LIVE from Grandeur of the Seas 12.6&12.14 Back to Back with pictures!!

bradpole

Good morning from Grandeur of the Seas!

Today is our final sea day for this portion of the voyage as we make our way back to Baltimore. Yesterday started out nice and warm (we were still off the coast of Florida) and as expected it got colder as we made our way north. First thing in the morning there were plenty of people out on the pool deck, and by 11 plenty of people were bundled and wrapped in towels to watch "The Great Gatsby" on the big screen.

Yesterday was a "Busy" day, bridge tour at 10:15, and Galley Tour at 2pm. The Bridge tour was very interesting! We all got to meet "Fritz the Monkey" the ships mascot and before the tour was over we all got to sit in the captains chair and have a picture of us doing so! I'm certainly glad I didn't pass up the chance to visit the bridge on this cruise! The Galley tour was much less interesting. As someone who was also on the tour with me said, "I'm glad I had my jogging shoes on!" I think we were in the galley for less than 5 minutes! In the past we've been walked around by a chef who explained what all the stations do, where they make what, etc... This time just a quick sprint around the galley, which was all decorated for a much larger tour right after ours (those who purchased the cook book and chef's table guests). I'll try to get some pictures I took in the galley in the day 7 gallery.

http://www.polerez.com/cruisephotos/index.php/Grandeur-of-the-Seas-12-2013

Last night was our final visit to Giovanni's table for this cruise, sadly there was something "off" last night. We were one of only 4 tables in the restaurant (It was formal night, I'm guessing most went to the dining room for Lobster), and it took forever! Just goes to show how someone's experience can vary from someone else's. In this case last night's experience was complete opposite to every other experience we've had at Giovanni's table...oh well!

Today's show is "Farewell showtime with the comedy of Stephen Thomas", looking at his picture being displayed outside the theater I don't think we've seen him before, so we will make sure to pay a visit to the show this evening (6:30 and 8:30) to watch. At 11am in the centrum there is a birthday party to celebrate Grandeur's 17th birthday!

On the big screen (although I can't imagine many people being out there on a cold day like today) is 7pm Wizard of Oz and at 9, "After Earth"

Last night we received our Back 2 Back instructions, there is a quick get together to discuss the process at 5pm in the Viking Crown, we're supposed to receive our new sea pass cards tonight delivered to the cabin by 10:30 pm, and meet at the R Bar tomorrow morning at 915

For those joining the ship tomorrow, safe travels and see you soon!

Brad, thanks for posting your reviews and photos, I've been enjoying them very much. We'll be on the ship tomorrow, couldn't be more excited. Let's hope the next 10 days are as fun as your last 8 days have been. :)

Sharon & Jerry

Good morning from Baltimore!

We docked good and early and a few minutes after 7 they where calling the self assist or express walk off guests

For the back2back guests we have to be at the R bar at 9:30 for our "formalities", hopefully it should be quick and easy! Last night they held a little cocktail party for all the b2b guests to explain the expected process for arrival in Baltimore. It was explained that because we went through a full immigration inspection in our las port, Key West, the ship was hopeful that customs wouldn't want to see us in the terminal but we were to have our customs form filled out just Incase.

What actually happened was we did have to leave the ship after the last straggling departing guest left the ship we dinged out if the ship with our old cards (which they kept!!), walked into the terminal handed an customs officer our customs declaration form, and got back on the ship. Overall a complete waste if time :-).

Once back onboard the ship was "ours" until general boarding started at 10:30. Luckily the windjammer opened promptly at 11, and the chaos from last week was thankfully avoided. We avoided the windjammer and attended a nice little lunch in the dining room for back to back guests.

I've moved from my normal "spot" in the Viking crown to a comfy seat on deck 6 to watch everyone wander around and try to find their way around the ship. One thing that surprises both of us so far is just how young this 10 night cruise is shaping up to be, there are a lot if kids!

We try to avoid the WJ as much as possible now. On boarding day, while we arrive early, we wait for lunch until cabins are open. That empties out the WJ that we have no problem getting food or a seat. We then go to our cabin after we eat lunch. It's also helpful since we do late dining.

Most Christmas vacations don't start til after this week so I don't know that you'll see a huge amount of kids. If anything the next cruise, departing on Christmas eve will be full of kids since most are out of school til after the new year anyway.

We try to avoid the WJ as much as possible now. On boarding day, while we arrive early, we wait for lunch until cabins are open. That empties out the WJ that we have no problem getting food or a seat. We then go to our cabin after we eat lunch. It's also helpful since we do late dining.

Most Christmas vacations don't start til after this week so I don't know that you'll see a huge amount of kids. If anything the next cruise, departing on Christmas eve will be full of kids since most are out of school til after the new year anyway.

Glad I'm not the only one who is a bit surprised about a lot of kids thus close to Christmas!

I was on Enchantment over Easter (out of Baltimore), there we're get this, 900 kids. Almost half of the passengers. What a nightmare. They took control of the ship. Every night karaoke was done by kids. At first it was cute. Got very old until the end of the cruise. That cured me from ever doing a cruise over any holiday.

I was on Enchantment over Easter (out of Baltimore), there we're get this, 900 kids. Almost half of the passengers. What a nightmare. They took control of the ship. Every night karaoke was done by kids. At first it was cute. Got very old until the end of the cruise. That cured me from ever doing a cruise over any holiday.

We also avoid holidays and summers. I've heard from others that the Christmas holiday is the worst in terms of the number of kids and the impact.

We also avoid holidays and summers. I've heard from others that the Christmas holiday is the worst in terms of the number of kids and the impact.

Yes, I agree Christmas, which is expected, but 10 days prior?!? We do this same time every year and have never seen such a young crowd besides the actual Christmas cruise we did in 2007 on Explorer

No matter what, I'm not at work, I'm on a cruise!

Hello from day 2 of weeks 2 from the wet and rocking (motion wise) Grandeur of the Seas.

Sail away last night was rather wet and miserable, and that weather has continued into today but with the addition of 15 foot seas! Amazing how quickly things can change, 2 days ago on the return to Baltimore the seas were FLAT calm, not so today. The windjammer was pretty empty for breakfast and lunch today...lots of people trying to find their sea legs!

Last night, we had our first dinner in the dining room! (No unlimited specialty package this week). We have a nice table with three very friendly and professional waiters.

That's all for now!

Good morning from the Grandeur of the Seas!

Thankfully our weather conditions have vastly improved, we no longer have the 15 foot swells that we had yesterday at this time. The ship still has some slight movement, just enough to remind us we are sea. The weather has also vastly increased, we no longer have the torrential rain we had yesterday, already several people have staked their claim on the pool deck are settling in for what looks to be a lovely day at sea.

Today on the Big Screen is "Fred Claus" and at 8:25 Baltimore vs Detroit.

Tonight's show is a production show, "All Access" at 6:30 and 8:30.

Yesterday we had another enjoyable evening in the main dining room. We are very lucky, our waiters are truly excellent. We only ordered entrees, no starters, and as he brought out the starters for the other tables in his section he had our main entrees!

Tonight we have our visit to a speciality restaurant this week, Giovanni's table, hopefully it will still be as good as we remember!

Speaking of speciality dining, there is something new being offered this week, "Frank's Hell Kitchen". For 2 or 4 guests for $70 you get to have your own special table in the galley, including wine. There was someone trying to sell participation for this last night in the concierge lounge, and it is mentioned in today's compass. I'll try to find out if this is a one time only "test" or if this is going to be become a regular event.

That's all for now!

(I haven't added any new pictures recently..honestly there wasn't anything worth photographing yesterday)

Hello from onboard the Grandeur of the Seas! Today is our 3rd and final southbound sea day before we arrive in our first port, St. Kitts!

Today started out with bright sunny skies, and nice and warm (mid 80s) before a quick rain shower quickly cleared out the pool deck around 3:30.

Not a whole lot to report, all these sea days in a row and the turn around day between cruises is almost making this section of the cruise feel like a transatlantic!

We have a slight swell today causing some mild pitching, nothing too bad, but it doest stop people from making comments like, "I've been on carnival and their ships are so much more stable." Oh well!

The swell did cause a little "entertainment" for those who witnesses this, during the showing of "how the grinch stole Christmas" on the bug screen some people set their lounge chairs right up against the pool (which was splashing all over). The ship heaved up, and then right back down and out came a big splash I water soaking the movie watchers.

No formal plans tomorrow, a few ideas in mind, we'll see where they day takes us!

Good morning from Bright and Sunny St. Kitts!

We're docked here with a the beautiful Terra Mona of Paul Gaughin (spelled wrong).

The day started out rather bleak, and while we were having breakfast, torrential rain! The rain was so bad they kept announcing that the morning tours were going to be delayed 30 minutes hoping the weather would improve. Luckily it did, and it is bright and sunny day...doesn't get any better!

We mad our way to the end of the pier to explore the options of either a taxi to the fort, or perhaps an "island tour". I do have to say, the taxi drivers, and all the people of the island we met today were so friendly! Can they give some other islands a few pointers (namely Ocho Rios?)

We dismissed the private taxi, with the fare to and from plus admission it would have been nearly $100 for 2 people! We considered a couple "island tours" (prices were very reasonable, a couple $20!) but they weren't planning to leave until noon or 1! (it wasn't even 10!) oh well We strolled around the pier area (which has been vastly improved), and made our way back to the nice empty ship.

I've added a few photos to the day 12 gallery, I hope to have plenty more tomorrow afternoon after the tour to the baths.

Not much to report from last night, it turns out last night was the final performance of "Divas of Motown", the divas were leaving the ship today (they were exiting the ship with their luggage as we came back on). We had dinner in the dining room, and what we thought was strange, it was the "mojo" menu with the pork chop and prime rib. We always thought that menu was the first night...a nice surprise to have, prime rib, yum!

Hello from onboard the Grandeur of the Seas! Today is our 3rd and final southbound sea day before we arrive in our first port, St. Kitts!

Today started out with bright sunny skies, and nice and warm (mid 80s) before a quick rain shower quickly cleared out the pool deck around 3:30.

Not a whole lot to report, all these sea days in a row and the turn around day between cruises is almost making this section of the cruise feel like a transatlantic!

We have a slight swell today causing some mild pitching, nothing too bad, but it doest stop people from making comments like, "I've been on carnival and their ships are so much more stable." Oh well!

The swell did cause a little "entertainment" for those who witnesses this, during the showing of "how the grinch stole Christmas" on the bug screen some people set their lounge chairs right up against the pool (which was splashing all over). The ship heaved up, and then right back down and out came a big splash I water soaking the movie watchers.

No formal plans tomorrow, a few ideas in mind, we'll see where they day takes us!

I was very amused by some of your "cruise mates" comparing Grandeur to Carnival ships. I'd be interested to know which ships they were talking about since most Carnival ships other than the Fantasy class are much larger than a RCL Vision class ship like Grandeur. That would, of course explain the difference in stability.

As a retired Naval Officer, I can tell you that the RCL ships are some of the most sea worthy ships I've ever sailed on. Their length to beam ratios by themselves make them much more steady platforms than comparable ships in Carnivals fleet and I've been on 3 of their ship classes. Couple that with the way RCL employs stability equipment like their stabilizers (they tend to use them in less daunting seas, chosing to address passenger comfort ahead of fuel eonomics), and I find the RCL fleet to be far more comfortable riding than comparable Carnival ships. Just my opinion.

I was very amused by some of your "cruise mates" comparing Grandeur to Carnival ships. I'd be interested to know which ships they were talking about since most Carnival ships other than the Fantasy class are much larger than a RCL Vision class ship like Grandeur. That would, of course explain the difference in stability.

As a retired Naval Officer, I can tell you that the RCL ships are some of the most sea worthy ships I've ever sailed on. Their length to beam ratios by themselves make them much more steady platforms than comparable ships in Carnivals fleet and I've been on 3 of their ship classes. Couple that with the way RCL employs stability equipment like their stabilizers (they tend to use them in less daunting seas, chosing to address passenger comfort ahead of fuel eonomics), and I find the RCL fleet to be far more comfortable riding than comparable Carnival ships. Just my opinion.

I doubt the person who was "complaining" had any scientific facts/proof behind their claim...they just knew on a previous cruise from Baltimore the seas were fine, this time, not so much... People tend to forget a ship no matter the size is still pretty much a cork bobbing around in a bathtub.

Good morning Everyone from partly sunny San Juan!

The gangways were opened right around 8am, and I made my way ashore shortly after, and returned to the ship around 10. We have a very early all aboard time of 12:30 so I wanted to get out and wander around old San Juan before it got too hot. I know some people don't care for Old San Juan, but I enjoy wandering the streets making my way up to the view at "El Morro". I was even rewarded with a rainbow over the fort! I wish we were here for an evening call, the streets are filled with christmas displays and lights, I'm sure it must look magical at night! Some of the displays during the day are pretty nice themselves!

Yesterday was a wonderfully exhausting day after the excursion to "the baths". The tour departed the pier promptly at 10:30, and we returned a few minutes after 3. I'll get some photos posted in the day 13 gallery in a few moments, but to anyone who has Tortola as a port of call, I HIGHLY suggest the excursion to "the baths" (as long as you are relatively physically fit, the train down to the beach and back up is a bit steep).

I've also posted a few pictures in the day 14 gallery of Old San Juan.

Hi Brad,

Thanks for posting! We will be sailing on the Grandeur in January, so it is good to hear all the inside scoops.

"Frank's Hell's Kitchen" is something we would be interested in doing. Hope they offer it on our cruise!

Enjoy the rest of your cruise.

Mary Lou

This is great; we are enjoying your review so much!!! We'll be on Gandeur for the first time next year, so we are really interested in everything we can find out. We have a few questions for you.

When you docked in San Juan, did it dock right in town so you are right in Old San Juan when you get off the ship, or was it over a mile away?

Looking at the show times we were wondering about times for a couple other things. Were the traditional dining times at 6:00 & 8:30, or moved up to 5:30 and 8:00 (or of course anything else!)? You mentioned the Concierge Lounge, do you know if the hours for the lounge were 5:00 to 8:30 or earlier?

Love your style of writing and all the great information you are sharing!!

We're pretty envious since we're sitting here in snowy MN, but we hope the rest of your cruise is wonderful!!!