REVIEW: Carnival Valor to Southern Caribbean Oct 6-13, 2013 OUR FIRST CRUISE!

valentinebaby1

I loved this review so much I wanted to thank you for all he time you put into this.

I have booked Bernards tours in St Maarten for our upcoming cruise and cant wait.

I really hope you get to cruise again soon :D

Bernards was fantastic!

And in case you missed one of my recent posts, we booked this cruise again! Only 318 days til we sail, but on the Liberty this time, so all of the above with 2.0 upgrades!

• 5 months later...
The black sand beach was very soft, and I thought it would be very hot (that was the experience we had at one other black sand beach we had visited in Mississippi once), but it wasn't any hotter than the other sand.

I know I'm late reading this review, but I'm loving it nonetheless. Your pictures are stunning! What type of camera did you use?

Also, I'm curious about the black sand in MS. I'm from MS and spent most of my life on the Gulf Coast and I've never seen black sand. You've piqued my curiosity. :) I'm now wondering what I've missed. LOL!

I know I'm late reading this review, but I'm loving it nonetheless. Your pictures are stunning! What type of camera did you use?

Also, I'm curious about the black sand in MS. I'm from MS and spent most of my life on the Gulf Coast and I've never seen black sand. You've piqued my curiosity. :) I'm now wondering what I've missed. LOL!

Glad to know it's still getting read! Thanks for reading :)

We went on a road trip from Nebraska back in 2002, into Texas and then across the southern coast through New Orleans and then stayed in Gulfport MS for a couple days. We took a little day cruise out to Ship Island, which had a large section of black sand that I remember trying to walk through barefoot...big mistake! It was SO hot! I don't know if they even take day trips out to Ship Island anymore. It was pretty devastated by Katrina.

My wife used an old Kodak z812 (takes amazingly crisp photos and has a great zoom)

I used a Canon Powershot D20 waterproof camera...it's a great camera and does really well with photos and video underwater and still has a decent 5x optical zoom.

I realized I forgot to answer about the camera question; sorry about that!

We have 2 that we used, my husbands is a Canon, but I have no idea the model. It's a few years old, and it's an underwater model but does pretty good on land too.

Mine is an older Kodak Easy Share Z812IS. It takes very nice pictures for being an older camera. It's a glorified point and shoot with a decent zoom. It has served me well for many years!

Edit: Just realized that hubby answered that question lol

Edited by valentinebaby1

Glad to know it's still getting read! Thanks for reading :)

We went on a road trip from Nebraska back in 2002, into Texas and then across the southern coast through New Orleans and then stayed in Gulfport MS for a couple days. We took a little day cruise out to Ship Island, which had a large section of black sand that I remember trying to walk through barefoot...big mistake! It was SO hot! I don't know if they even take day trips out to Ship Island anymore. It was pretty devastated by Katrina.

I've been to Ship Island but it's been YEARS ago so I don't remember the sand as much as I do the fort. [emoji6] Thanks for this review! I've thoroughly enjoyed it!!

• 1 year later...
Thoroughly enjoying this review and getting plenty of ideas. Thank you so much.

WHAT IN THE WORLD? How does he snorkel like this?? :eek: (Without a full mask around his nose)

lol...he doesn't normally snorkel like that. He didn't have his mask in his backpack that day but realized he had goggles and a snorkel so he just worked with what he had. I could never do that...but he can hold his breath for a long time!

lol...he doesn't normally snorkel like that. He didn't have his mask in his backpack that day but realized he had goggles and a snorkel so he just worked with what he had. I could never do that...but he can hold his breath for a long time!

But holding your breath defeats the purpose of a snorkel. :D :p

But holding your breath defeats the purpose of a snorkel. :D :p

It's really not that different....you just REALLY have to remember not to use your nose...lol... and your view isn't as good with the goggles having smaller openings... but it was still pretty good and I loved seeing the fish... It was my first ever snorkel!!! And my first time seeing live ocean fish in the ocean... they were tiny little Sgt. Majors and some blue tangs (like Dory), so it was really cool! The water wasn't super clear but it was good enough...I even had one little Sgt. Major that followed me around for awhile. :)

It's really not that different....you just REALLY have to remember not to use your nose...lol... and your view isn't as good with the goggles having smaller openings... but it was still pretty good and I loved seeing the fish... It was my first ever snorkel!!! And my first time seeing live ocean fish in the ocean... they were tiny little Sgt. Majors and some blue tangs (like Dory), so it was really cool! The water wasn't super clear but it was good enough...I even had one little Sgt. Major that followed me around for awhile. :)

My hats off to you sir. I don't think I could ever snorkel like that. :) It definitely made for an awesome picture though. Maybe I'm just too use to using a full snorkel mask. I would probably choke if I tried it. I don't think I'm coordinated enough. :p