Beverage Package- in advance?

holomuku

Good day to all,

I am wondering if any advantage exists for booking the Signature Beverage Package in advance? I'm pretty sure we want to do this as we did it on two other lines and enjoyed the freedom of not worrying about signing for bills, etc. Did we get our money's worth? Hard to say- but we felt it was worth it in both cases. One thing I noticed is that in the pre-booked package is doesn't say anything about "premium" (as in Grey Goose- DH's favorite) not being included. All it says is "anything $7.00 or under is included" which Grey Goose is $6.95 on the last menu I saw. Would this issue be worth it to pre-book? I'm pasting below what the HAL website says about the package-

quote:

Our convenient, affordable Signature Beverage Package allows you to select from a variety of wine, beer, spirits, cocktails (including non-alcoholic), sodas & coffee! Includes any beverage priced at a $7.00 or lower menu price. Up to 15 beverages per day. * Prices are per day; Signature Beverage Package for $44.95* per day, per person a 15% service charge is not included and will be automatically applied to your purchase. The package must be purchased for the entire duration of the voyage. Up to a 15-drink maximum per day. All adults over 21 years old booked in the same stateroom must also purchase the package. Participants may order only one drink at a time. No sharing is permitted. Excludes Mini Bar, In-Room Dining, & beverages on Half Moon Cay. Packages are not transferable or refundable. Beverage management reserves the right to revoke the package if misused and reserves the right to refuse service for any reason; including refusing service of alcoholic beverages to intoxicated customers. Must be 21 years or older to purchase and agree not to give to minors.

unquote

Our travel insurance would cover most of that amount, however not all, should we (heaven forbid) need to cancel at the last minute for whatever reason. Also, we have a $150 OBC- would they apply that to a pre-booked beverage package? As always, your thoughts and advice are appreciated.

If you've found it worthwhile in the past, I should think you would again. Pre-paying for it helps spread out the costs of the cruise, just like it does with excursions. If you get a card for the package, by pre-paying, it might have your name printed on it.

My understanding is that, so long as the price of a drink is $7 or less, the package covers it, no matter the category of drink (premium, call, house, etc.)

On board credit is only applied to things purchased or booked on board, not online prior to the cruise.

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by 0bnxshs

• 2 weeks later...

My DW and I are cruising soon and are considering the 17 Day Signature Beverage Package. However we're trying to earn more points and wonder if I purchase the packages on line pre-boarding will we earn bonus cruise day credits. HAL web site says bonus points are based on onboard spending but HAL rep with ship services (on the phone) says the purchase will count. Anyone have first hand experience with this.

This is from HAL www.

"Earn Bonus Cruise Day Credits

Increase your Mariner Star status simply by enjoying your cruise.

In addition to earning Cruise Day credits for each actual day sailed, there are also easy ways you can earn bonus Cruise Day credits. The more Cruise Day credits you collect, the faster you increase your Mariner Star status, and the more exciting rewards you’ll receive.

Suite Bonus When you book a spacious suite or penthouse on your next cruise, you’ll not only enjoy special amenities, but you also qualify for double Cruise Day credits. For instance, guests who pay full fare for suite accommodations on a 10-day cruise earn 20 Cruise Day credits.

Onboard Spending Bonus One bonus cruise day credit will be granted for each $300 in onboard purchases. This is calculated on the combined folio charges for all guests on the booking, regardless of who signs each charge and who pays the bill. There is a limit of one bonus day for each day sailed, and 3rd and 4th guests on the same booking do not earn the onboard spending bonus."

END QUOTE

Also, I assuming the package includes wine and specialty coffees in the MDR.

Thanks,

Ryan

... and wonder if I purchase the packages on line pre-boarding will we earn bonus cruise day credits.
Yes, all pre-purchases of beverages, excursions, restaurant reservations, etc count toward your bonus day spending. Even gifts of them purchased by your TA or friends/family count.

Our cruise is not an "Explore 4" eligible cruise.....however we decided to wait and purchase the beverage package when boarding- want to try and see what they have for wines before we make the decision. Apparently the choices are not too wonderful.

As for spreading out the cost- we've put the $$ away as if we purchased it and we'll go from there. Decisions, decisions, decisions!

Thank you for the input, all is appreciated.

Our fall cruise on the Noordam (TA) is eligible for the Explore4...but right after the promotion ended, the price dropped $1000 per cabin for a VD! So I opted out and took the lower rate...and moved from a VB on the stern to a VD on the port side.

I think Explore4 was just another gimmick. :rolleyes:

Pricing for my cruise hasn't budged one iota for verandahs, and Signature Suites, Neptune Suites and the penthouse suites are sold out... thought pricing may drop after Explore4 was done, and/or after final payment, but it just hasn't been the case here.