Amway Group Cruise??

Back in May of '02 we were on an Alaskan cruise along with about 900 Amway reps from the Phillipines and Indonesia. Has anybody also had this experience or know of any this year, especially to Alaska??

Don't take this as a complaint, just for info!!

I was in Alaska in May of last year, and the ship had a similar Amway contingent the previous week. Boy, the bartenders were bitter about it! Several people said that it was the rudest group they had seen (I'm sure some cultural differences come into play, but I'm just reporting what the service people said.)

"Free water!" "Free water!" was apparently the most frequent, and abrasively delivered, request.

I am glad I read this... I did a search on google for group cruises in January 2006 (when I will be sailing) and I found that there will be a Gay Group Cruise on Nav sailing 1/28. I am fine with this, however my father is a little old school and would not have enjoyed this as much, and we are traveling w/ him and my mom. So far, it looks as though there are no large groups on our sailing, but I never would have thought to check... thanks for the heads up.

Cruise lines do not give out that info and it can make for a very uncomfortable week on a ship that is taken over by a large group. I have had this happen twice on Carnival. In the evenings most of the lounges were closed to passengers unless you were part of this group. They basically took over the ship.

There is a group going on the December Navigator cruise but they were on there last year at the same time and I really did not notice them that much.

Amway is still around under the alias Quixtar. Somehow this is supposed to get them around all of their dirty dealings in the past.

I work for Amway (Alticor) and we are not a bad company.

I was on the Radiance for the May 14th sailing and there was a very large Amway group from Hong Kong on board.

The first clue was seeing a big banner on the ship "Welcome Amway" as we boarded. Then they made the announcement for the muster drill in Chinese. Lastly, there were a lot of Asian selections in the buffet and they had congee (rice porridge) for breakfast. I love congee and was surprised to see it offered on the cruise.

It wasn't bad at all with the large group.

We were also on the Raidiance to Alaska in 2003 with a huge group of Amway people. They were Asian, can't remember from what exact country. I actually felt bad for them as they spent most days in the conferrence rooms at meetings.

They did all have these bright blue coats and wore them almost 24/7. All us non-Amway people nicknamed them the "bluecoats". It wasn't much of an issue as they really stayed together. Very few spoke any English.

I could think of a lot worse groups to have on a cruise.

Archived