Messina??

kathew

This is the last of 9 ports on our 14 day cruise. So we would ideally like to keep it as cheap as possible.

We aren't into museums, but do enjoy learning about different cultures. We don't mind walking around for long distances. Does anyone have any pictures or advice for what to do?

I've noticed a lot of reviews say to head to Taormina, but I haven't seen many reasons why. Plus, unless it is really a MUST DO, we would rather try to save our money for the other ports. We're also going to places such as Athens, Rome, Ephesus, so we will be seeing a lot of historic artifacts earlier in the trip.

Any help or advice would be beneficial, and I thank you in advance!! :)

We were in Messina on a B2B cruise on the Navigator last month. Twice, in fact. The first week was a scheduled port and the second was our port in the storm when bad weather forced us to forgo Malta. I was really glad about that because.... The first time we went to Messina, we made a beeline out of the city to visit Taormina. We got back in just enough time to take a poke around and we remarked that it was a shame we didn't spend more time in Messina because it actually looked very nice! Lo and behold, we got our wish the very next week when we made an unscheduled visit back. :D

I hope you'll have as pleasant a day as we did simply wandering around. When you get off the ship, go straight to the little tourist booth in the building. It's on your immediate left. The people there will give you a good map and plenty of recommendations on what to see and how to get there. Messina is very hilly so wear sturdy shoes. There are several worthwhile churches and museums, lots of cafes that have free WiFi if you want it, and above, once you climb up the hills, fabulous views of the sea.

One thing NOT NOT NOT to miss: the astrological clock show at the church, at noon, at the cathedral. Another is the Provincial Gallery of Modern and Contemporary Art on Via XXIV Maggio It's lovely. We ducked in simply because it was on our tourist map and it was pouring down with rain and we wanted an escape, and it was free. We were so surprised! It's an interesting space and the paintings are beautiful. Even if you think you don't like contemporary art--trust me on this one.

The shopping streets to the west of the port are very good. The info people will show you which streets to head to.

Here's the TripAdvisor site for further info on Messina. http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g187889-Activities-Messina_Province_of_Messina_Sicily.html

This is the last of 9 ports on our 14 day cruise. So we would ideally like to keep it as cheap as possible.

We aren't into museums, but do enjoy learning about different cultures. We don't mind walking around for long distances. Does anyone have any pictures or advice for what to do?

I've noticed a lot of reviews say to head to Taormina, but I haven't seen many reasons why. Plus, unless it is really a MUST DO, we would rather try to save our money for the other ports. We're also going to places such as Athens, Rome, Ephesus, so we will be seeing a lot of historic artifacts earlier in the trip.

Any help or advice would be beneficial, and I thank you in advance!! :)

I was in exactly your situation, in that it was the last stop of an exhausting cruise of a million highlights so we just walked off the ship and did this

It's not much of a video but it does show the noon clock show Dierdre mentions. All the best, Tony Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We went on Taormina and Castelmola tour which cost us about 40 euro pp (320/ 8 persons). Not a lot of money but the trip was unforgettable. After that I wanted to spend a week in Taormina. It is so beautiful, clean and peaceful small town with lots of history. Before going to Taormina the driver drove us near that clock tower (everyone is talking about) in Messina and told us about an earthquake that destroyed old Messina. Messina was rebuilt after the earthquake that is why there is no much to see there. It is modern port town now. I would recommend you to go to Taormina instead of staying in Messina. You can find fellow cruisers on you Roll call and share a van to go to Taormina. You can book it prior your cruise. We did our transfer tour with http://www.sicilylimousineservice.com/sicily/index.asp

Ask for Claudio and you will be not disappointed.

We joined a tour from our Roll call, with Sicily with Mario. It was not terribly expensive. I did not know much about Sicily but it ended up being our favorite tour, Mario was so much fun. We did Mt Etna, Taoromina and Castlemola.

The Greek Theatre, and the public gardens were highlight.

We even had time at the end to stop at the Domo is Messina and also a bakery for Cannoli.

Mt Etna from the Greek Theatre.

image_zps98e45977.jpg

The Greek Theatre

image_zps20b60bf4.jpg

Looking down on the Greek Theatre from Castlemola

image_zps8e2dffb3.jpg

Edited by lsmommy

• 3 weeks later...