Help! Should I upgrade?

Stephanieandjason

Hi there. We leave in 45 days for our next cruise aboard the Dawn. Prices have fallen and our inside cabin is now the same cost as a guaranteed obstructed porthole (category OX). I think it would be great to have a porthole, but I'm worried we might get "upgraded" to unobstructed category OG on deck 4 or 5. What should I do?!?!

Hi there. We leave in 45 days for our next cruise aboard the Dawn. Prices have fallen and our inside cabin is now the same cost as a guaranteed obstructed porthole (category OX). I think it would be great to have a porthole, but I'm worried we might get "upgraded" to unobstructed category OG on deck 4 or 5. What should I do?!?!

deleted original comment... Sorry I misread.

Why is an unobstructed OG bad?

Edited by kylenyc

Why wouldn't you upgrade? Are you just worried about not being mid ship or something?

Depending how much prices have dropped you could wait and maybe upgrade for very little up to a balcony.

Edited by bmwcmu

Honestly, I don't know why being on 4 or 5 would be bad, I just know a lot of people have booked guarantee cabins and been disappointed. I thought maybe decks 4 and 5 would be really far away from all the action.

I do recall some threads where people were disappointed when assigned a low deck. One thread concerned a person had a mobility issue; booking a gty is not a good idea with such issues. Other people just wanted to be closer to pool deck. Some people are unhappy on deck 5 if they are under a public area (because of noise). You might also be way up in the bow, possibly close to the anchor (noise on anchor drop, like Belize).

I had a porthole on deck 4 on her sister the Star; it was a small porthole that did not let in much light. The room was quiet, though.

So the OX does risk getting a less desirable cabin. I have taken the risk many times, but I am pretty flexible (no sea sickness, mobility or noise sensitivity issues). Gty's are not for everybody. How much if you upgrade to an OK (8566 is available now; it is above Dazzles, but should have a nice view over the little rescue boat)? How much more for an O1 (look at the ones on deck 6)?

Well, thank you everybody for your helpful advice! I just got off the phone with a Norwegian representative and she upgraded me to an assigned OK category cabin on deck 8. The website does say that category is guarantee only, so maybe I just got lucky? Either way, so happy I checked it out.

CONGRATS to the OP on the upgrade!

We upgraded our 2 cabins a week ago. There's nothing wrong with the cabins on the lower decks, as long as you pay attention to the cabin's location and what's around it. We upgraded from an interior and an obstructed oceanview to 2 O1s on Deck 5. If I hadn't been able to pick specific cabin numbers, I probably wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

The tricky part was making sure that there was nothing noisy around the cabins and no large, unexplained white areas on the deck plans - which could possibly be noisy crew work spaces. The other tricky part was making sure we weren't too far forward. This will be DD's & DSIL's first cruise. We don't know yet whether either of them will be prone to motion sickness. (DH and I, OTOH, love the rocking motion in the bow) so we wanted to ensure they didn't have a cabin where the movement could be more pronounced.

Edited by polySeraph

Well, thank you everybody for your helpful advice! I just got off the phone with a Norwegian representative and she upgraded me to an assigned OK category cabin on deck 8. The website does say that category is guarantee only, so maybe I just got lucky? Either way, so happy I checked it out.

Enjoy your upgrade:)

Way to go! Enjoy your cruise!