Best authentic food and bar near Port

amanderson87

I am leaving on a CC Dec 8 leaving out of San Juan. I am staying the night before and was wondering if anyone had any secret places with amazing/authentic food that's close to the port area. I'm also staying at the Cailbre Hilton so that area as well too, thanks!!!!!

I am leaving on a CC Dec 8 leaving out of San Juan. I am staying the night before and was wondering if anyone had any secret places with amazing/authentic food that's close to the port area. I'm also staying at the Cailbre Hilton so that area as well too, thanks!!!!!

Fatty's (or Fattie's as the sign says, but after talking to the owner it was supposed to be Fatty's when they made the sign)...one person operation, hours vary...4 tables and it's really a hole in the wall. But amazing made from scratch food and very reasonably priced! Yvette is the owner, she's from St Kitts. Although her food isn't strictly Puerto Rican, it's a mix of Jamaican, West Indies and "soul" food. We had an amazing jerk chicken with rice and a curry chicken. She's does a special of the day which I think was under $10, which was the curry chicken, and then we ordered the jerk chicken off the menu and I think it was $12. She's on the north side of Old San Juan, 102 O'Donnell St. (or 102 Calle O'Donnell)

(It's actually just a little south of the pin on the map, about 1/2 way down that block)

fatties.png

IMG_2053.jpg

Edited by valentinebaby1

And then there's Barrachina. It's the original home of the Pina Colada, or so they say (the Hilton Caribe is the other one that claims to be the maker of the original Pina Colada). Regardless, the Pina Colada at Barrachina was the best ever! The food was great too. We didn't get to go on Fri or Sat night, but if you can get in on Saturday night, they have a Flamenco show from 8-9pm, but you have to call ahead and make reservations for the show. Either way it was great authentic PR food and the best Pina Colada I've ever had! It's here:

barrachina-1.png

I wouldn't call Barrachina's amazing or authentic- I doubt you would see locals there.

BUT- if you are staying at Caribe Hilton (2 onsite restaurants, not much else nearby), you must try a Pina Colada at the Hilton and one at Barrachina to compare- the 2 spots both claim to be the originators of the drink.

Check the restaurant reviews on Trip advisor, they are reasonably helpful.

The Happy Hour at the Morton's Steak House at Caribe Hilton is a good deal, but not terribly Puerto Rican.

I like Punto de Vista, but it's a little divey, which may put some people off who are looking for a more upscale experience.

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended. Thanks for your future cooperation.

Edited by Host Kewlguy

But, but...

getting the opinions of locals is The Best Way to find out what to do, where to go, where to stay, and where to eat!

I realize it's possible they may be promoting their own establishments. But I really think most of us appreciate their input. The whole point of these boards is to share first-hand knowledge.

I've gotten a ton of local input on the various Departure boards re hotels, restaurants and parking. How is that different?

I prefer to the locals' knowledge rather than have some recommendation to go to Senor Frogs or Margaritaville from some cruiser who is more interested in drinking than eating. :mad:

Hmm...so I guess the military transferring my husband and I here means my taste buds stopped working, so my opinions aren't valid. Interesting. :cool:

But, but...

getting the opinions of locals is The Best Way to find out what to do, where to go, where to stay, and where to eat!

I realize it's possible they may be promoting their own establishments. But I really think most of us appreciate their input. The whole point of these boards is to share first-hand knowledge.

I've gotten a ton of local input on the various Departure boards re hotels, restaurants and parking. How is that different?

I prefer to the locals' knowledge rather than have some recommendation to go to Senor Frogs or Margaritaville from some cruiser who is more interested in drinking than eating. :mad:

One would think! ;)

Locals living in ports of call are encouraged to contribute, as long as their recommendations are general in nature. Those living in ports of call who recommend individual businesses or tour operators will find that their posts have been removed and their posting privileges may be suspended. Thanks for your future cooperation.

Wow... I'm sorry that I asked...

I didn't see anyone promoting a business. Just helpful answers for someone who will be visiting San Juan before a cruise. I thought that was what this was all about :confused:

Hmm...so I guess the military transferring my husband and I here means my taste buds stopped working, so my opinions aren't valid. Interesting. :cool:

Thank you for answering my questions. I hope that I didn't get you in trouble!

• 4 weeks later...

I did eat dinner on Friday night prior to my cruise at Punt0 de Vista. It poured rain on and off, but I was able to get a table outside and very much enjoyed my shrimp mofongo and mojitos.

Sadly, plantains do not like me nearly as much as I like them and I had a very uncomfortable night.

11101540455_978be00d2c_z.jpg

It was really very tasty!

Here's a pic taken from the rooftop pool area of the Sheraton that shows Pier 4 on the right. On the left, just beyond the first building, you can see yellow awnings (on the side street), which is Punto de Vista.

11101753683_43824d6856_z.jpg

That is also a pier on the far right, directly across from the Sheraton. MSC Divina was docked there for a port stop, so it's possible you could sit on the patio and see two ships in port.

La Mallorquina has been around since 1848!!! Good food but you're really paying for the experience. It closed in 2012 for renovations, scheduled to open Nov.2013--still waiting:( At the Hilton they'll know if it's open by the time you get there or you can call 787-722-3261.

Down the street is Cafe Manolin-very good food. So if Mallorquina is closed you won't walk far. (get's very busy noon-1:00pm)

Another fav. is La Fonda del Jibarito (a.k.a El Jibarito) While Manolin looks more like an old dinner that you'd find in any city, El Jibarito has the vibe and decor of P.R.--if you take a picture of the place when you get home you'll remember where it was taken. It is further away from cruise but worth the extra blocks and both restaurants are about the same price--you can get a HUGE lunch special for +/- $10...

+ you have the FREE trolley to take you up/down and around Old San Juan...

One would think! ;)

Hint: I believe the way CC decides if you are "local" is by your self-defined location… If you are a military family, you could put "around the world thanks to Uncle Sam" as your location ;)

Our flight arrives in San Juan at 7:25 PM. We will be taking a shuttle to our B&B in Ocean Park (Tres Palmas) and we will arrive hungry! I know that the B&B is is a residential area and we will probably have to take a cab to get something to eat. Does anyone know of a good place not too far away from there? Reasonably priced, where we can go casually dressed with good food? There are 8 of us with varied tastes, so something with a general menu would be nice.:)

I know from experience that San Juan "wakes up" at night, so I know there will be places open late. I just don't want to have to go too far after a long travel day (beginning at about 5 AM for us!:eek:)

Our flight arrives in San Juan at 7:25 PM. We will be taking a shuttle to our B&B in Ocean Park (Tres Palmas) and we will arrive hungry! I know that the B&B is is a residential area and we will probably have to take a cab to get something to eat. Does anyone know of a good place not too far away from there? Reasonably priced, where we can go casually dressed with good food? There are 8 of us with varied tastes, so something with a general menu would be nice.:)

I know from experience that San Juan "wakes up" at night, so I know there will be places open late. I just don't want to have to go too far after a long travel day (beginning at about 5 AM for us!:eek:)

Generally speaking, and at the risk of being demerited by the moderators, there are many places to have a great meal in the Ocean Park area. One block south of McLeary street, there's Loiza street. It's a backstreet-type area a world apart from the main tourist drag of Isla Verde/Ocean Park/Condado. There are many seedy places there, and there are some great eateries. Tops is a unmentionable sea food/Puerto Rican comfort food place very popular with locals. Good luck at finding a table on a Friday afternoon/evening. The rest of the time it is quite accessible and affordable. There's also a great Greek restaurant, an Italian/Argentinian pizzeria, a very good Caribbean/Dominican/Cuban/Puerto Rican high traffic restaurant and even some deligtful food trucks. Closer to the Isla Verde area just east of Loiza street, you will also find a fine Argentian steak house and a local organic restaurant.

Explore!

Cafe la Princesa is very close to the pier. I ate there last night and the food was very good, I will definitely go back. I have tried probably a dozen different restaurants in San Juan and this is one of the top.

I tried the red snapper in red creole sauce, others in the party had churrasco stuffed with spicy sausage with a side of mofongo. Mojito with cilantro was surprisingly good as well. It is off Pso De La Princesa and is just west of the pier, less than 5 min walk.

We just got back from a couple of days in San Juan before our cruise. We stayed at the Condado Plaza. We ate at the Ropa Vieja Grill the first night, which is about 1 1/2 blocks from the hotel and it was the best food of the trip. The Risotto Fritters appetizer was great and the Mofongo with shredded flank steak and the Mofongo with shrimp in garlic sauce were fantastic!

We went to Casa Lola the second night (about two and a half blocks from the hotel). the food at Casa Lola was also great. But, the staff at Casa Lola was what really impressed us. When we left the hotel it was dry, but when we were half way there the skies opened up and there was n place to get out of the rain. We arrived soaked to the skin! The staff got us towels and put us at the warmest table in the restaurant and the hostess even came over and gave my wife her jacket to wear. Everyone was wonderful!

We also had a fantastic dining experience at Marmalade in Old San Juan. I wouldn't say that the food was authentic, but it was excellent, and the overall experience with the service, wine pairing, etc. made for a memorable night.

We just got back from a couple of days in San Juan before our cruise. We stayed at the Condado Plaza. We ate at the Ropa Vieja Grill the first night, which is about 1 1/2 blocks from the hotel and it was the best food of the trip. The Risotto Fritters appetizer was great and the Mofongo with shredded flank steak and the Mofongo with shrimp in garlic sauce were fantastic!

We went to Casa Lola the second night (about two and a half blocks from the hotel). the food at Casa Lola was also great. But, the staff at Casa Lola was what really impressed us. When we left the hotel it was dry, but when we were half way there the skies opened up and there was n place to get out of the rain. We arrived soaked to the skin! The staff got us towels and put us at the warmest table in the restaurant and the hostess even came over and gave my wife her jacket to wear. Everyone was wonderful!

We also had a fantastic dining experience at Marmalade in Old San Juan. I wouldn't say that the food was authentic, but it was excellent, and the overall experience with the service, wine pairing, etc. made for a memorable night.

Great choices. Glad you had a great time.

Great choices. Glad you had a great time.

We really enjoyed our time in San Juan. We took a snorkeling cruise to Culebra and Culebrita one day and explored OSJ the next. We also learned enough about Puerto Rico that we are thinking about coming back for a week to explore the rest of the island.

We also had a light lunch at Barrachina on our day in OSJ. We weren't impressed with the food, but the pina coladas were great :)