Food for thought

Leslieswiger

Cabin amenities with Celebrity we found that one could also buy. The full range of towels, the five peace flower vase, cotton ball and Q-tip container and other items at a very reasonable price. The 100% Egyptian cotton towels made by Baltic Linen Co. Inc. of Valleystream, NY are out of this world. One can find the price list on the dressing room table. So far I have bought six of everything above. Have found them to be great Christmas gifts. Maybe HAL could do this when they have completed the SOE. Just a thought! Happy Sailings...Leslie Swiger:)

I would have happily bought some of the towels that used to have the HAL Logo embroidered on them. I would really have liked to have them. These new towels don't interest me at all. Sure, the bath towels are larger but the others were just fine by me. I'd rather the Logo on both the bath and hand towels.

What else is there one would want to buy? The ice bucket stinks IMO Way too small.... Fruit Bowl; I think not. Maybe some of the soap. I do like that as I find it moisturizing. I don't care about the body cream and bring my own.

What would anyone want to buy beside the mattress which is already available?

sail--just my wicked mind at work but do you have written permission from hal to use their registered logo as part of your signature
While I'm not an IP lawyer, I do get involved in a number of internet copyright questions. The fact that HAL makes it's logo available through an unprotected .jpg or .gif is all that is needed to establish permission. Further, the copying of a logo is never an issue except when used for purposes that harm, or that may reasonably be expected to cause harm, to the owner. For example if S7S was starting a new web business selling socks to motorcyclists and represents that her product is endorsed by a cabin attendant from Holland America Lines. That could be considered to be capable of causing harm, and HAL (Carnival Corp) would likely prevail if CCL filed for a permanent restraining order to discontinue both the use of the logo and the faux endorsement.

Sow There, that makes perfect sense to me. As long as someone is not trying to profit off the use of the HAL logo, why on earth would HAL want to stop someone from using it? It's advertising for them:) !!! It seems an odd question to pose, frankly...especially since Sail includes the "registered" trademark.

I'm pretty sure when one of our cruisers was designing our "HAL-O-Ween Dam" t-shirt with the HAL logo, there was some question about this and HAL brushed it off saying we were more than welcome to use it. It will be emblazoned in very large form on the back of our t-shirts with their blessing...no written permission required. I'm sure they hope we wear it everywhere we go!!!!!:D

CC gave a similar blessing for having their logo on the front of our t-shirts.

For example if S7S was starting a new web business selling socks to motorcyclists and represents that her product is endorsed by a cabin attendant from Holland America Lines. QUOTE]

she is and they are??? sorry couldnt resist lol--- thats again for the lucid explaination

I think I mentioned on that other thread, but will do so again, that I really would have bought one of their special ashtrays if they had been in the shops. s.

susan - Are you referring to the ones on the Lido (blue, with the little holes) designed for outside use? If so, there is a website where you can purchase them. We bought several for our deck and patio - they are really handy when guests are over - and I got the blue ones that are identical to HAL's.

susan - Are you referring to the ones on the Lido (blue, with the little holes) designed for outside use? If so, there is a website where you can purchase them. We bought several for our deck and patio - they are really handy when guests are over - and I got the blue ones that are identical to HAL's.

Yes, those. Are they for sale on the HAL website? Maybe I just missed them. If not, please tell me where I can find them. s.

Thanks everyone! On board the Amsterdam Rio-Seattle in April, they had nothing in our cabins saying what one could buy. Also very little of the SOE had been done. I will now check out HAL web site. Thanks again and Happy Sailings..Leslie Swiger:)

Yes, those. Are they for sale on the HAL website? Maybe I just missed them. If not, please tell me where I can find them. s.

susan - We did not purchase them from HAL - I will email you the link some time today... I know I saved it on one of my PC's. They are identical to the ones on HAL.

sail--just my wicked mind at work but do you have written permission from hal to use their registered logo as part of your signature

No, I do not have anyone's written permission. This subject has come up a number of times in the past and my response is always the same. :)

:) I KNOW that many folks from HAL read this board. If they read this board, considering how often I post, I am very sure they have seen me use it.

Seeing as I have never heard from anyone telling me to remove it, it is my impression they not only do not mind my using here, in the context and way I am using it, but maybe even think it better than okay. This is an HAL discussion board about cruising. I'm sure I would have heard from either the hosts of this Board or HAL if there was some egregious violation I am committing. :) If anyone instructs me to remove it, I shall do so immediately.

Sow....:) Thanks for the great answer why I (hopefully) won't be deeding over my house to HAL for 'infringement'.

Motorcycles.....Me????? Now, THAT is Funny!!! :D I'm happy for all those who love them, but I think I'll say, No, Thanks, Not for Me.

While I'm not an IP lawyer, I do get involved in a number of internet copyright questions. The fact that HAL makes it's logo available through an unprotected .jpg or .gif is all that is needed to establish permission.
Then why must you obtain permission from a publisher to quote a passage "other than for review purposes" for the printed word, irrespective of media.

My inside-publishing source says:

For more than about 250 words, quoting in writing—not in speech--would be infringement of copyright. Anyone wanting more than that has to pay the publisher a royalty for the use because it’s assumed the user will be making money with the passage (unless they are educating).

Aw shucks Heather.:o

If I were more switched on with this 'machine' I would post a clear image of the tiles!

Painting on canvas is for 'work', the maiolica on tiles is for 'fun'! I attend a small ceramics workshop here in Sydney one morning a week. Great fun.. and completely addictive!

This is the second piece. The first... slightly different design... was damaged in the kiln unfortunately. Bummer!

Stephen

I love your tile. It seems to have the Spanish/Portuguese influence in the border and coloring.

Is this an artistic one off for the book or will we be seeing them in other places? susan.

Archived