a snorkelers review of St. Thomas

slabeaume

My wife and I are visiting ST in December via cruise ship. Normally I would take an excursion from the cruise line. However, none of them appeal to me. Doing some research for snorkel sites in ST, I saw that Secret Harbour seemed like one of the best since it was linked to the wildlife preserve.

My question is do I need to go through one of the ST guide companies or can I take a cab to SH and snorkel on my own? If so, what is an approx cost for the cab ride (roundtrip).

Thanks

My question is do I need to go through one of the ST guide companies or can I take a cab to SH and snorkel on my own? If so, what is an approx cost for the cab ride (roundtrip).

Thanks

Yes just grab a taxi at the dock heading that way, there will be a taxi coordinator to help you, $18 - 24pp RT depending on your port

Edited by blue_water

That's a great review OP. And beautiful pics! wow!

DH and I will be visiting St. Thomas for the second time next summer. This time we will have our kids (11 and 6) and we want to accomplish several things while there. DH loves to snorkel, the kids love playing in the water, I like relaxing with a drink in hand and enjoying the sun, maybe some good island music in the background. I am leaning towards Coki based on everything I've read here. But now I'm thinking of Elysian, which I never heard of. Which beach is the best to satisfy us all - if possible? Also, will we be able to squeeze in a visit to Magic Ice and some shopping if we spend a couple of hours at the beach? We're docked from 10am-6pm. TIA.

That would be Coki or Sapphire. We would choose Sapphire for the best snorkeling, beach, drinks, and island views, but for a livelier vibe you'll want Coki.

Even with just 8 hrs in port you would be able to spend time downtown if you budget your time the beach. Magic Ice is right in the shopping area and you can do that in 30 minutes or less and then shop a bit. For a great burger try Coconuts at 10 Main St.

That would be Coki or Sapphire. We would choose Sapphire for the best snorkeling, beach, drinks, and island views, but for a livelier vibe you'll want Coki.

Even with just 8 hrs in port you would be able to spend time downtown if you budget your time the beach. Magic Ice is right in the shopping area and you can do that in 30 minutes or less and then shop a bit. For a great burger try Coconuts at 10 Main St.

Awesome! Thanks blue water. Is it easy to catch a cab to either beach from Magic Ice or Coconuts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

cruizinisthebest--Elysian gets no publicity so there's hardly anyone there. Snorkeling is great inches from the beach. The casual restaurant has great food and great views. The fine restaurant also has great views and is suppose to have great food. The beach at the Elysian isn't nearly as large as the other beaches, but it certainly has it's charm.

Coki gets too crowded for our likes, but is gorgeous. Sapphire is beautiful, too, and very large, but the best snorkeling was quite a ways out.

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the beaches---especially if the sun is shining.

• 4 weeks later...
The Elysian sounds great. Should we go there instead of going to St. John?

really depends on the experience you want. Do you want snorkeling and amenities and natural shade? If so we would head to Sapphire rather than Cowpet Bay. Just our opinion of course.

really depends on the experience you want. Do you want snorkeling and amenities and natural shade? If so we would head to Sapphire rather than Cowpet Bay. Just our opinion of course.

Is Sapphire the beach with the snorkeling far out from the shoreline? DH would love to snorkel but he's only done it a few times. Not sure how comfortable he would be.

cruizinisthebest--Elysian gets no publicity so there's hardly anyone there. Snorkeling is great inches from the beach. The casual restaurant has great food and great views. The fine restaurant also has great views and is suppose to have great food. The beach at the Elysian isn't nearly as large as the other beaches, but it certainly has it's charm.

Coki gets too crowded for our likes, but is gorgeous. Sapphire is beautiful, too, and very large, but the best snorkeling was quite a ways out.

I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the beaches---especially if the sun is shining.

Just saw this before I posted my last question. Sorry.

Is Sapphire the beach with the snorkeling far out from the shoreline? DH would love to snorkel but he's only done it a few times. Not sure how comfortable he would be.

Yes snorkeling is possible right from shore at Sapphire, you can go further out if a better swimmer but no need to for good snorkeling. Coki isvalso good from shore but very crowded and people feeding fish there.

We are looking for snorkeling where it is not a party atmosphere. Quiet would be nice that is why we were thinking of going to St. John. If Sapphire is just as good then we can save time and go there.We have never been to either before. This is our first Southern Caribbean Cruise.

Edited by shayausten

Hard call as Sapphire is a great choice and many ppl go there for some of the best off the beach snorkeling and because it's comfortable (and saves another hour or more of travel). Others will head straight to Maho or Francis on STJ for an even quieter spot with few amenities. Less protected than Trunk but much less crowded. Secret Harbor is another favorite on STT, we just prefer Sapphire. Coki would be a livelier vibe with lots of people and so not what you're after.

The beaches of STJ are gorgeous and we go there for a day when staying on Sapphire. For a cruise stop we would go to Sapphire because it has everything, and when we've been there on big ship days it was always still comfortable. Sapphire is home to 3 condo resorts and so is pretty quiet as compared to other beaches.

Snorkeling at any of these beaches could be impacted by weather and another option is a daysail like Yacht Nightwind or New Horizon (both out of the Sapphire Marina) and mooring off the cays of STJ for great snorkeling.

Edited by blue_water

Yes snorkeling is possible right from shore at Sapphire, you can go further out if a better swimmer but no need to for good snorkeling. Coki isvalso good from shore but very crowded and people feeding fish there.

We have snorkeled at Sapphire several times and really found the snorkeling right by shore to be pretty lousy. That's why I recommend the Elysian to those who don't want to go out too far. Perhaps the fish just weren't around the shore the 4 or 5 times we went to Sapphire. Am I the only one who doesn't find good snorkeling by the shore at Sapphire? I like that the Elysian has the rock wall right to the left of the beach and there are lots of fish all along it. You can follow that on around as far as you want or stay near the beach and there's plenty to see. No waiters to try and sell you food and drinks on the beach at the Elysian, but the 2 restaurants are right there on the beach. As for natural shade, I think Cowpet far exceeds Sapphire! But I had a great time at all the beaches, including way out at the point at SApphire, so you really can't go wrong. Heck, if one isn't what you're looking for, get back in a cab and go to another one. BTW---if you haven't arranged for a taxi to pick you back up, you may have to go to the office at the Elysian to have them call you one. At Sapphire, there will be more people being dropped off and picked up, so more taxis around without having to call. 3 of the 4 times we've been to St. Thomas (3 by cruise, then this last one for 9 nights) we've rented a car so calling a taxi wasn't an issue. Also remember, if the surf is coming in hard at the Elysian, it's probably calmer at Sapphire, or the other way around.

Edited by slabeaume

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing again, just an FYI to others - we (and others) have different opinions and experiences of some of these areas, and every day can be a different experience depending on sea conditions and other criteria. So it's a good idea to compare notes to get a good feel for what each beach offers.

Thank you for the blog slabeaume. I loved it!!!

Does anyone know if there a way to check surf conditions before leaving port to explore? Maybe on the ship? Without the internet...we turn off everything when we set sail.

• 2 weeks later...

LOVED the blog...what BEAUTIFUL pictures!

We are going on a cruise w/grandparents and kids 9, and 6 year old twins in April. Two ships in port when we stop in St. Thomas. What beach would you recommend for snorkeling where the kids would see something/enjoy snorkeling right off shore? A beach that is more sandy & calm w/ fish? Appreciate your input on this!:confused:

There's been a lot of recent questions about beaches and snorkeling on St. Thomas and St. John. Instead of responding to each one separately, I thought I'd bring this back to the top of the forum with my blog address.

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2013/11/2013-st-thomas-9-day-vacation-to-island.html

Hey Sue, love your blog! We just returned from a wedding on St. Thomas last month and have been there on cruises many times. I realize some repeat cruisers find St. Thomas to be boring after awhile, but (like you) we absolutely LOVED staying on the island for an extended period of time. We found the vibe to be completely different from the typical "day trip off the cruise ship." We stayed at the Marriott at Morningstar Beach and it was fabulous! I would encourage anyone to visit St. Thomas for a week or long weekend.

I wanted to let you know your underwater pictures are outstanding! The schools of disc-shaped fish with long dorsal/pectoral fins are called Palometa. They are a cousin of the Pompano commonly found in the surf along the southeastern US coast. These fish will actually nip at you (which freaks some people out) but they're harmless. If I'm not mistaken, the fish you photographed in very shallow water are schooling juvenile palometa.

Thanks again for your blog, we'll be visiting STT on 3/11 and appreciate your info!

jtcbreeze---honestly, I would go to the Elysian beach. I know the kids would see fish right from shore. There is a nice casual restaurant right there on the beach. It's not crowded---you may be the only ones there. If you're into more of the ship feel with waiters coming right up to you and lots more people, then Coki is the place to go. Sapphire is pretty, too, but I hear their bathrooms and rental building have closed. Secret bay looked good, too, although weather wasn't the greatest the day we went. Megans is beautiful, too, but snorkeling is more challenging there (there are some fish here and there along the beach and a lot of tiny fish by the far sides).

Staplerman---thanks for the fish identification. Just got back from Kauai and sure did miss the water temperatures of the Caribbean!!!

• 5 months later...