Cunard's Southampton to St Pancras?

Grand Canyon Dave

Any idea what the current charge would be for Cunard's transfer from the ship to the Eurostar's station? Anyone have a recent experience with the company's offering? Also, how much time should I expect to matriculate from the dock, through customs and get on the train? Lastly, what is the realistic arrival time at St. Pancras?

Any idea what the current charge would be for Cunard's transfer from the ship to the Eurostar's station? Anyone have a recent experience with the company's offering? Also, how much time should I expect to matriculate from the dock, through customs and get on the train? Lastly, what is the realistic arrival time at St. Pancras?

Someone else will have to give you advice about transfers to London, although a call to Cunard would probably answer that question. I assume that you're making a transatlantic crossing. If so, British customs will be onboard, which means you won't have to deal with them in Southampton. Cabs are usually in plentiful supply, so if you take the train, you should be at the station in just a few minutes. Of course, if there are lots of cruise ships in the harbor, as there were when we arrived in July, you might have to wait a while. Trains leave Southampton for London several times an hour (see http://www.nationalrail.co.uk) and take 90 minutes to reach Waterloo station. A cab to St Pancras will take about another 15 minutes. As to when you'd arrive at St Pancras, that would obviously depend in large part on when you disembarked. We got off the ship around 10:45 in the morning and were at our hotel in Kensington by 2:00 in the afternoon.

Edited by Thaxted

Just tried a dummy booking and Cunard quoted $40 per person pier to St. Pancras. They did not give an arrival time but said it was about a two hour journey depending on traffic.

I don't remember for sure but I think the price was something like $79 or $89 a person when we were on board this past June (Cunard transfer to St Pancras)

We opted for private transfer and go with smiths for airports. This past June they charged approx. $172 (it was 108 pounds) for the car (not per person) and picked us up at the ship and drove us to St Pancras. They will pick you up what ever time you desire. Figure two hours to London to be safe and remember you have to check into Eurostar 30 minutes before departure.

We also use smiths for coming from London to Southampton. We actually had them pick us up at our London hotel and the cost was a little more..but not by much.

Their web is http://www.smithsforairports.com

We did the Cunard transfer a few years ago on our first trip to England and got into St Pancras a little after noon I think (but don't quote me on that!).

Edited by Cruise NH

The transfer fare of $40 is what we have always paid in recent years. As it gets closer to the voyage the fare can go up. As has been stated above, it is $80 or more if booked on board at the Tours Office.

On an e/b crossing the UK immigration inspection is done en route, but customs is done on the pier. If, like most people, you have nothing to declare you simply take the green channel. In fact, on our last half dozen arrivals at both the Ocean Terminal and the Queen Elizabeth II Terminal there was no customs officer at the red section, only a red phone.

From my experience, the London and airport transfers leave about 9:00 a.m., but they are not all scheduled at the same time.

For which voyage do you want this transfer? I've been looking at weather forecasts and we're in for lots of snow this Winter. The UK does not deal with snow well. Things grind to a halt. I will be returning from Southampton on 29th November and planning to come home by train, but I will be looking at other options in case snow on the tracks stops the trains!

I think you would be safe booking a Cunard transfer as they would be morally obligated to take care of you in such a situation, I would hope. However, take note of details of trains in case train lines are clear but roads are not.

We will be be arriving from New York on October 4th, '14. And then on to Paris the same day. I'm still weighing the benefits of Cunard's offering vrs. feeling like s big shot on Smith's service. Sometimes the cruises will expedite passenger's transfer onto their connections. The idea of the private car is appealing, but having Cunard get the luggage and us to St Pancras easily -sounds good also. I want to purchase the Eurostar tickets in advance. From what people say, if I get tickets for 1pm, it should work out. Thanks for all the real world experience. :)

We will be be arriving from New York on October 4th, '14. And then on to Paris the same day. I'm still weighing the benefits of Cunard's offering vrs. feeling like s big shot on Smith's service. Sometimes the cruises will expedite passenger's transfer onto their connections. The idea of the private car is appealing, but having Cunard get the luggage and us to St Pancras easily -sounds good also. I want to purchase the Eurostar tickets in advance. From what people say, if I get tickets for 1pm, it should work out. Thanks for all the real world experience. :)

Hi Grand Canyon,

Just FYI..you have to collect your own luggage from the baggage hall yourself regardless of your choice. There are carts there if you need them as I recall.

And yes, it is a nice thing to have your own driver take you when you want to go!

One more thing, not sure it applies to you but we also return on the QM2, so they will store a bag (or two) for you at the port and deliver it to your room on your return voyage. They pick up the bag from the hallway at night and you don't see it again until you return to go home. The cost was around $65 for one bag, under 30 days. Who wants to take all your formal stuff on your European vacation, right?

Have a great trip...

Edited by Cruise NH