

In other words - opinions are nice - but are more interested in those that have sailed on both letting us know things like -

What would we miss on the Westie that we might have had on the Euro?

Are the dining options the same - i.e. Canneletto, Tamarind, etcccc

Staff on the Westie - how were they?

Extra touches you experienced and liked on the Westie as compared with the Euro?

Any dislikes on the Westie?

Thanks all! :)

There's a couple of major differences between the two ships, but for the most part they are pretty much the same.

The E-dam has the Tamarind Restaurant and Silk Den Lounge; the Westerdam does not. That's a big difference if you like the Tamarind.

The Westerdam has fewer passengers, so doesn't feel as crowded in the public rooms. It's a little easier to get a seat in the Lido, or the show lounge.

Other than that, crew moves around, so you can't tell if it will be the same on any ship when you board. The layout of the ships is the same, as are activities. Décor will be different, but along similar ideas, such as fresh flowers and art work.

Since you have already tried one ship, why not branch out a tad???

We sailed Eurodam five cruises and loved our cruises on her.

We sailed Westerdam three cruises and the most recent were two weeks on Westerdam last Thanksgiving.

We were in "SA" cabin and were very happy in our cabin and on the ship. She's a lovely ship with a wonderful crew.

However, we will not book Westerdam again until they provide full service of all buffet items on the buffet in Neptune Lounge. About last March, they cut back and have not replaced those items that all other Neptune Lounges offer. When (if) they are restored, we would add Westerdam back to our list of ships we'd enjoy sailing again. :)

We love Silk Den and Tamarind on Eurodam and that is another persuasion to book Eurodam over Westerdam, for us.

But I do want to give the clear picture we fully enjoyed Westerdam last November/December. No complaints of particular substance.

Agree with all the others have posted. I have not sailed on Westerdam, but on two of her sisters, including the one that just sailed, and enjoyed both.

I sailed on the Eurodam this August/September and found the crew and the service and the staff's rapid response to a problem we had to be outstanding. I felt that the overall ship's decor did not meet my expectation. For me, the Nieuw Amsterdam's decor is superior. (There has been some recent discussion about this on the Boards.)

Hi,

We have done the Euordam I would say about 3 or so yrs ago. That was our first HAL cruise.We love our first cruise with HAL.We have done Disney,NCL and Carnival. Looking forward to our Westerdam Cruise on Nov.15th.Friends told us she is older but very nice. Can let you know more on Nov.25th when we get back home.

A cruise is really what you make of it.

Bonnie:)

We have quite a few sailing days on the Westerdam -- but will not be going back on her any time soon because of the changes in her Neptune Lounge.

We love the Eurodam's Silk Den for cocktails and the view. And the Tamarind Restaurant.

It amazes us how Silk Den is so underused. I'm not sure if people don't know how to find it or what the story but it's a lovely lounge with great views IMO

But we really like Eurodam's Pinnacle Bar. For some reason, we are always very comfortable and happy there. :)

Have sailed on the Westerdam, two weeks last November and am sailing on the Eurodam in a week. Probably would never go back on the Westerdam for many a reason. We're hoping, and believe that the Eurdodam will present a far more superior experience.

We sailed both for Christmas cruises -- Eurodam in '11; Westerdam in '12. (We'll be on Nordam this Christmas). Both were wonderful cruises & with fantastic crews. Personally I preferred Eurodam due to the Tamarind, Silk Den, & movie theater (loved the leather comfy chairs). However, my DH preferred Westerdam due to the smaller size, Chocolate Store (sorry, forgot the name but we had some great drinks) & no cabanas.

Whatever decision your make....I'm sure you'll have a great cruise!:D

Marge

Hi everyone - we are getting ready to book out a cruise - and the two ships have the exact same Eastern Carribean itinerary and around the same dates we are interested in going.

We did love the Eurodam - in 2011 - it was an awesome cruise and we had not one complaint with anything!!! So not taking a different ship wouldn't be a let down - but then again trying a new and equally excellent one would be something we would not want to miss out on! ;)

So now that we have a choice whether to branch out or stay with the familiar - we would like a fair comparison of the two -

In other words - opinions are nice - but are more interested in those that have sailed on both letting us know things like -

What would we miss on the Westie that we might have had on the Euro?

Are the dining options the same - i.e. Canneletto, Tamarind, etcccc

Staff on the Westie - how were they?

Extra touches you experienced and liked on the Westie as compared with the Euro?

Any dislikes on the Westie?

Thanks all! :)

About the difference.

Thank you one and all - I so appreciate the input - and will be making a decision soon on our 2015 cruise - seems so far away - but we are in the pins-and-needles phase of awaiting our first grandchild!!! So 2014 will be filled with many new and fun moments with her!

But once things have settled in a bit - we are looking to Spring of 2015 to get away once again!

We love love love cruising but do not have the resources to do the heavy cruising many of you do...but we SO appreciate you seasoned cruisers giving the "low down" to us!

I am leaning at this point towards the Euro again - as I SO enjoyed the Tamarind for my birthday. And love the Silk Den as well for quieter moments.

Will let you all know our decision - but once again thank you one and all for your detailed input - so grateful!!!! :););):)

Archived