Is Triumph really as bad as some reviews are saying?

jsgarner19

I'm booked to go on Triumph in 13 days (Dec 2,2013) and will review when I get back. But curious to those who have sailed Triumph since 2.0 and after the engine fire cruise, is it as bad as some are letting on? I'm sure that it's a lot of "people only complain, and rarely compliment", but being on a review website, I just get a lot of negative from the new Triumph. I am excited and not in the least bit concerned about it, and am sure that I will have a great time, so if it's bad, it's not because I'm going in with a negative thought in mind.

I have done a lot of digging and really thought I would see more positive than negative, just wondering.

Thanks all

Jim

I'm booked to go on Triumph in 13 days (Dec 2,2013) and will review when I get back. But curious to those who have sailed Triumph since 2.0 and after the engine fire cruise, is it as bad as some are letting on? I'm sure that it's a lot of "people only complain, and rarely compliment", but being on a review website, I just get a lot of negative from the new Triumph. I am excited and not in the least bit concerned about it, and am sure that I will have a great time, so if it's bad, it's not because I'm going in with a negative thought in mind.

I have done a lot of digging and really thought I would see more positive than negative, just wondering.

Thanks all

Jim

Check out my signature....we love her. Have been on her after 2.0 & that was just icing on the cake. Have a great cruise. ;)

Been on before and after. Before was great and after was better! Best staff we've experienced. Great food choices. Cabins could be updated (there is new carpet, but the 2 Lido deck balconies we've had still have the tube TVs).

Considering Triumph is among the top 5 Carnival ships, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I know when I was getting ready for my first cruise on Destiny, she started having issues about 6 months before I sailed and eventually had to be taken off the ocean for an emergency dry dock. Bad reviews still plagued the ship, but I loved every moment on it.

I had a great cruise on Triumph two weeks ago. Was it perfect? No, but it was mainly little things that I could shrug off without turning into one of "those" posters.

I do think I should get free cruises for life because of the bad weather, but that's another story... ;)

I am sailing on the Dream in three days. From this board, I have gathered that Carnival has cut everything nice out, the food is going to be terrible, the service will be awful, it is going to be way overcrowded, there aren't enough pools.....I could go on.

I have the same attitude you do. It would be tough to not have a blast on a cruise. There will be some negative things, but reading the posts makes it sound like it will be the worst vacation ever.

I'll bring some positive thoughts back in two weeks.

Have fun!

Thanks all

Jim

Most of the reviews I've read have been positive. I really can't think of too many that weren't.

People talk about the smell but I've sailed on the Conquest and Princess Island and they both had the same smell.

I did sail just a few weeks after the 2.0/dry dock and found the ship fine. Are there some areas that could still use some updating--yes but I've yet to sail on a ship that didn't.

The only thing I didn't like about the Triumph compared to the others was how tight the walkways were, especially when they set up ALL those photo areas. It's a smaller ship but that also made it easier to get around.

I have friends that sailed Triumph this summer, they loved it so much that they booked another cruise on her for the spring right when they got home. I always wonder about those bad reviews, I mean honestly how bad of a time can you really have on a cruise?! Hope that answers your question! Haha.

OP - I just got off the Triumph on Monday. Had a great cruise - the crew was great and the ship was really nice. No smell LOL. Food was good and the lines were not as long as I had anticipated for Guy's or the Blue Iguana. I am going on another Triumph cruise next month so that should say something! Go and don't worry about what everyone else says. There are people who honestly just look for something to gripe about.

I was just on the Oct 26-31 cruise on the Triumph and loved it as much as my previous cruises on her. I think the Triumph is a wonderful, smaller ship with the greatest crew ever!!! Yes, some things are old, the cabins could use a paint job, but I think that could be said about a lot of the ships. She was ranked the #1 ship for Oct/Nov according to ship survey emails after (per John Heald).

Don't worry about what others say, there will always be haters, just enjoy the fact that you are on a cruise!!

Most of the reviews I've read have been positive. I really can't think of too many that weren't.

People talk about the smell but I've sailed on the Conquest and Princess Island and they both had the same smell.

I did sail just a few weeks after the 2.0/dry dock and found the ship fine. Are there some areas that could still use some updating--yes but I've yet to sail on a ship that didn't.

The only thing I didn't like about the Triumph compared to the others was how tight the walkways were, especially when they set up ALL those photo areas. It's a smaller ship but that also made it easier to get around.

Just curious ,did they take the oyster shells off the wall in the piano bar ?

Just curious ,did they take the oyster shells off the wall in the piano bar ?

No, they are still there.

We just got off the Triumph last week. We had a blast, completely enjoyed every minute of it. Was it the nicest ship in the fleet? Not even close. There is a lot of things noticeably wrong with it. Did it ruin our trip? Not even close. Short of sinking somewhere, there is really nothing that could ruin the trip for us. We love traveling and cruising so much, I could probably cruise on an oil tanker and enjoy myself.

Just don't sweat the small stuff and have fun.

Thanks all

Jim

Sailed her 8 times love the ship & the crew.

I am sailing on the Dream in three days. From this board, I have gathered that Carnival has cut everything nice out, the food is going to be terrible, the service will be awful, it is going to be way overcrowded, there aren't enough pools.....I could go on.

I have the same attitude you do. It would be tough to not have a blast on a cruise. There will be some negative things, but reading the posts makes it sound like it will be the worst vacation ever.

I'll bring some positive thoughts back in two weeks.

Have fun!

Its your money. You can 'enjoy' it however you want, and blame the disappointments on fellow cruisers instead of the vacation provider. Others of us who don't want to have to make excuses for a crappy product for our hard earned money, especially when we have several other good CCLs to compare it to, may choose not to. I used to sing CCLs praises, but the Dream was a let down even for them. As you can see, when I like something, I go on and on and on about it, so its not like us disappointed cruisers are not happy with anything. The Dream set the bar low even by CCLs standards. 'Any cruise is a good cruise,' says who? That's like saying all food is good food. (on the topic of food btw, we have always really enjoyed CCLs. Its just that getting it was difficult and by the time it came, it might be dried out, cold, etc. The food is not terrible. The service on the other hand ranks lower than any other venue I've eaten at. If it hadnt' been included in the cruise fare, I'm pretty sure my husband would have gotten up and walked out.)

Btw, on the Topic of the Triumph, I sailed her in 2011 and it was one of the best cruises I ever had. Our service was impeccable. And the Holiday was equally as good or better. Conquest right in the middle. Dream, dreadful. I'd sail the Triumph in a heart beat compared to the Dream.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

I work retail... And trust me people only call to complain.... It is very rare someone calls to express their thanks for a great trip (which is what I know the majority of customer get at my store)

That being said just sailed the triumph on October 26-31 and had an amazing time!! Ship looked great, service was great, food was awesome! Loved it!

Just posted by John Heald this a.m. :D

I just wanted to say congratulations to the Carnival Triumph. She remains at the number one spot in the fleet as per the review cards sent in by our guests. She has been at the number one spot now for the last three weeks.

I find it hard to believe that actually read comment cards. Because I haven't gotten any in a long time, actual comment cards, and especially for the Dream and because after our email survey, people still appear to be indicating that the Dream service is still horrendous. Case in point, the waiter giving the guest double 'birds' when they took a photo of them.

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids