Some questions about St Thomas / St John on Oasis

Sorry if this should only be in the St Thomas Section but that area seems to have much less RCL experts so I am posting it here:p

The GF and I are sailing on Oasis Jan 11th. So excited!!!! 81 days and counting. We love the planning and excitement of figuring out what we are going to do on our vacation

I wanted to know if anyone has done the STO3 St John self explore excursion?

I am strongly considering this because it gives me and the GF a nice long beach and snorkel day.

What time does it leave St Thomas for St John and what time does it get back? I also wanted to know If you wanted to head back early can you get on any ferry back to St Thomas just in case the duty free shopping bug bites.

And if you have any can't miss Things to Do or See I would love to hear about them

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Jeff:D

Sign in to "My Cruise" and your reservation. In the Cruise Planner, click ADD for excursions on your St Thomas day, and you can see the excursions for your specific cruise - when you view each excursion's details, the left border shows the exact excursion times, and whether or not you're using the Ferry or private excursion boat.

A number of the excursions to St Johns have you locally booking your own transport/Taxis/Tours and you're responsible for getting back to the ferry on time.

There's shopping in Cruz Bay - you might pick-up something more unique there. There's also limited shopping at Crown Bay where Oasis will be docked.

ken

We were in St. Thomas on Oasis earlier this year. We did exactly what you are talking about.

We booked one of the least expensive St. John's excursions through the ship. It was basically a big ferry that took passengers on several different tours over to the St. John. Once there, the ferry captain told everyone they could stay with their tour, or go off on their own -- just be back by a certain time to catch the ferry back to STT. He found a group of us that wanted to go to Cruz Bay and he arranged a taxi for us over there. We spent the day laying on the most beautiful beach, then shared a taxi with another group coming back.

Oasis doesn't dock at Havensight, where most of the touristy shopping is in St. Thomas. There is some shopping in St. John... in fact, I thought it was a really cute town.

I don't remember the exact time of when we arrived back in St. Thomas... but I remember we were pretty tired, so we just headed back to the ship. Since there was such limited shopping at that pier area, I didn't feel like we missed out on much.

Enjoy your cruise! Planning is the great prelude!

Ann

Edited by TexasAnn

Sorry if this should only be in the St Thomas Section but that area seems to have much less RCL experts so I am posting it here:p

The GF and I are sailing on Oasis Jan 11th. So excited!!!! 81 days and counting. We love the planning and excitement of figuring out what we are going to do on our vacation

I wanted to know if anyone has done the STO3 St John self explore excursion?

I am strongly considering this because it gives me and the GF a nice long beach and snorkel day.

What time does it leave St Thomas for St John and what time does it get back? I also wanted to know If you wanted to head back early can you get on any ferry back to St Thomas just in case the duty free shopping bug bites.

And if you have any can't miss Things to Do or See I would love to hear about them

Any and all feedback is welcome.

Jeff:D

Hi Jeff! I'll be on the same sailing! You should come join our Roll Call Thread, it's pretty active!

-Kelly

We were in St. Thomas on Oasis earlier this year. We did exactly what you are talking about.

We booked one of the least expensive St. John's excursions through the ship. It was basically a big ferry that took passengers on several different tours over to the St. John.

Ann

Where did you catch the ferry, at Crown Bay, or did you have to travel to Red Hook?

• 3 months later...
Is there a way to get over to St. John's without taking a ship excursion! Can you do it on your own? If so how?

You can absolutely get to St. John and back on your own, just be careful to return to St. Thomas in time to not miss your ship! We've taken the ferry from Red Hook, and had time left to shop in downtown Charlotte Amalie. There are many threads on getting to St. John on your own, on the St. Thomas/St. John Ports of Call board: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=133. You can do a Search there. Enjoy lovely St. John! :)

Edited by jmf123

Ferry:

Red Hook, St. Thomas to St. John Cruz Bay

$6.00 each way 15-20- minute ride

leaves Cruz Bay every hour from 6 AM to 12 PM to return

Charlotte Amalie to Cruz Bay

$12.00 each way 45 minute ride $2.50 per bag fee

leaves Cruz Bay 11:15 AM and 3:45 PM to return

Ferry:

Red Hook, St. Thomas to St. John Cruz Bay

$6.00 each way 15-20- minute ride

leaves Cruz Bay every hour from 6 AM to 12 PM to return

Charlotte Amalie to Cruz Bay

$12.00 each way 45 minute ride $2.50 per bag fee

leaves Cruz Bay 11:15 AM and 3:45 PM to return

I believe that you meant 12 AM (Midnight) for the Red Hook to Cruz Bay schedule. :) And currently the ferry schedule from Cruz Bay to Red Hook runs from 6 a.m. to 11 p.m.

Regarding cost, I think the $6 and $12 one way rates are Resident rates. It is $7 from Red Hook to Cruz Bay, and $13 from Charlotte Amalie for Non-residents. And kids age 2 to 11 get a reduced rate, regardless of residency, to the best of my knowledge. :)

We went on the Allure a few weeks ago.

I studied the DIY option vs. the ship option. In the end, it's about $2 cheaper for the DIY and potential for wasted time. You have to pay for the taxi to and from Red Hook and then ensure you are there prior to the top of the hour to catch the ferry. The time in the taxi there and back is about the difference in time on the ferry. At least that would be my opinion.

In all honesty, I couldn't see an upside on DIY vs. the cruise ship. and through the cruise ship, we had no travel hassle. When we arrived to Cruz Bay, we got off the ferry and caught a cab to Trunk Bay on our own. I imagine if we wanted to go back earlier, we could have just purchased a separate one way ticket from Cruz Bay to Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie and then cabbed back to the ship....but we didn't want to leave early.

We went on the Allure a few weeks ago.

I studied the DIY option vs. the ship option. In the end, it's about $2 cheaper for the DIY and potential for wasted time. You have to pay for the taxi to and from Red Hook and then ensure you are there prior to the top of the hour to catch the ferry. The time in the taxi there and back is about the difference in time on the ferry. At least that would be my opinion.

In all honesty, I couldn't see an upside on DIY vs. the cruise ship. and through the cruise ship, we had no travel hassle. When we arrived to Cruz Bay, we got off the ferry and caught a cab to Trunk Bay on our own. I imagine if we wanted to go back earlier, we could have just purchased a separate one way ticket from Cruz Bay to Red Hook or Charlotte Amalie and then cabbed back to the ship....but we didn't want to leave early.

Thank you.

I have to agree with you. The ride from the pier to Red Hook for us was no fun. First, we got to the open air "taxi" and waited at least a half hour until it filled up. Then another 30 minute ride to Red Hook.

I like the idea of getting a ferry from the pier and avoiding Red Hook. And the cost is about the same, but the convenience is significant.