Pregnant and cruising?

moesyk4

After 2 1/2 years of trying to get pregnant with our second, I just got a positive test tonight. I haven't been to the doctor yet or anything, so I'm not 100%, but was just wondering if there's any been there/done that advice with cruising? We are literally 2 days past the final payment date...we purchased cruise insurance, but I don't believe it covers pregnancy normally? I'll have to look into it more. In either case, I REALLY don't want to cancel.

Anyway, I should be okay timing wise...about 16 weeks, so past the morning sickness but not so far along that I can't fly or cruise. Is there anything I should be aware of? Plan for, etc?

I cruised when I was 5 months pregnant (18 yrs ago) without any problems. Now I read that they won't let you on if you 'look' pregnant and needing a doctors note. I look more pregnant now than I did them and no one ever ask.

Congrats!

we went when my wife was pregnant with our first. we sailed close to the cutoff date, but everything went as usual. No real special "planning" or whatever. She didn't drink booze or anything (obviously) and the ship movement didn't make her nauseous or anything....

in my opinion, just go and have fun. Unless you're having a difficult pregnancy, you should be fine. Go, and have fun!

How exciting!

We just had a family cruise with children and their families. Our Daughter-in law was 4 1/2 months along. Carnival has a form that your doctor will fill out about your pregnacy and due date. DIL faxed a copy to Carnival but gave me the original( to keep with our travel documents). Sure enough when we got to the port, the computer flagged her and she had to show them the original statement. So be sure to take it with you.

Also, she does get sea sick. her doctor told her about something that she could take. Not a strong med but it sure helped her. She got a message on board (they are trained for pregnant ladies). She did have to cancel her Zip-lineing excursion though! LOL

Good luck! You will have a great time.

We sailed on the Dream when my wife was 23 weeks pregnant. We got a letter from her doctor certifying how far along she was just in case (no official forms from Carnival), but nobody ever asked for anything.

As far as insurance goes, check the fine print. All policies are different. We chose a policy that specifically covered cancellations due to pregnancy complications, as well as medical care associated with pregnancy complications (thankfully we didn't need to use it :)).

The sailing was uneventful. Besides my wife having to buy a few new outfits to accommodate her growing belly, we did everything we normally do when cruising. Sailing booze-free was not an issue for my wife (she normally doesn't drink back home anyway) and I just had an occasional drink here and there like I normally do.

I cruised to Alaska at 13 weeks. My doctor ordered a synogram before I left to make sure there were no obvious issues. Other than the usual tiredness, I was fine. You may want to have a table with just the two of you if you find you have any food smell sensitivites. I could not stand the sight or smell of chicken. Best wished and have FUN!

First of all congratulations!

I went on our second cruise when I was somewhere between 18-20 weeks pregnant. Like you, I had already booked the cruise and did not want to cancel. It was nice to have time to just relax. We went on a beach excursion which was nice, but I wasn't able to really take part in all that was offered. Drinks were included, and they brought me non-alcoholic versions. I wasn't physically able to keep up with most of the rest of the group I was travelling with, which was a little bit of a bummer, but who's going to complain about laying on a beach in the Caribbean...not me!

At the past guest party, I did have trouble getting the waiters to bring me non-alcoholic drinks. I think I only ever received one the whole time!

At one point I did get some pretty intense heartburn and didn't have anything to help. So come prepared if that is an issue you have.

All in all, it was a nice time. If you go into it with an open mind, I think you will have a great time!

Our next cruise will be another first for us...travelling with a child.

I hope you have a great cruise!

Congratulations! I cruised at 14 weeks and 22 weeks and my advice is to keep well hydrated. Not sure what ports you are visiting, but drink a lot of water. Dehydration can bring on pre-term labor. Happened to me at 31 weeks after a baseball game. Thankfully my labor was stopped with medication and baby was fine, but considered myself so lucky that it didn't happen on a cruise ship.

I cruised at 13 weeks pregnant. I got insurance that covered complications of pregnancy. I had a great time and would do it again. Just have a Carnival rep send you the pregnancy form for your dr to fill out and you can fax it to Carnival. I'd bring a copy as well just in case.

Thanks! Just confirmed today it's definitely true. I think it'll be a great way to celebrate! Only thing that I'm sad about is we've got 3 days in Disney planeed post cruise, and I don't think I can do much there! But i'll enjoy watching our son.

Archived