Salerno-Napoli-Salerno

ariannasstuff

Just learned that our Celebrity med cruise has moved ports from Napoli to Salerno. My original plan if we ported in Napoli was to spend some time in the museum in Napoli and spend a few hours in Herculaneum. Now, we are porting in Salerno and would like expert thoughts on whether I am giving myself enough time to do the following: get off ship, train to Napoli for museum, train to Herculaneum for a few hours, then train back to Napoli and fast train to Salerno. In port 7:00-6.:00pm.

Traveling with three teens. Definitely won't spend a lot of time in either place. All thoughts welcome. I have been to Pompeii four times, as well as multiple trips to Capri, sorrento, amalfi etc, so I am trying to get somewhere I haven't been. Thanks!

Best case would be making the 7:32 train to Naples but I wouldn't count on it, so let's work with the next one at 8:17 arriving at 8:54.

Transfer to the underground, line L2, for one stop to museo. Metro Napoli map: http://www.metro.na.it/metro/images/stories/PDF/mappaa5_20130828.pdf

This puts you at the museum no later than 9:30.

If you leave at 11:00 and head back to Napoli Centrale you could be on the 11:39 Circumvesuviana train to Ercolano Scavi, arriving at noon. It's a 15 minute (at most) walk to the site, plus a one hour visit and a 15 minute walk back and you could be on the 1:55 train arriving back at Naples (Garibaldi station) at 2:15. Circumvesuviana schedule here: http://www.eavcampania.it/web/sites/default/files/ftp_orari_ferroviario/Orario%20Napoli%20Sorrento%20senza%20Pozzano%20e%20Scraio%20e%20viceversa.pdf

That leaves you time to get a pizza before the 3:40 Frecciabianca train that gets back to Salerno at 4:12. There are several regional trains after this that would work for you as well, so there are lots of fallback options if you want to extend your time at either stop.

Edited by euro cruiser

Another option from Salerno is to go to the ruins at Paestum. Not so sure going all the way back to Naples makes sense, and dragging teens through a museum is not how most teens like to spend their time (although the museum is darn good).

Hank

Yes Hank, this is my dilemma. With all the trips that I have made to the region, I have yet to visit the museum. I am very torn on whether to do this or not(not sure when I will be back to Napoli). Your opinion from having been there is very appreciated.

If my ship had ported in Napoli, where it originally was supposed to, I was going to do the museum and then add Pizza and the underground cisterns to the agenda so that it was more "bearable" to my teens. Now, that we are out of Salerno, my options are limited with the time. As mentioned, I have been to Pompeii enough times, same with Sorrento, Amalfi and Positano. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Paestum is easy to get to from Salerno by train or bus and the museum there is really quite good.

If you'd be comfortable renting a car and driving, you could combine a visit to Paestum with a visit to one of the buffalo mozzarella farms (I particularly like Tenuta Vannulo: http://www.vannulo.it/eng/home.html).

While it is a long day, your original plan can work (as detailed above, as well as with other variations). I forgot to mention the other train company, Italotreno, which also serves the Salerno-Napoli route. They may have better times for you: https://biglietti.italotreno.it/Booking_Acquisto_Calendar.aspx?Culture=en-US

Tough choices!!

If you're looking for opinions, the Naples museum is probably the finest in the world if you are interested in ancient Rome. The collection of frescoes, mosaics, sculptures (the ones from the Villa of the Papyri at Herculaneum are jaw-dropping) will leave you astounded.

Perhaps skip Herculaneum on this trip, if you've been to Pompeii. Do the museum as much justice as your teens will allow, and then squeeze in the Napoli Sotteranea tour (your kids will enjoy it). Grab some pizza and it sounds like a good day.

While I also LOVED Paestum, I'm not sure it would hold as much immediate appeal for the teens unless they are really interested in ruined temples and have an understanding of the somewhat complex Greek/Roman/Oscan/Samnite history of the area.

Yes Hank, this is my dilemma. With all the trips that I have made to the region, I have yet to visit the museum. I am very torn on whether to do this or not(not sure when I will be back to Napoli). Your opinion from having been there is very appreciated.

If my ship had ported in Napoli, where it originally was supposed to, I was going to do the museum and then add Pizza and the underground cisterns to the agenda so that it was more "bearable" to my teens. Now, that we are out of Salerno, my options are limited with the time. As mentioned, I have been to Pompeii enough times, same with Sorrento, Amalfi and Positano. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

One glaring omission from your list is Ravello! If you have not been to that town, it is very worthwhile as part of a port day (this place is good for a couple of hours...but not a full day).

Not sure what is "bearable" to teens. If parents could solve this mystery life would be very good :)

Hank

So many thanks to all of you. First, I have been to Ravello(twice!) So, as I think about all of this, I will either 1) do Naples only or 2) do Herculaneum and then spend time in Salerno. I think that although I can do it all, I am on a ship's schedule, so I don't need the anxiety of worrying about getting back on time, so I will just pick one and be thankful for the opportunity to even have the opportunity!

Again, many thanks to all of you for your expert advice and opinions!