INFINITY & MILLENIMU / ITINERARY SWITCH

brandylane5102

Maybe I missed reading it, but will the crews also switch ships? You get to know some of the crew members and look forward to taking a cruise with them again. We are on the Millennium right after it comes out of dry dock and will be the first time on her, but have taken the Infinity twice and the Constellation once. I feel sure that they will replace the pods on the Millennium when she is in dry dock so should not have problems on the SA cruise. We had pod problem on the SA Infinity cruise and missed stopping in Ecuador. It was still a great cruise.

Don

The crews will not change ships. Think of it this way, how do you move 2000 people and all of their belonging is the matter of two hours and at the same time prepare for the next cruise.

The only possible date for this change is December 24, so you will be cruising before the change of ships.

As to the pods, they are not being replaced. The only thing they might do is replace the thrust bearings. Until the lawsuit is settled, there is not much they can do with regard to replacing the pods.

Hi Everyone - Yes Everyone Is Right , Up To This Point In Time , This Is Only A Rumor . No Sense Calling Customer Service Or Your Local Ta - - As They Will All Find Out At The Same Time We Do.

"chessbriar" - The Only Date This Can Happen Is Dec. 24 , When Both Ships Are In Ft. Lauderdale And Then Going Back To Their Original Itinerary Again On April 2 , 2006. Personnally , My Feeling Is That When This Is Announced The Bookings For Infintiy Will Go Through The Roof For The Winter Season. The Bookings Were Already Strong For South America .

"gann" - - No The Crews Will Not Change Ships . The New Policy At Celebrity Is To Keep Crews Together For Continuity - - Which Improves Overall Customer Service And Satisfaction And Makes The Crew Feel Part Of A Bigger Family .

" Cd Baum" - As Long As Your Cruise Is Before Dec. 24 -- You Will Still Be On The Millenium.

So At This Point - - All We Can Do Is Wait For Their Decision To Be Announced.

Dear " Florisdekort" - - It Appears That Your Next 3 Cruises Will Be On The Millenium . You Have Chosen Some Excellent Itineraires For Your Next Several Cruises And I Wish We Could Join You. Looking Forward To Reading Your Reviews Down The Road .

While It Is Correct That This Thread Is Speculation Until This Move Is Announced By Celebrity - We Believe This Decision Has Already Been Made And Celebrity Is Waiting For The Appropriate Time To Announce. But , Since It Is Not That Long Off Until Dec. 24/05 - - Luckily We Will Not Have To Wait Too Long.

Brandylane, you may think this is a great thing, but what about those of us who may be switched from the Millennium to a ship (Infinity) that has had problems over and over again. While it may make "perfect business sense", it doesn't make me happy that I may be sailing a ship that may experience mechanical problems and my cruise could be cancelled. Am I supposed to be less disappointed because my 7 day cruise is interrupted as opposed to somebody else's 14 day cruise?

I realize this is still all speculation, but I for one do not prefer to cruise on a ship that has had numerous mechanical problems.

- - I Believe It's Been 4 Years In A Row Where They Had To Cancel At Least One Cruise And Do A Pod Repair. The Millenium On The Other Hand , For Whatever Reason,has Not Had These Problems. So , From A Business Point Of View , It Makes Perfect Sense To Send The Millenium To South America Over The 3 Winter Months And Keep The Infinity Based Out Of Ft. Lauderdale Where It Will Probably Be Doing One Week Sailings. .

:confused:

Ok...so MY question is...why is it taking Celebrity so long to come up with a permanent solution to the POD problem??? This has been going on for 4 years????? :eek:

I just booked a 2 week cruise on the Infinity, for 2006, so she won't be making only 7 day sailings.....I don't care if I'm switched to another ship...hey, I'll go with the flow...I'd rather that than have the propulsion system give out in the middle of my cruise.

Does anyone know if the Infinity is scheduled for a dry dock to fix the POD problem between now and fall 2006??? Are they just going to ignore it and give it a 'patch' job every time it gives out???

:confused:

Ok...so MY question is...why is it taking Celebrity so long to come up with a permanent solution to the POD problem??? This has been going on for 4 years????? :eek:

I just booked a 2 week cruise on the Infinity, for 2006, so she won't be making only 7 day sailings.....I don't care if I'm switched to another ship...hey, I'll go with the flow...I'd rather that than have the propulsion system give out in the middle of my cruise.

Does anyone know if the Infinity is scheduled for a dry dock to fix the POD problem between now and fall 2006??? Are they just going to ignore it and give it a 'patch' job every time it gives out???

It isn't quite that simple, like most problems in the real world. The actual challenge of "fixing" the problem has been in the hands of the manufacturer and designers of the pods in question for quite some time now, and a definitive "fix" has not been forthcoming. Unfortunately, there's little Celebrity can do to this end, other than keep the heat on, which they've done in numerous ways, including a lawsuit.

Celebrity certainly isn't ignoring the problem, and what they are doing is far from a "patch" job. I've heard engineers refer to the "Dorothy Dilemma" -- which is that, in real life, you can't simply click your heels and wish for what you want and have it come true.

As an aside, the pods used on these vessels are not the only ones to have some problems as they see regular use. Also, a ship is designed with the chosen propulsion system as part of the total equation, so there isn't the simple fix of switching to another type of pod, either.

Cruising depends on a massive, complicated piece of machinery to function well, and sometimes things happen -- I guarantee no-one would like this issue to go away more than Celebrity, as they lose far more than anyone else every-time these problems cause rescheduling and canceling cruises.

Brandylane, you may think this is a great thing, but what about those of us who may be switched from the Millennium to a ship (Infinity) that has had problems over and over again. While it may make "perfect business sense", it doesn't make me happy that I may be sailing a ship that may experience mechanical problems and my cruise could be cancelled. Am I supposed to be less disappointed because my 7 day cruise is interrupted as opposed to somebody else's 14 day cruise?

I realize this is still all speculation, but I for one do not prefer to cruise on a ship that has had numerous mechanical problems.

I have to agree with jerseygirl --- why is "fair" for us 7-day cruisers to be inconvenienced more than the 14-day cruisers?

I hope this is only a rumor and it never comes down to me having to choose between a ship that "may" have a problem versus cancelling because I cannot take that chance.

Personally, I booked this cruise because of this particular ship (along with the fact a lot of my cruise-buddies are going).

Mary in NC <---waiting to see what happens before final payment is due

It isn't quite that simple, like most problems in the real world. The actual challenge of "fixing" the problem has been in the hands of the manufacturer and designers of the pods in question for quite some time now, and a definitive "fix" has not been forthcoming. Unfortunately, there's little Celebrity can do to this end, other than keep the heat on, which they've done in numerous ways, including a lawsuit.

Celebrity certainly isn't ignoring the problem, and what they are doing is far from a "patch" job. I've heard engineers refer to the "Dorothy Dilemma" -- which is that, in real life, you can't simply click your heels and wish for what you want and have it come true.

As an aside, the pods used on these vessels are not the only ones to have some problems as they see regular use. Also, a ship is designed with the chosen propulsion system as part of the total equation, so there isn't the simple fix of switching to another type of pod, either.

Cruising depends on a massive, complicated piece of machinery to function well, and sometimes things happen -- I guarantee no-one would like this issue to go away more than Celebrity, as they lose far more than anyone else every-time these problems cause rescheduling and canceling cruises.

You're absolutely right...I'm sure that Celebrity isn't doing a patch job...this must be a huge thorn in their side as it is for other lines with the POD system....it and of course it is the manufacturer's responsibility to come up with a solution to the problem...it just seems like 4 years is a long time. I didn't realize that pods have been in use that long already and it was a shock to see that it has been 4 years.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me...just get me on a ship and I'll be happy even if I'm drifting around :D

I have to agree with jerseygirl --- why is "fair" for us 7-day cruisers to be inconvenienced more than the 14-day cruisers?

I hope this is only a rumor and it never comes down to me having to choose between a ship that "may" have a problem versus cancelling because I cannot take that chance.

Personally, I booked this cruise because of this particular ship (along with the fact a lot of my cruise-buddies are going).

Mary in NC <---waiting to see what happens before final payment is due

durango...the '7 day' thing is hogwash...like I said, I just booked a 14 day on the Infinity for Nov 2006....so we can both be inconvenienced ;)

it's all good.

To be honest, I'm a little more nervous about the 'odor' problems I've seen reported on the Infinity...especially since I have an aft cabin booked and that is where the odors have been coming from. I hope they fix THAT by fall of next year!!! :eek:

Hi Everyone - - Well This Is Getting To Be Quite The Interesting Thread And Discussion.

- To " Justfor411" - - Regarding The Supposed Court Case With The Manufacturers Of The Pod System. I Had Heard Over A Year Ago Already That The Lawsuit Was For $300 Million - - Which In My Books Is A Pretty Serious Lawsuit. Have You Heard Anything As To When This Is Going To Trial Or Any Other Details . No Question , That Celebrity Wants This Whole Issue Resolved As Well And Have Everyone Only Talking About Their Great Experiences.

- To " Jerseygirl" , Your Cruise Will Not Be Cancelled As You Will Be On A Fabulous M Class Ship.

- To "halos" , I'm With You , The Infinity Is A Great Ship To Be On And I Think Those 7 Day Caribbean Cruises Over The Winter Will Sell Like Hotcakes.

Finally , The Ifinity Just Got Back In Vancouver This Morning From Alaska - - So We'll See What New Feedback People Are Hearing In Talking To The Crew About Where They Will Be Next Winter.

Hi Everyone - - Well This Is Getting To Be Quite The Interesting Thread And Discussion.

- To " Jerseygirl" , Your Cruise Will Not Be Cancelled As You Will Be On A Fabulous M Class Ship.

brandylane5102: If it was as simple as you have stated in your reply to jersygirl, then there is no need to switch ships.

I am guessing that you are a TA or are in the business as you are looking at this based on how it will effect future bookings.

However, were I come from, they have a term for that business practice: BAIT and SWITCH. It is not a nice term.

If the ships are really just the same, then why the Infinity attract a bunch of new business to the caribbean. What's better about Infinity over Millie?

How would you feel, if Celebrity changes the room you reserved for your next cruise? After all, are all 2A rooms great rooms?

'cfprunner" - - Unfortunately Not A "ta" As I Pay The Same Price For My Cruises As You Do. But , I Am A "elite" Member And Will Be On

4 Celebrity Cruises This Year And Have Already Booked 4 More Next Year. Consequently , I Do Follow Pretty Closely What Celebrity Does And Try To Understand And Guess Some Of Their Management Decisions.

You Are Correct About One Thing, Not All " 2b" Cabins Are Created Equally - - Some Are Definitely More Advantageous Than Others. But , A Certain " 2b" Cabin On One " M " Class Ship Will Be Exactly The Same As On All The Other " M " Class Ships.

Ships Do Take On Certain Personalities All Of Their Own And Do Tend To Attract A Certain Following - - And So While A Number Of People Will Look Forward To The Possible Change , Some Might Not. In Either Case , Everyone Will Have A Great Cruise .

I just read on an Infinity thread that the poster had been notified that his Carribbean cruise had been changed to Infinity. He was concerned about the brown water on Infinity as am I (also the smell).

Who is making the notification and when would it take place? I'm on one of the first cruises which would be affected (01/02) and haven't heard anthing.

Hi Everyone - Well It Now Appears That The Announcement Could Be Coming Out Very Shortly About The Switch In Ships. In Our Discussion Earlier - I Guess We Should Also Have Looked At The Millenium Being In Dry Dock For One Week Towards The End Of November .

On Other Threads On The Infinity - - Some People Have Talked To Celebrity Sales Managers , Who Also Have Stated That The Change Is Taking Place T0 Save Wear & Tear On The Pods On Infinity & That A Permanent Solution Is Being Worked On.

As Far As A Bad Smell On The Infinity On The Penthouse Deck , Have Talked To Some Friends Who Were On An Alaska Cruise 10 Days Ago And They Did Not Notice This , So Perhaps This Has Been Resolved.

I just read on an Infinity thread that the poster had been notified that his Carribbean cruise had been changed to Infinity. He was concerned about the brown water on Infinity as am I (also the smell).

Who is making the notification and when would it take place? I'm on one of the first cruises which would be affected (01/02) and haven't heard anthing.

an odor AND brown water???????? :eek:

Well...I have quite a few days on my countdown clock....I'm hoping this is all history by the time I sail this ship.

Angel, Long time no see! This week is the first I've been on the boards since last June. You were a HUGE help to me when we took the grandsons on the Miracle. We've created cruise-aholics now. You were right...the lifeboats didn't get in the way of the view from the balconies in either cabin. Thanks for all the help...It was the only time we've ever sailed Carnival. You will LOVE Celebrity!!! We sailed the Infinity 4 years ago when she was brand new, on her first sailing to Hawaii. The cabins are large, as is the veranda. The food is excellent! We go back to the early 1980's with Celebrity ships, and even sailed on the old Meridian. Have a WONDERFUL cruise, and congratulations on the youngest being off to college now. P.S. Arnold our doxie is not paralyzed anymore thanx to his operation..hooray. BTW, we are going to spend a week at Winthrop at Lake Cobbossawsee Maine the end of August, and another week there the end of September for the bassmaster's divisional tournament. We're heading out to Pittsburgh for the bassmaster's classic next week. I may not check back on the boards for quite a while, & if I don't see you again....HAPPY SAILING!

Now that the switch is official, what happens to the roll call threads? Do they get moved? Will I post in the Millie 1/22/6 thread on the Infinity Board? :eek:

The switch is official? What do you know, that I don't??

sue

Celebrity yesterday told me they could not speculate about the switch. However this was posted today:

Quote:

Originally Posted by warmwinds

Roger...you said you have "just been advised" that you will be on the Infinity rather than the Millenium next March...advised by whom? Celebrity itself? We're on the Millenium for a Caribbean cruise in February and have not heard anything. Were you called, e-mailed, what?

We have received the confirmation of our Cruise last week, 5 days after having made the booking (at that time still meaning it will be Millenium). In one of the Forums I saw a message from a Cruiser that Millenium has been relaced by Infinity for the Carribiean cruises due to Motor problems that could be handled better while she (Millenium) is sailing in Europe. I was therefore not astonished to receive a confirmation mentioning INFINITY (since she is exatly the same but 1 year younger.....).

Nothing is "official". This topic remains 100% speculation.

One person is speading a rumor, and the more people talk about it, the more people start to believe this rumor. Amazing!

Nobody at Celebrity (Captain's Club, Reservations, etc.) knows anything about this. And Celebrity sure is not sending out confirmations for Infinity cruises in the Carribean, as the previous poster claims. Just check their webiste.

Regards,

Floris

Nothing is "official". This topic remains 100% speculation.

Nobody at Celebrity (Captain's Club, Reservations, etc.) knows anything about this. And Celebrity sure is not sending out confirmations for Infinity cruises in the Carribean, as the previous poster claims. Just check their webiste.

Regards,

Floris

It should be noted that when Infinity had her pod problems in 2001, and my cruise was affected and the next week's was canceled, the Celebrity website was updated the JUST 2 DAYS BEFORE WE LEFT--showing the new stops we would make (Good-bye Grenada, Hello Nassau). However, the change was known for a month here and on another board for addicts of criusing (that was before I learned of this site).

When I asked for clarification about notification of switch, the following was posted:

Hi Holly2

I have now rechecked with the Cruiseline and it seems that they made an error. I have received a new confiramtion showing "Millenium" as the vessel used for the cruise.

This wi^ll hopefuly avoid the problem with "brown water"

Sorry for the troubles created to many cruisers

Roger

Archived