Who thinks night life on a River Cruise has to change

Count me in as another vote for "no change needed" - we were too exhausted after a full day of touring to want to stay up and drink - plus the tours always started pretty early in the morning! I'm in my late 20's and no stranger to having late-night fun on ocean cruises, but a river cruise is a completely different experience.

The couple nights we did have the energy to stay up past dinner, we explored Linz, which was fun. After all - you take a river cruise to see these great destinations, right? We also shared a bottle of wine with our new-found friends on the sun deck one evening in Budapest, enjoying the lights of the city. I really didn't need a DJ playing Top 20s hits or anything and I feel like the rest of the passengers did not either.

Demographically speaking...river cruisers tend to be experienced, past ocean cruisers who are looking for something new. Many are usually 50+ in age but still very active and social.

A typical day tends to be a lot of walking, involving inclines and stairs, biking and such. I'm active and nearing 50...but still find myself tuckered out after dinner. Evening entertainment is welcomed to me some nights...but I tend to turn in early to recharge for the following day.

we like the experience of European river cruises. we have done 6 so far and no ocean cruising as yet. we like the style of travel, the ease to see places. everyone likes different things and will find a travel product that suits them.

we do not enjoy loud music or heavy drinking and that type of night life would offer no appeal to us. we like it as it is. the river ships have cabins close to lounges so noise factors would need to be considered if late parties are to be the norm.

It is a huge jump from no nightlife to excessive drinking and loud parties and I certainly was not suggesting the latter.

We are very active by day and still enjoy a bit more entertainment after dinner than the house piano player working his way through the same limited song set.

We are perfectly happy not having the ocean cruise entertainment. It is much more laid back and relaxing. If you want to be entertained then perhaps an ocean cruise should be considered. I think there is a difference for a reason.

Spot on Jiminy....I've done both and I have to say I love Celebrity and will cruise with them as soon as I've completed my river cruise itinerary!:D We tend to do the same on Celebrity as we do on river cruise, which is get up early, spend the day on shore sightseeing, have a nice leisurely dinner followed by a walk either around the ship or on shore, and then put on our jammies and read for an hour or two. Granted it may be boring as heck for some, especially a young someone, but it works for us and we have some fantastic memories of places we've been and people we've met and isn't that what it's all about anyway?

We are perfectly happy not having the ocean cruise entertainment. It is much more laid back and relaxing. If you want to be entertained then perhaps an ocean cruise should be considered. I think there is a difference for a reason.

We totally dislike ocean cruising on the mass market lines. They have devolved over the past ten years or so to an experience we simply do not enjoy.

We did enjoy our recent Oceania cruise as it lacked all of the things we dislike about the mass market lines. And the live music in the evenings was very well done.

We enjoy river cruising and have done 6 so far. We will continue to do so and hope that the entertainment evolves as the market for river cruises continues to expand the demographic beyond the senior market.