Taxi Tour or On Our Own

alwalaska

We will be in Curacao on February 17th. It looks like there is a lot to do within walking area of the port, but we would also like to see some of the rest of the island since this will be our first time there.

We are trying to decide between a taxi tour and renting a car. Any recommendations?

If we are renting a car, what are the best things to go see?

Where to start

First how long do you have in port

Best time for photographing the Town is late afternoon when the sun is on it

The town of Punda is beautiful and one of the highlights and walkable from all the cruise terminals - and must be done

Prob best to get a taxi - but if you state where you want to go it should be cheaper than a taxi tour

To the West are beautiful beaches, lovely old Landhuis's (landhouses dating from 1700's )

Shete Boke - is at the far end - spectalcular coastline/national park

Don't do Chrsitoffel - you will not have enough time

Trip Advsier has quite a few hints and tips

Gail - and yes I live on this wonderful island

Gail, Thank you sooo much. I can tell from your screen name that you obviously enjoy photography, so I definitely appreciate the recommendation on photographing the town in the late afternoon.

We are supposedly there 8am - 4:30 pm for all aboard (itinerary says 5 - which typically means 4:30)

I'm glad you mentioned Christoffel as I was looking at it and wondering if we would have time.

We are not usually big beach people, but I heard you have wonderful snorkeling and beautiful beaches. If we are driving out to see Shete Boke , can you recommend a nice snorkeling beach that will be in that same general direction?

Can you please provide me with a little more info on how to locate the lovely old Landhuis's (landhouses dating from 1700's?

I am so excited to visit your island. It sounds amazing. I will use dreaming and planning my port stop to get me through the 4-6 inches of snow and ice we are supposed to get tomorrow. :)

Where to start

First how long do you have in port

Best time for photographing the Town is late afternoon when the sun is on it

The town of Punda is beautiful and one of the highlights and walkable from all the cruise terminals - and must be done

Prob best to get a taxi - but if you state where you want to go it should be cheaper than a taxi tour

To the West are beautiful beaches, lovely old Landhuis's (landhouses dating from 1700's )

Shete Boke - is at the far end - spectalcular coastline/national park

Don't do Chrsitoffel - you will not have enough time

Trip Advsier has quite a few hints and tips

Gail - and yes I live on this wonderful island

Can I suggest Porto Marie beach - it has a small charge - if the lady catches up with you on a sun bed - lovely shallow sand - with lots of fish then a reef a short distance out - map of reef on the wall of the dive shop - you can hire snorkel /dive gear from here - fresh water showers and a cafe/bar

On teh way to here you pass a salina with flamingos ( please don't just slam on the brakes when you see a flamingo - don't forget there may be someone driving behind you) there is also Jan Tok Landhuis which Nena Sanchez has her gallery in - free entry - do go upstairs and see how it was in olden times, do also potter round outside the back garden and see all of Nena's work in situ - but do beware there is a lot of dog poo around. There is also a photogenic church you drive by

This is all down towards Willibrordus - and you then take the bottom road to Shete Boka

Leave plenty of time for lots of photo stops

Hope this helps

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Chiming in here, but would you recommend Porto Marie beach for young children? Any other beaches that are not crowded and nice for little ones? thanks!

I was wondering this too. Is Porto Marie or Cas Abou better for young children?