Montego Bay Shopping

arcone

Hi

One of our port of call is Montego Bay.

What do you think of this port for shopping?

Our other ports is Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

We are trying to plan what we will do at which port.

Any suggestion for must do or see in Montego Bay.

D H says this is a port we might want to stay on the ship.

I appreciate your input. We will be sailing in December

We were there 2 weeks ago------I mostly agree with DH. The venders, when you leave the gated area are the most aggressive I've encountered in the Caribbean, tugging at you to make a sale. We just walked off the ship to the safe gated, secure small shopping area. There are some tours of this beautiful island you might be interested in, but as for going on your own, the other two would be safer.

Edited by chocolate melting cake

We have been there at least a dozen times and love the island. Never had a problem. The vendors are pushy, but if you are not interested just keep walking. I would definitely take a tour of his beautiful island, whether cruising one of thr rivers on a bamboo raft, an excursion to the mountains or even Dunn's river falls. Quite a long trip to the falls, climbing the falls is something you will never forget. HAVE A GREAT CRUISE.

I do not understand the note that above.

I was not responding to a pervious thread

I am asking for people assistance

In shopping and or things to

Do in Montego Bay because

My husband said after reviewing

Several cruising sites that we might

Want to stay on ship due to high

Pressure sales and people

Getting in your personal space

So I told my husband I would pu t

A post on Cruise Critic and see

What it said and then make a decision

From the input. That is the

Reason for the new thread

We had a great time in MB and never was approached by aggressive vendors. They do ask you to step inside their stores for a look,sometimes we went in and sometimes we just said no thanks.

We took a share shuttle from the port to Doctors cave Beach for a few hours, had a few drinks with lunch. We shopped along the Hip Strip and then hailed a cab back to the ship. A very nice day. :)

Hi

One of our port of call is Montego Bay.

What do you think of this port for shopping?

Our other ports is Cozumel and Grand Cayman.

We are trying to plan what we will do at which port.

Any suggestion for must do or see in Montego Bay.

D H says this is a port we might want to stay on the ship.

I appreciate your input. We will be sailing in December

We went to Monetgo bay on 10/06/13 Magic sailing and had a GREAT time. We took a Carnival excursion...swam with dolphins and then had lunch... after which we went to Dunns River Falls which is one of the most incredible places to see. Our Carnival guide was great and honestly not one merchant bothered us. I was worried because I had my teen with me. I would absolutely go again AND get off the ship.. but this IS a port I would take a Carnival excursion on. NONE of the nightmares I had read on CC about the vendors happened to us.

( and we did shop and come home with some trinkets! ) Have a great cruise !!!

We went to MoBay in August and before sailing, I was very concerned about this port due to the negative things that I was hearing. We decided to book an all-inclusive day at Sunset Beach Spa & Resort. They picked us up at the dock and transported us to and from the resort. We never had to deal with any pushy vendors until we returned to the dock that afternoon and walked toward the tents that were set up for them.

I booked through Jamaicaforaday.com and I was very satisfied. The price included transportation to and from the resort, all the food that you wanted (including the buffet), all the drinks, entrance into the resort, etc.

There are several shops located in the building at the dock and they were not pushy at all. As a matter of fact, if you're going to buy any Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, I would suggest purchasing it here because the prices are a little more reasonable that at other places.

I realize that this doesn't cover the subject of just shopping, but I thought you might like to have another option where you would feel safe.

We went on an excursion last week that took us from Falmouth to Montego Bay "at leisure". It include a 2 hr. stop in Montego Bay in which they gave us a choice of shopping or going to the beach. The "best value" shop they took us to was a total rip off. Ridiculously high prices ($32 for a lb. of Jamaican Blue coffee that costs $18 at the dockside shops) and 16.5% tax on everything you bought (there is NO tax at the dockside shops). My advice is go to the beach and save your shopping dollars for the dock--- cheaper prices, no high pressure sales, safe.

I forgot in my previous post to state the beach in Montego Bay. Doctors Cave Beach is beautiful , clean and has very calm warm water and a restaurant/bar. It is just past Margaritaville on the Hip Strip.

I do not understand the note that above.

I was not responding to a pervious thread

I am asking for people assistance

In shopping and or things to

Do in Montego Bay because

My husband said after reviewing

Several cruising sites that we might

Want to stay on ship due to high

Pressure sales and people

Getting in your personal space

So I told my husband I would pu t

A post on Cruise Critic and see

What it said and then make a decision

From the input. That is the

Reason for the new thread

Jamaica is definitely a place that you need to be careful at. I would recommend that you book a ship tour. You will be fine if you do that.

• 2 months later...

I too have the same questions but could someone explain what the Hip Strip is, is this the main street where all the pushy vendors are or what? I would like to shop for material from Jamaica but I don't think I want to venture into the city.:rolleyes:

We were in Mo Bay last week. We walked about 3 blocks on the Hip Strip (the main shopping street). I did not see any fabric stores only grocery stores, T-shirt stores, souvenirs, etc. We did walk off of the main road to a small flea market.