REVIEW: Carnival Valor to Southern Caribbean Oct 6-13, 2013 OUR FIRST CRUISE!

valentinebaby1

I cant pull up the St. Thomas Marriott with that link, did you have a different one?

I wasn't sure if you were asking about St Thomas or San Juan's Marriott, but the previous poster was referring to San Juan and the link was for San Juan. I found this info on Cruise Critic with a quick search:

Frenchman's Reef & Morning Star Marriott Beach Resort

star2.bmpWhat You Get for Your Money: For $35 per person (children ages 10 and under admitted free), you have access to the beach area, chairs, towels and beach gear. You are also invited to utilize the resort's restaurants. However, pool and room access, meals and drinks are not included. Availability depends on the hotel's occupancy, with limited slots during winter high season.

star2.bmpHow to Get There: Frenchman's Reef can be reached by taxi within 15 minutes.

star2.bmpFor More Info: Visit Frenchman's Reef's Web site or call 340-776-8500.

Hope that helps!

Great review.. I am loving it.

:)

Thank you!

Well, I'm home after my trip to the dentist today. The root canal didn't go so well; apparently my roots are curved rather than straight, so after FOUR hours and TWO different dentists, they called it a day at 6pm and I get to go back to finish on the 13th. Yippee.

Anyway, back to the review!

OCT 9, 2013 Day 7

Wednesday was Barbados, and we were excited about our day! We were up early for our adventure. I'll admit that Barbados isn't as breathtaking as the other ports of this cruise. It's a much more flat island, and in fact they keep things that way by not allowing buildings to be built taller than the trees. But we still saw this on our way in:

100_3280.jpg

100_3294.jpg

100_3273.jpg

100_3267.jpg

We skipped breakfast again, because we knew our excursion had some breakfast snacks included. We booked a turtle snorkel with Calabaza Sailing Cruises, which was a 5 hour cruise on a gorgeous catamaran!

We docked in Barbados and headed off the ship pretty early.

IMG_7591.jpg

Everyone was taking pictures by this sign so we did also:

IMG_7595.jpg

Then we realized the sign was the same on the other side, which made more sense to have the Valor behind us, so we took another:

IMG_7596.jpg

A taxi took us through Bridgetown to where the catamaran was docked. We boarded and met the crew; Danny, Gina and Fabian. We were so excited for our adventure! We had barely boarded and Gina was serving us drinks and the most amazing homemade foods. Rum punch, sodas and beer were flowing all day. We sailed to our first spot and before we knew it we were swimming with the turtles! There were several kinds of turtles, and they were very friendly. They seemed to know Fabian well. Some of the pictures were photos he took, and some hubby took. Fabian's admittedly are better photos!

IMG_7671.jpg

IMG_7633.jpg

IMG_7632.jpg

013.jpg

011.jpg

005.jpg

025.jpg

017.jpg

077.jpg

We were the first boat to arrive in this spot, but soon there were several others. We kept our spot a little bit away from the other boats, and with only 12 of us to "watch", the crew let us go do our own thing. We were given the freedom to go where we wanted. We watched the other boats that were nearby, and they were a lot more crowded and they all stuck together in the water and were herded like cattle in comparison to the freedom we had.

We moved to the 2nd spot, which was by a shipwreck and there were fish here, but I don't remember seeing the turtles there. The fish were amazing! There were so many different kinds and a lot of them!

102.jpg

087.jpg

Towards the end of our second snorkel stop, one of the passengers started struggling in the water. It wasn't serious in the end, but I bring this up because I was SO impressed with how the crew handled the situation. While we are out in the water there are 12 people going in 12 different directions basically. Fabian was in the water with us. But on the boat, Danny was watching everyone and aware where everyone was, even when the other boats were around and there were tons of other people in the area. When the passenger started to struggle (they think his snorkel vest might have slipped up and felt like he was choking) Danny was completely aware of what was happening and within seconds had jumped into the water with his board and was assisting the gentleman back to the boat. Most of the passengers were still out in the water and didn't know what was going on, and I certainly hope if he happens to reads this that he isn't embarrassed, as I only point this out because I was so impressed with how serious the crew took our safety!

After the 2nd snorkel stop, we sailed on a bit to the 3rd stop, where lunch was served.

125.jpg

135.jpg

I wish I could remember everything that was served, it was all so delicious! Gina made the best food. I know there were several types of salads, a macaroni casserole, some type of beef and rice...so yummy! At other points during the day we were served banana bread, johnny cakes (I think that's what they were called, it was some type of fish item and really good!) and the crew never let us sit with an empty glass!

After eating we were given time to swim. Hubby got back in the water, I was a bit worn out so I stayed on the boat. He and a few others swam to the beach.

IMG_8121.jpg

IMG_8091.jpg

IMG_8019.jpg

Sadly, our adventure with Calabaza was coming to an end. We started the sail back. The day was nearly perfect. There was just a little rain from time to time, but it didn't spoil anything. Gina, Danny and Fabian were absolutely amazing. They limit the number of passengers to 12. After seeing some of the other boats, it seemed they were MUCH more crowded!

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

I know this isn't a turtle snorkel type boat, it's just a party boat, but it looked a tad crowded to me!

IMG_7821.jpg

Edited by valentinebaby1

Calabaza was $110 per person, which yes, is about $10 more than some of the other snorkel excursions, but the level of service, the freedom and the very uncrowded boat were totally worth the $10 difference. I would not hesitate for even a moment to book with Calabaza again!

IMG_7886.jpg

IMG_8274.jpg

IMG_8178.jpg

190.jpg

Thank you Gina, for a wonderful day!

IMG_8280.jpg

Thank you Danny and Fabian for taking such good care of us!

IMG_8283.jpg

After the taxi took us back to the port, we did a little shopping in the mall next to the ship:

IMG_7598.jpg

We wanted to get our passports stamped at every port, but I'm not sure if we could get them stamped in St Thomas, since it's a US Territory, and we didn't think about it in San Juan for the same reason, but we remembered in Barbados. There was a little customs office in the mall. I had my passport with me, but hubby didn't (he had his drivers license, left the passport on the ship). We ran into a couple of people from our meet and greet and they wanted theirs stamped as well. I was exhausted and my feet were really hurting so I had mine stamped, and the 4 of us got on the ship together. Hubby and the other 2 got their passports and left the ship again to have their passports stamped while I took a short nap.

After I got back to our cabin, I laid down with my feet up. They had been swelling bigger and bigger over the last few days. I have no idea if it was the salt water, the alcohol we had been consuming or maybe I wasn't drinking enough water...they looked like blown up balloons with toes. I could barely wear shoes! Anyone else ever experience this? Anyway, this is why I stayed in the cabin and rested.

100_3311.jpg

After my nap, I felt a bit better and hubby and I, along with the 2 friends we caught up with in Barbados went to dinner together. I had the Study in Sushi for an appetizer along with a quesadilla, and jerked port loins and braised short ribs for entrees, and finished with cheesecake for dessert. Hubby had the same things along with prosciutto ruffles and fig cinnamon date cake for dessert. Dinner was delicious! We had a wonderful evening, the show by the wait staff was fun, the company was delightful, we couldn't have asked for a better day!

IMG_8470.jpg

After some relaxing time on the Lido deck we headed to bed.

100_3308.jpg

GREAT review!!! I loved our Valor cruise, we want to do it again someday!

That pic of your feet looks like my feet every time I cruise!!! I can't figure out what causes it. My last cruise I even avoided alcohol and yep, same thing! The only common thing on all the cruises is the water. I know, people say there's no way there's salt in it but it has to be something! I get elephant feet every cruise. I even ate the "spa" entrees last cruise thinking maybe its salt in the food. Still happened. It's a mystery to me. For my semi back to back coming up I am taking plenty of diuretics with me and even some compression socks. It's just too many days and the swollen feet really hurt.

Love our review!

GREAT review!!! I loved our Valor cruise, we want to do it again someday!

That pic of your feet looks like my feet every time I cruise!!! I can't figure out what causes it. My last cruise I even avoided alcohol and yep, same thing! The only common thing on all the cruises is the water. I know, people say there's no way there's salt in it but it has to be something! I get elephant feet every cruise. I even ate the "spa" entrees last cruise thinking maybe its salt in the food. Still happened. It's a mystery to me. For my semi back to back coming up I am taking plenty of diuretics with me and even some compression socks. It's just too many days and the swollen feet really hurt.

Love our review!

Thank you!

Will this be the first time you've tried a diuretic and compression socks? I'm curious if it's helped in the past or if this will be the first time to try it? Mine just got worse as the week progressed. We stayed in San Juan one night after the cruise, and by Monday morning they were almost back to normal, just a day off the ship, and they were fine in the 3 days before the cruise in San Juan as well, so it was definitely something affecting me while on the cruise.

Thank you!

Will this be the first time you've tried a diuretic and compression socks? I'm curious if it's helped in the past or if this will be the first time to try it? Mine just got worse as the week progressed. We stayed in San Juan one night after the cruise, and by Monday morning they were almost back to normal, just a day off the ship, and they were fine in the 3 days before the cruise in San Juan as well, so it was definitely something affecting me while on the cruise.

I haven't tried the socks but I'm hoping if I put them on each night and put my feet up it will help. I have tried a diuretic and it helps, but the puffiness comes right back. Plus, it's never something I could take on a port day until I got back to the ship and was always near the bathroom!!! I swear it was like every five minutes, I guess all that water has to come out somehow ;). Hoping the socks plus the pills will make the two weeks more comfortable.

Love your review. Yes my feet, legs and ankles swell up like that whenever we sail but that doesn't stop me from cruising. I just prepare by packing slippers and slip on flip flops. I will do ice packs as well to help the swelling.

Hope your tooth pain is better.

Love your review. Yes my feet, legs and ankles swell up like that whenever we sail but that doesn't stop me from cruising. I just prepare by packing slippers and slip on flip flops. I will do ice packs as well to help the swelling.

Hope your tooth pain is better.

My feet hurt a lot, but it wouldn't keep me from cruising again if I ever get the chance! And my painkiller must be doing it's job because I haven't been in pain at all after the initial numbness wore off. I did wake up this morning to the most horrific metallic taste in my mouth though...blech. But thank you!

I haven't tried the socks but I'm hoping if I put them on each night and put my feet up it will help. I have tried a diuretic and it helps, but the puffiness comes right back. Plus, it's never something I could take on a port day until I got back to the ship and was always near the bathroom!!! I swear it was like every five minutes, I guess all that water has to come out somehow ;). Hoping the socks plus the pills will make the two weeks more comfortable.

Hope it helps on your upcoming trip!

Sadly, our adventure with Calabaza was coming to an end. We started the sail back. The day was nearly perfect. There was just a little rain from time to time, but it didn't spoil anything. Gina, Danny and Fabian were absolutely amazing. They limit the number of passengers to 12. After seeing some of the other boats, it seemed they were MUCH more crowded!

IMG_7901.jpg

IMG_7681.jpg

IMG_7719.jpg

IMG_7675.jpg

I know this isn't a turtle snorkel type boat, it's just a party boat, but it looked a tad crowded to me!

IMG_7821.jpg

Loving this review and thanks for these pictures!

I signed up for the 3hr excursion with Stiletto - now I know what to expect! How many ships were in port that day? Maybe I should switch to Calabaza :)

Your review is so interesting and informative! Photos are beautiful!

Thank you very much!

Absolutely loving the review.

I feel your pain with the dentist. Curved roots and an extra nerve that they did not know I had made my first root canal an adventure.

Thank you as well! Basically that's what's going on with my root canal...one nerve had an extra nerve branching off from it, and they're all curved. At one point there was a tool broken in my mouth trying to get at it, and to make matters even more difficult, they couldn't put the rubber ring around my tooth to keep everything else out of the way..it wouldn't stay on my tooth because 1/3 of the tooth was broken off. And they stopped twice while working to take additional xrays. Oh joy...

Loving this review and thanks for these pictures!

I signed up for the 3hr excursion with Stiletto - now I know what to expect! How many ships were in port that day? Maybe I should switch to Calabaza :)

Thank you! And you're welcome!

I'm not sure what the price difference is between Stiletto and Calabaza, but I count at least 22-23 people in and on that boat...where we had 15 counting the crew. Calabaza was definitely worth the price for the extra 2 hours, the room to spread out, the amazing food and service! I'm sure either one would be nice though :)

We were the only ship in dock at every port for the cruise, which was nice!

Absolutely loving your review!! We are on the exact same itinerary on 5/4/14 can't wait! Thank you!

Thank you! You'll have an amazing time!

I am enjoying your review. Your opening remarks made me cry. Your daughter sounds amazing! I'm so glad you and your husband were finally able to have your honeymoon. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)

Aw :o thanks! Believe me, there were plenty of tears when we opened that gift from her. She is an amazing young woman! And there was a point on the plane on the way there that I started tearing up because I was so overcome with happiness! Hubby asked what was wrong, and all I could say was "I'm just so happy!" I just hope it doesn't take us until our 50th anniversary to do something like this again!