Houston, Nov 5-9, no passport required, upgraded

KATHY@HOME

Princess said this sailing is a "closed loop cruise" so you don't need your passport but would need a certified birth certificate & drivers license ( marriage cert. if your name is changed) etc. I'm booked on this ship & everyone is getting some fantastic upgrades to better rooms since sailing is so soon. I have a friend trying to switch work days to make this trip. Anyone done this recently? Since we are all getting a $100 :D tax write off it seems like a great getaway even if she books last minute today. Princess said she can get off too. It's a special charity fundraiser from princess so that is why the tax write off :D

Nice to hear about the upgrades and tax credit. While it is true that you do not need a passport due to the cruise being closed looped if, for some reason you missed the ship or had an emergency that required you to stay on the island, you would need a passport to return home.

I think it is always a good idea for everyone to get a passport.

Yes, passports a great idea. :) Think everyone should get one eventually. Thanks for your thoughts, but also wanted others to know about this option since its just a 4 day cruise with one port. If there was a person without a current passport but would like to travel this is an option for them. This is such a rare occurrence that I thought I should bring it up. Plus wanted to hear if anyone had to deal with the no passport issue & flying home from Mexico.

I figure it's like having liability ins. on a car- you could have full coverage but some people don't choose to do that. I have traveled over 100 cruise days and witnessed those that got sick on ship & they didn't have an option to stay on the ship but were left in a foreign port to deal with medical issues ...then find away back to the states. Made me think twice when I traveled with just my mom one year thinking of all of the what if's! :) I am blessed that freqently we travel as a family group so you have lots of resources & great minds at work to trouble shot problems. :)

You cannot board an airplane destined for the US unless you have a passport. The manifest has to be transmitted to the US in advance or the US will not allow the airplane to enter US airspace. If you find yourself without a passport, you will have to go to the nearest embassy or consulate. They are only open during business hours excluding US holidays and the host nations holidays. The embassy/consulate has to contact DC to get permission to give you a temporary passport. We all know how fast the US government moves so plan on staying a few extra days.

Moral to the story is get a passport.

We are lucky in Houston to have a passport office & if you have $$, paperwork, and a plane ticket or other document like purchased cruise it's very fast to pay for the rush service. I was able to get my passport in 3 days:) for a trip that was a last minute purchase. When I cruised a 32 day voyage in Nov. 2012 from Rome there was a couple that had a bag or 2 with all their passports taken & they did have to get it all taken care of at the Embassy.

See you on the ship satxdiver. Should be a nice sail down to Mexico. I have yet to pack:eek: but 4 days packing should be a snap compared to some of my long trips. Hope we get a few more passengers on this neat Veterans / military themed sailing. Everyone's accountant will be asking us how we got a tax credit/write off & why we didn't call them. See you at the M & G on the 5th.

All the Houston cruises are closed-loop, not just this first short one.

I still like the security of having the passport. I hounded my whole family thru the process of getting the pics done, even drove wife & daughter to the library to apply. Did mine at the Houston Records Office when I got my birth certificate, now THAT was quick and convenient!

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Everyone's accountant will be asking us how we got a tax credit/write off & why we didn't call them. See you at the M & G on the 5th.

Looks like some great deals are still there to be grabbed !

Just note, the $100 - $300 charitable portion of your fare is deductible from income for tax purposes, not a tax credit. There's a significant difference between the two.

~sent using Cruise Critic app~

Just an FYI for Houston cruisers - the Houston Passport Agency in the Mickey Leland Federal building closed for renovations on Sept. 23, 2013 and is expected to reopen early in 2014. No re-opening date has been set.

If you are a single parent traveling with a minor you both must have passports according to Princess. Here is the blurb off the website FAQ:

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all passengers must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all passengers traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

Feels like there are only about three of us who have not receive an upgrade in our roll call. Still original inside cabin for us. Otherwise I have never seem so many upgrades on a roll call from any of the lines we have cruised. Lots of balcony cabins left. When I called was told we could pay to upgrade inside to balcony for $300 for the four days.

That is odd. I took my grandchildren on a 7 day cruise out of Miami without their parents and just used birth certificates. No one asked for permission slips or passports. I had my passport. that was on carnival.

debkjw

Deb - I took one daughter on a 7 day without hubby last year. Had the form as well (Disney) but it was never asked for. I had it notarized as well just in case. Especially if medical emergency and disbarred somewhere other than embarkation port. We have passports anyway. Several entities ask for the letter/form these days but very few ask to see it. Air travel similar as well especially of flying international with a hold but not with both parents.

Archived