London to Stockholm

sandbag7

We're booked on Regatta cruise June 20, 2006, visiting Bruges, Amsterdam, Warnemunde, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Helsinki, St. Petersburg, Tallinn and Stockholm. Does Oceania have any transportation to town? If not, how much is the approximate taxi fare to get to each City (for example, the old twon section of Stockholm, Tallinn or Gdansk). Thanks for any information.

Helsinki there is a tram you can take to town

Stockholm you could probably walk it depending on where the ship docks

Copenhagen there is Hop On Hop Off bus and the dock is not far from town so a taxi would not be too much.

St Petersburg you need a visa if going off on your own ...did not see any taxi at the dock but we docked (with another cruiseline) at the commercial dock

If you go by ship's tour or Private guide you will have transport

Tallin we took ships tour so not sure about that one.

We were on this cruise last summer. In Amsterdam and Helsinki you could walk into town. In Tallin I believe we shared a cab with another couple for like $10 or 10 Euros (I can't remember which ) each way. In Stockholm we needed a cab but once again we shared one with another couple. In Copenhagen we picked up a cab to the shopping street and walked throughout that area and then went to Rosenburg palace and later found a cab back to the ship. The price was not bad. In St. Petersburg we used Red October(great tour) and we took ship's tours in Berlin and Gdansk. In Brugges we used Brugges Taxi for app. 5 Euros per person each way (4 couples). We had been to many of the ports like Stockholm, Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Brugges and Helsinki so we explored on our own. In Gdansk we had never been there before and the ship's highlights tour was very good.

Take the tram to the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam. It is within a couple of blocks of the port and let's you off right outside the museum ( and not far from the Van Gogh). The people at the port told us the correct number tram and where too pick it up.

I am taking this cruise on June 6, 2006. Does Oceania not supply shuttle buses to the towns that are not within walking distance? Princess and Celebrity usually do this but there may be a charge for the shuttle.

Hi Carol,

Nice to see that you booked an Oceania cruise. I'm sure you will be happy with the ship -- food, service, amount of passengers, etc. We did Dover to Stockholm in August 2003. The answer to your question might be yes by the time you go in 2006 if more people keep posting that the other lines do provide a shuttle and Oceania should do likewise. I really suggest you get Rick Steves' book on the Baltic ports. He gives great detail on how to get from point a to point b. We also used Red October in St. Petersburg and the six of us were pleased with our tour with them.

We are leaving on Wednesday for the Insignia's Black Sea Cruise.

Sheila

I am taking this cruise on June 6, 2006. Does Oceania not supply shuttle buses to the towns that are not within walking distance? Princess and Celebrity usually do this but there may be a charge for the shuttle.

in some ports they did have a shuttle for a fee ...cheaper to share a taxi in most places.

Do you know if Regatta always docks at the commercial port? Is that anywhere near downtown? Where you could easily walk into town on your own? Thanks J. P.S. Does anyone know the cost of a Russian Visa?

The tram in Amsterdam cost 6.3 Euros. The longest taxi ride was Bruges which was 84 Euros round trip for a van that seats 8, so it comes to about 14 Euros per person. Stockholm was about the equivalent of $10-15 for a cab intop Gamla Stan. Helsinki was a 1o minute walk, and so was Taliinn. The cab fare for Gdansk was $5! Used DenRus for St. Petersburg. Copehangen port was 3 minutes from the bus line that takes you right into town. If you take the train to Rostock from Warnemunde it is 5 Euros round trip, the sightseeing boat was 9 Euros round trip.

Would someone please tell me which of Rick Steves books covers the Baltic ports? I looked at Amazon, but there are many and none of the ones I looked at mentioned the Baltic ports in particular. I thank you.

Archived