The ONE authentic food on each island?

vjsprang

I absolutely LOVE trying the one (or two) food that is authentic and special to whatever area I am in - ex. conch fritters & key lime pie in Key West, deep dish pizza in Chicago.

I would love suggestions as to WHAT to try and any suggestions for WHERE as well.

We will be in:

Tortola

St. Maarten

St. Kitts

Dominica

Barbados

(I know this is the St. Maarten forum, but this one seems to be a little more active than a lot of the others :) )

Guava berry rum is native to St. Maarten. I prefer the gourmet restaurants to any "island" food that I have had in St. Martin. Why not experience the best cuisine that this island offers and go to a lovely beachside restaurant in Grand Case with gorgeous views of Creole Rock and Anguilla in the distance. To me that beats any Johnny cake or creole dish that I have ever had on the island.

Edited by Karysa

• 4 weeks later...

I asked a local what the most authentic St. Maarten food would be, or what I should try while I was there. She said that Bitterballen is very popular. It's a Dutch food. It's basically a meatball that has a doughy shell and is served with different sauces.

I asked a local what the most authentic St. Maarten food would be, or what I should try while I was there. She said that Bitterballen is very popular. It's a Dutch food. It's basically a meatball that has a doughy shell and is served with different sauces.

I had this at Karakter beach bar at Simpson Bay. Delicious!

There's a fantastic French bakery in Marigot on the "French side" of St. Maarten. Popular stop for tourists.

We tend to go after more local fish on the islands. It's the spices they use in the Carib and freshness of seafood that makes things crazy delicious. Simple but great. We found lots of chicken dishes too. Beans and rice, sweet potatos are big sides on all the islands.

If you google each island usually the local info offered for tourists includes a food/restuarant section.

Edited by eandj