Oosterdam questions.

We have just booked a cruise on the Oosterdam and I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions.

Do the cabins have fridges.We have no idea where we are as we have booked a guarantee.

How strict are they on formal night.Do you HAVE to wear a jacket or is shirt and tie ok.I don't have a problem just need to know whether I have to go and buy one.

Is there a Laundromat on board ?

Have been on Oosterdam a number of time and again this Xmas. Nice ship. The cabins have a sort of fridge. They keep things coolish but not hugely cold and they do not have a freezer. You also get an ice bucket which is filled each day with ice.

Please don't start another thread about formal nights. These are very contentious as some love em and some hate em. I always take a tux or what we aussies call a dinner suit, along but more and more seem to just wear a suit and tie. This is for the main dining room. It is stated in advance about formal nights, and HAL is a bit more oldfashioned than other lines, so I think people should at least try. If guys will not wear even a suit and tie on formal nights then I would suggest they eat those nights in the buffet where the formal thing doesn't apply. I know others will write in and say they've paid the same as everyone else and if they want to dine informally in the restaurant on formal nights then they bloody well will. I cannot agree with this but if we get started we'll end up with a dozen pages of half who go one way and half the other.

Oosterdam does not have self service laundries like some of the smaller HAL ships. I purchase and unlimited laundry and pressing package which costs about $7 a day for just laundry or about $12 a day with the ironing included and I think its great as you can take less clothes with you by getting them washed and ironed regularly but remember it takes 24-48 hrs to get them back to your cabin. You can also pay by the job if you prefer.

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy the Oosty. I expect you will.

Just to add, I note most of your previous has been on P & O or Carnival. You will definitely find HAL has an older and more traditional feel about it and the passengers reflect this in age and attitude. This is something I like as I'd rather sit with a nice glass of wine listening to music than stand with a beer in hand around the pool bar. That's why I make the point about formal nights. I don't think HAl would refuse you entry to the dining room without a jacket, although I can't be sure because I've never tried but I just think seeing the majority of people in their good bib and tucker adds to the experience. Do P & O and Carnival even have formal nights these days?

We don't like formal nights but do like HAL in general so boarding in a couple of weeks. I wrote to HAL to reconfirm current formal night dress code and was told that code also applies to Lido buffet as well. Has anyone seen this lately?

When we were on the Oosterdam last year - We saw a man turning up for Dinner on formal night without a jacket so they offered him one , they seemed to have a few on hand .

:)

If you have set dining (early or late) and are at a large table, there is a good chance that you will share the table with an officer on formal night. This happened to us a few years ago on the Volendam, and for the first time ever, my husband decided to leave his jacket in the cabin! When we arrived at the dining room he was asked to put on a loan jacket, but he was able to go back to the cabin and collect his own. We ended up having dinner with the Hotel Manager. He shouted some VERY nice wines :)

If you don't want to lug a tux/suit you can always hire one on board. They have women's wear as well. There are links to the hire company on the HAL website. (You may have to log in and go to your reservation to book formal wear)

Cheers,

Just wondering if anyone on here has had an inside cabin on a cruise on the Oosterdam. If so, how did you find it? We are doing the 14 night trip round trip to NZ from Sydney, departing on December 8, so not many sleeps to go now. :D

We don't like formal nights but do like HAL in general so boarding in a couple of weeks. I wrote to HAL to reconfirm current formal night dress code and was told that code also applies to Lido buffet as well. Has anyone seen this lately?

The Formal Night Dress Code is for the Main Dining Room and the Pinnacle Grill.

Formal Night Dress Code does not apply in the Lido Buffet Restaurant and the Canaletto (a section of the Buffet which is transformed into the Canaletto for dinner).

We had dinner in the Canaletto one formal night last month on the Volendam.

The dress code applies to all HAL ships.