Gluten Free from room service?

wantocruisemore

Has anyone had success getting gluten free for breakfast or at other times? Specifically maybe some GF cereal in am or toast that's GF. Or later in the day a sandwich with GF bread?

Dd requires GF and I think I will need to get creative unless we want to go to Lido. Would love to have them bring some bread and peanut butter so I can fix her a sandwich to take along on our Belize or other excursions.

Has anyone had success getting gluten free for breakfast or at other times? Specifically maybe some GF cereal in am or toast that's GF. Or later in the day a sandwich with GF bread?

Dd requires GF and I think I will need to get creative unless we want to go to Lido. Would love to have them bring some bread and peanut butter so I can fix her a sandwich to take along on our Belize or other excursions.

I do know they will work with you in the MDR and will advise as much as possible on the Lido but never heard about it for room service but you never know unless you ask.

As far as taking food off the ship it is a definite NO. Unless it is in a factory sealed package you cannot take it off the ship - these are port rules not Carnival - they do not want the risk of something coming to their island/community/country etc that they do not have protection against. People say they do all the time but they are putting not only people lives at risk but their livelihood, agriculture etc

I've had it hit or miss on bread from room service. Sometimes they say they can make me a sandwich GF and other times they say they can't. They do not have any GF cereal, but they do have fresh fruit and I think some of the yogurt is GF. I usually bring along a box of instant grits and order hot tea so that way I have hot water to make grits. But I do like cereal, so I'm thinking of bringing my own box with me next cruise.

They have strict rules about what you can take off the ship. No fresh fruit or anything like that. Pre-packaged things are ok, so I usually take a granola bar or crackers for when in port.

Ok I am semi familiar with the gluten free deal, But today I read something on Cnn.com that confused me. They had an article by a doctor of some sorts that said there is no such thing as a Gluten Allergy. SO confused:eek:

I think I remember seeing that. If I remember correctly, he said that there is no such thing as a gluten allergy - a person isn't allergic to gluten, they are allergic to wheat or some other specific food. These are the people that carry Epi-pens.

Celiac disease isn't an allergy, it's an autoimmune reaction (the body starts attacking itself) to gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, etc. Epi-pens won't help.

Then there are intolerances to gluten (similar to when lactose intolerant people drink milk - it won't kill them, but it makes them feel bad).

Edited by iamsteph

I think I remember seeing that. If I remember correctly, he said that there is no such thing as a gluten allergy - a person isn't allergic to gluten, they are allergic to wheat or some other specific food. These are the people that carry Epi-pens.

Celiac disease isn't an allergy, it's an autoimmune reaction (the body starts attacking itself) to gluten, which is found in wheat, barley, rye, etc. Epi-pens won't help.

Then there are intolerances to gluten (similar to when lactose intolerant people drink milk - it won't kill them, but it makes them feel bad).

Wife is lactose un friendly. Great Weight loss stimulant though......

I would never rely on room service for gluten free items. That being said (Im gluten free), I do bring lots of my own snacks with me (induvidual prepackaged items)- like Lara bars, trail mix, gf pretzels, nuts, gf granola bars, etc. I am not a big sandwich or bread person (even if is GF) so I would never bring bread.

I also bring my snacks off the ship while we are on the islands. As long as they are individually packaged and not open they are usually ok.

I think you can get some fruit & possibly yogurt from room service. Cereal would be very challenging. Maybe some packets of GF oatmeal could be brought with you too.

good luck!

We've never been able to get a sandwich made with GF bread through room service. They only serve Continental breakfast through room service. You can have the smoked salmon or the fruit plate. We brought a box of GF Cinnamon Chex with us and ordered milk and asked them to send bowls. I had a hard time making them understand what we wanted so I finally just told them to send Rice Krispies. We tossed the Rice Krispies and ate our Chex.

Also, my daughter is disabled, very similar to autism. A gluten-free diet allows her to focus and not overreact so much to things. No allergies, just necessary. If it was not for her diet, there are many things she would not be able to do.

So it's for more than just celiacs.

Thanks for the responses, we'll plan on taking extras from home since we have fairly long port days with all day excursions. On ship we can figure it out.

Getting gluten free bread (i.e. toast) from room service is generally not too difficult, but beyond that you're probably pushing your luck.

What you can take off ship does actually vary by port (and as was noted, ports are the ones that set the rules, and some are definitely more rigid than others).

I've got a free guide to cruising with special diets (including gluten free) on my website that can provide you with more details and lots of other info as well - http://cruisespecialdiet.com

Just got off the Valor Sunday. I didn't even try room service. I did splurge and bring GO Picnic boxes with me. I used all 4 I bought as well as the bars I brought. It was nice to have safe foods to eat off the ship especially on long excursions where sandwiches were provided for everyone else.

Getting gluten free bread (i.e. toast) from room service is generally not too difficult, but beyond that you're probably pushing your luck.

What you can take off ship does actually vary by port (and as was noted, ports are the ones that set the rules, and some are definitely more rigid than others).

I've got a free guide to cruising with special diets (including gluten free) on my website that can provide you with more details and lots of other info as well - http://cruisespecialdiet.com

Thanks for the link!!!