Rockley/Accra Beach - Chairs/Umbrella Question

julesbeara

So Royal Caribbean offers an excursion to The Tiki Hut which it looks like is at Rockley/Accra Beach. Wondering if this excursion includes the cost of the beach chairs/umbrellas at the beach? The cost is $29 per person round trip.

Is this a good deal? Can we taxi their on our own for less money & is it safe too? The Boardwalk sounds interest too.

So Royal Caribbean offers an excursion to The Tiki Hut which it looks like is at Rockley/Accra Beach. Wondering if this excursion includes the cost of the beach chairs/umbrellas at the beach? The cost is $29 per person round trip.

Is this a good deal? Can we taxi their on our own for less money & is it safe too? The Boardwalk sounds interest too.

Following is the description of Royal Caribbean's excursion to the Tiki Bar which is at Rockley/Accra Beach:

"A journey to Paradise is not complete without a visit and leisure time on the beach. Welcome to the relaxing Tiki Bar where you will enjoy some time on one of Barbados’ most beautiful beaches and escape the hustle and bustle of the rest of the Island. Lounge in the comfortable beach chair and if the sun is too hot, relax under the large beach umbrella.

There are also shower and changing facilities on hand and a snack bar that can cater to and satisfy your appetite. Of course, drinks are available and after enjoying your complimentary drink, you will surely ask for more. Please note the wearing of any article of clothing which is camouflage is not allowed in Barbados. Please bring a towel, change of clothing and sun screen."

It sounds to me like it includes the lounge chairs, umbrella, and complimentary drink.

We are planning to go there without taking the ship excursion. I've read reviews for Rockley/Accra Beach and the Tiki Bar on Tripadvisor and people have reported that you can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella for $30 US and that the Tiki Bar gives you "credit" for that amount toward the purchase of food and drinks at their bar/restaurant. I've also read that it is easy to take a taxi or local bus there.

I was there last Saturday. We had beautiful day. It did rain briefly. We just stayed in our

chairs and waited for the rain to pass. A group of us went on our own, got a taxi at the pier. Driver came back at the designated time. No problem. Don't remember exact costs but not expensive. Went to deli across the street and got a great chicken wrap that was yummy. Had a pina colada from hut for $6.00.

Brellas-59.jpg

I've read reviews for Rockley/Accra Beach and the Tiki Bar on Tripadvisor

and people have reported that you can rent lounge chairs and an umbrella for $30 US

and that the Tiki Bar gives you "credit" for that amount ===> Yes they do..

toward the purchase of food and drinks at their bar/restaurant.

I've also read that it is easy to take a taxi or local bus there.

Speaking as a local...

I'm fairly sure that U.S.$ 30 is either a rip-off by the beach-guy

who knows that you don't know/understand the currency conversion rates

--- OR-- someone mixing it up all by themselves! :D

Thirty Barbados Dollars is a lot more likely.

Further clarification: U.S.$ 30 = Bds. $ 60!

Bds.$ 30 = U.S.$ 15

which is a far more likely rate for 2 chairs sharing one umbrella.

Brellas-59.jpg

Speaking as a local...

I'm fairly sure that U.S.$ 30 is either a rip-off by the beach-guy

who knows that you don't know/understand the currency conversion rates

--- OR-- someone mixing it up all by themselves! :D

Thirty Barbados Dollars is a lot more likely.

Further clarification: U.S.$ 30 = Bds. $ 60!

Bds.$ 30 = U.S.$ 15

which is a far more likely rate for 2 chairs sharing one umbrella.

Hello Aplmac,

Thanks for providing clarification about the conversion rate for BDS $ and US $. I will be very happy if we are only charged BDS $30 and not $US30. I read a number of reviews on Tripadvisor where people reported paying BDS $60 for 2 loungers and an umbrella, with credit toward food and drinks. I'll make sure to ask someone at the restaurant and not just a beach guy. I enjoy reading your posts with beautiful pictures and information about Barbados.

Mary

Hello Aplmac,

Thanks for providing clarification

about the conversion rate for BDS $ and US $. ===> US$1 = Bds.$2 therefore US$ 8 = Bds. $ 16...as an example

I will be very happy if we are only charged BDS $30 and not $US30.

I read a number of reviews on Tripadvisor

where people reported paying BDS $60

for 2 loungers and an umbrella, with credit toward food and drinks. ===> In that case... Eat and drink! Enjoy!

I'll make sure to ask someone at the restaurant and not just a beach guy.

I enjoy reading your posts with beautiful pictures and information about Barbados. ===> Thank you, Mary.

Just bear in mind that there are beach-guys who supply chairs and umbrellas,

with zero connection to any food & drink sources or restaurant.

On the other hand....

If Tiki Bar charges you more than the beach-guy -but you get that value back in food and drink

I reckon that's a good deal.

You end up eating and drinking Bds.$60-worth of food and drink

thus getting the day's chairs and umbrella fer free!

Here's a view from that same bldg. on the beach

back when it was Bar Kanei -looking West.

BarK-071.jpg

The South Coast Boardwalk is at the far end of the beach, going further West again

- in the general direction of Hilton, if you walk far enough..

• 1 month later...

We were at the Tiki Hut in May....

You are charged $60 BDS ($30 USD) for two chairs and an umbrella. You receive $60 BDS in "monopoly" money for use at the Tiki bar and restaurant. They have a ton of drinks available, and the food was decent (typical bar style food). The restaurant is full service and shaded. If you spent all day there it wouldn't be difficult to eat and drink your way through the $60 monopoly money. One great thing about this place is the bathrooms are spotless, and checked/cleaned numerous times a day. We were talking to the owner (an ex-pat) who comment that American's love a clean bathroom, and he does everything in his power to make sure they are always clean!

The guys that do the chairs were employees of the Tiki Hut, and did what they could to make sure you had a good time.

It was fun to see a load of cruise ship passengers come from an ship based excursion in the morning, and leave around noon, for another group of ship passengers arrive a few minutes later. I'm not sure if the ship excursions get the same "monopoly" money or not. I know I wouldn't use a ship excursion, and would DIY it. You pay the same amount and get the entire day to spend at the beach.

They are on facebook search "the tiki hut" if you have more specific questions to ask before you go. Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...
Anyone know where to get more information on the Tiki Hut? The only thing I can find is the bar that's open at night.

The Tiki Bar is located at Accra/Rockley and the Tiki Hut is listed as being in Holetown. If you check out TripAdvisor-Barbados under Restaurants (The Tiki Bar, Rockley) there are pictures, information, and many reviews.

We are planning to go there in April. I hope that this helps.

Mary

Edited by marys350
correcting errors