Anyone heard of the Sun being retired?

C Cruise Dude

How many would like to retire the Sun?  

117 members have voted

1. 1. How many would like to retire the Sun?

• Retire Her!
    • Keep Her!

Since all the ships being built are coming from Germany that's never going to happen unless the Panama Canal gets their bigger locks into operation. For the next few years I'd say you're going to get the Jewel-class ships up there. I doubt NCL will ever send a new ship to South America to round the Horn to get one up there either. Everything is pointing to Asia as being their next biggest move. (Genting Hong Kong is over there with their training bases there.)

Those bigger locks are scheduled to go into service late next summer. I can't imagine what the toll will be for a mega cruise ship and I doubt any Alaska ports could currently handle one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - Jim

Don't care which one is retired, just so a new ship is put on the Alaska itinerary. Haven't had a new ship there since the Pearl in 2007.

Not true lol. The Sun (small but one of our favorites) was new to Alaska this year with her one way itineraries Vancouver BC to Whittier AK and Whittier to Vancouver (slightly different itinerary on the return). We did the north bound cruise in June in a bow balcony stateroom and it was a wonderful cruise. Our very first Norwegian cruise was on the Sun in 2006 in stern suite 9076 in the caribbean.

We're hoping the Sun does Alaska again in 2015 ... if so we'll be on her.

I have a cruise in February on the Sun. That will be my first visit to the Sun. I have heard a lot of good things about her, and I hope they are all true.

I also sailed on the Sky. While I know the Sun and Sky share the same hull, I do know the cabins were kludged on the Sky while the Sun's cabins were installed without a kludge. I liked the Sky, aside from the very cramped (even for a cruise ship) cabin.

I hope this doesn't impact my February cruise, but I doubt it will. Corporations don't move that fast, right? :)

Sorry, I am in the dislike Sun category - 9 days even with a balcony and it is one of my least favorite NCL ships. Sounds petty, but I HATE a shower curtain on a ship - its small enough without a curtain flapping around. AND I know you can weight it, like I said it is petty. And the layout of the shops, etc. and just the tired feel of the interiors. Positive: has wonderful sea views from almost anywhere.

I enjoy most of the Jewel class ships (exception of Jade only a cut above the Sun), I still have a soft spot for the Dawn (our first cruise with NCL), and I really don't care for the POA either (again, sister to Jade and weird layout). I can even put up with the Epic and its split bathroom because of the other things I love (sailing tomorrow!!).

I am really looking forward next year to cruising on the Breakaway and Getaway and hope that having learned from them the next two ships will be even better.

If they would do what I consider a real dry doc (new carpets, refinish and update interiors, re-fit bathroom interiors) then I could get excited. But adding more suites for more money and putting in some flatscreen TVs while drawers in the stateroom are dirty, stained or falling apart is not a true drydoc. This was the condition of our stateroom on the sky. It was like a bad motel 6.

I have a cruise in February on the Sun. That will be my first visit to the Sun. I have heard a lot of good things about her, and I hope they are all true.

I also sailed on the Sky. While I know the Sun and Sky share the same hull, I do know the cabins were kludged on the Sky while the Sun's cabins were installed without a kludge. I liked the Sky, aside from the very cramped (even for a cruise ship) cabin.

I hope this doesn't impact my February cruise, but I doubt it will. Corporations don't move that fast, right?

Knight, despite my feelings about the Sun, I had a great cruise and we missed a port so we had and added sea day (Bonus - I live sea days).

DSCF2174.jpg

Large Interior Cabin

DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2809.jpg

MDR

DSCF2593_zps81b06471.jpg

Infamous Pool Deck

DSCF2550_zpsae59075c.jpg

I think they still do this.

DSCF2532_zps10aa6c56-1.jpg

They had to print a new guide overnight for the change.

Knight, despite my feelings about the Sun, I had a great cruise and we missed a port so we had and added sea day (Bonus - I live sea days).

DSCF2174.jpg

Large Interior Cabin

DSCF2169.jpg

DSCF2809.jpg

MDR

DSCF2593_zps81b06471.jpg

Infamous Pool Deck

DSCF2550_zpsae59075c.jpg

I think they still do this.

They had to print a new guide overnight for the change.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. :D

I used to work for NCL and still have many friends working on ships - I asked around and nobody knows anything about the Sun being pulled out of service.

The Sky is the oldest ship in the flight and would most likely be the next ship removed, although I don't think that is likely to happen anytime soon.

I used to work for NCL and still have many friends working on ships - I asked around and nobody knows anything about the Sun being pulled out of service.

The Sky is the oldest ship in the flight and would most likely be the next ship removed, although I don't think that is likely to happen anytime soon.

Thanks for the info. I'm amazed that the Sky is older, it seemed like it was in much better shape. The cabin was small but I had read that NCL's cabins were smaller than Carnival's. The interior that we had on the Sun was very big.

Edited by C Cruise Dude
correction

Sounds petty, but I HATE a shower curtain on a ship - its small enough without a curtain flapping around. AND I know you can weight it, like I said it is petty.

You sure that was the Sun? Sounds like the Sky. The Sun has sliding doors for the shower, while the Sky has curtains....

The Sky has the original cabins installed and NCL carved into them to make the balconies. While the Sun has the typical NCL cabins.

Edited by Knight Of The Seas

• 2 weeks later...
You sure that was the Sun? Sounds like the Sky. The Sun has sliding doors for the shower, while the Sky has curtains....

The Sky has the original cabins installed and NCL carved into them to make the balconies. While the Sun has the typical NCL cabins.

Pretty sure - we have also been on the Sky and there was the dreaded shower curtain also. I think our Sun cabin had a curtain - the Jewel class all have shower doors.

• 2 weeks later...
One wonders with the Getaway in 2014 and other new ships in 2015 and 2017 if they will start doing South America, Australia and Asia or retire old ships or a combination of new cruises and retirements. Perhaps the 2015 schedules, due out in another week, will give us some clues.

Once the Getaway and Breakaway are in in full service, they can complete the "Away" Class ships with:

GoAway, AnchorsAway, SailAway, GoneAway, BeenAway, FarAway.... etc. :eek:

Edited by Uniall

Once the Getaway and Breakaway are in in full service, they can complete the "Away" Class ships with:

GoAway, AnchorsAway, SailAway, GoneAway, BeenAway, FarAway.... etc. :eek:

AND the NCL Freestyle classic ,,, The "AnyWay" ...;)

Our first NCL cruise was on the Sun from Seattle to Alaska. We booked one of it's two balcony cabins that are among the best at sea. Originally intended to be 2nd bedrooms for Owner's Suites, they are larger than the mini-suites (but only have shower stall without tub). While we were on board, we booked the same cabin for the following year when the Sun was to move to Hawaii, to get the then promo of 20% discount while still on board.

Later, they reversed the decision and refurbished and renamed the Sky as the Pride of Aloha instead. To make it up to us, NCL upgraded us to Owner's Suite on the Aloha (Sky) in exchange for the 20% balcony discount. Their ploy worked causing us to book only suites, ever since.

I think part of the confusion on this thread is created because even though the Sky is older than the Sun, it went through two refurbishments (renaming as Aloha & returning as Sky)

Wow, a new and interesting way to start an unsubstantiated rumor.

While musing this subject I've come to the opinion that the underlying cause of such rumors is the apparent major shift in "Cruise Concept" that seems to have occured at NCL.

Fifty years ago, the cruise industry changed from "Liner" ships that traveled from port A to port B to traveling to ports of call: A, B, C, D.

With the advent of NCL's Epic, Breakaway & Getaway, the philosophy has shifted to a mega ship that is a sailing Resort that doesn't need ports of call.

If the transition goes full tilt, the ships earlier than the Jewel Class don't have the room for entertainment and resort living as the primary purpose.

Our first NCL cruise was on the Sun from Seattle to Alaska. We booked one of it's two balcony cabins that are among the best at sea. Originally intended to be 2nd bedrooms for Owner's Suites, they are larger than the mini-suites (but only have shower stall without tub). While we were on board, we booked the same cabin for the following year when the Sun was to move to Hawaii, to get the then promo of 20% discount while still on board.

Later, they reversed the decision and refurbished and renamed the Sky as the Pride of Aloha instead. To make it up to us, NCL upgraded us to Owner's Suite on the Aloha (Sky) in exchange for the 20% balcony discount. Their ploy worked causing us to book only suites, ever since.

I think part of the confusion on this thread is created because even though the Sky is older than the Sun, it went through two refurbishments (renaming as Aloha & returning as Sky)

Special Balcony Cabins on Sun

Click On Photo Below To Enlarge

1658656480_NCLSunBal1202.jpg.485c93d316e022b784448a429a8452fb.jpg

313204893_NCLSunBal1202a.jpg.0147e412d0fe141aa885e7960cf6d365.jpg

883403207_NCLSunBal1202c.jpg.e208546c6331b51fa030da3700f1bea7.jpg

1005862345_BrillianceOTSBal9256d.jpg.7f15d397cac431052c2858bf83050ff7.jpg

1331912916_NCLSunBal1202e.jpg.4a11204875595602554a9868ed369e23.jpg

1349696011_NCLSunBal1202h.jpg.4b106b44012b12b26251c5fce24b8900.jpg

111243616_NCLSunBal1202j.jpg.89144116bbe0982f43b2d76de42873fb.jpg

1204014510_NCLSun1202d.jpg.a3cd57828eb28903b3b4ef37e94442a8.jpg

Edited by Uniall