Car rental at POM?

SportsMomof4

There are no rental car companies directly located at the Port Of Miami. Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are very close to the port but I am unsure if they provide any type of free shuttle service to their locations. Alamo, National, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service to the Rental Car Center located directly across from Miami International Airport. The free shuttles pass by each terminal and if you flag them down they will stop to pick you up. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation before they allow you to access there shuttle. That's done because some cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to the airport.

We booked at the Budget in downtown Miami. We used car rental companies and their shuttle services on our last cruise and although necessary (we were out of Port Canaveral that time) IMO they were a PITA. They are generally extremely busy and there is no real organization as far as pick up and drop off goes. You "know" where you are at in line but are just hopeful that those who came after you aren't rude and try to get on before you because there was about 15-20 people waiting at all times with no rhyme or reason. Then upon return, we waited over an hour for a shuttle van to show up and again, there are about 10-15 families descending on said van trying to get a ride. And there truly is no rhyme or reason then because there's not a specific place to wait, so you just stand around until the van shows up and chase it down hoping to be able to get on. Then if you can't do that one, you do the same on the next.

Anyway, it just wasn't worth it to us. We'll pay the 10-15 for the taxi and avoid the wait!

There are no rental car companies directly located at the Port Of Miami. Hertz, Avis, and Budget have downtown Miami locations that are very close to the port but I am unsure if they provide any type of free shuttle service to their locations. Alamo, National, Dollar, and Thifty provide free shuttle service to the Rental Car Center located directly across from Miami International Airport. The free shuttles pass by each terminal and if you flag them down they will stop to pick you up. Some drivers will ask to see your rental car reservation before they allow you to access there shuttle. That's done because some cruise passengers are looking for free transportation back to the airport.

Thank you! Exactly what I needed...I just booked thrifty!

We booked at the Budget in downtown Miami. We used car rental companies and their shuttle services on our last cruise and although necessary (we were out of Port Canaveral that time) IMO they were a PITA. They are generally extremely busy and there is no real organization as far as pick up and drop off goes. You "know" where you are at in line but are just hopeful that those who came after you aren't rude and try to get on before you because there was about 15-20 people waiting at all times with no rhyme or reason. Then upon return, we waited over an hour for a shuttle van to show up and again, there are about 10-15 families descending on said van trying to get a ride. And there truly is no rhyme or reason then because there's not a specific place to wait, so you just stand around until the van shows up and chase it down hoping to be able to get on. Then if you can't do that one, you do the same on the next.

Anyway, it just wasn't worth it to us. We'll pay the 10-15 for the taxi and avoid the wait!

I hear what you're saying. I remember we did it last year & it wasn't a problem for us. The thing is we aren't flying out until the next morning from FLL so aside from doing a Carnival excursion (we don't like any of the Miami ones) we need a car to do what we want. Thanks for the info!

We have rented from Budget and we are dropping off at the downtown location. Will have any trouble getting a taxi to the port once I drop the car off??

And then when we return from our cruise we are picking up an SUV to drive to New Orleans. Will I have any problems getting a taxi at the Port of Miami to return to the Budget Rental Car

We have rented from Budget and we are dropping off at the downtown location. Will have any trouble getting a taxi to the port once I drop the car off?? NO -- they pass that location frequently or Budget will call one for you.

And then when we return from our cruise we are picking up an SUV to drive to New Orleans. Will I have any problems getting a taxi at the Port of Miami to return to the Budget Rental Car

NO -- lots of cabs lined up at POM waiting to take customers.