Help with Baths, please

Marylandteachergirl

Hello!

I have been reading this board and think I am more confused than before. We will be on Jewel next year and will be in Tortola from 8am to 5:30pm

We really just want to spend some time at The Baths. We are a party of 6 -

I see there is a ship's excursion, there are Smith's and Speedy's ferry services, and several charter companies that get good recommendations here, Patouche, Kuralu, and one that starts with an A - don't have that screen up right now, sorry.

But, it doesn't look like the charter companies go to The Baths, or am I misreading their websites?

I am not sure two of the adults are strong swimmers - is this a problem with the charter companies? Walking up and down the trail would not be a problem.

Sorry I am so confused - this is our 3rd So. Caribbean cruise, and I do not know why I am struggling with this island so much.

Thank you for any input or corrections to my thinking that you may have :)

Hi Maryland,

No worries, many people struggle with Tortola excursions for their first visit, and since the Baths are unique it’s natural to want to visit them and spend the most time that you can there.

We stay on Tortola and haven’t taken the private boats or even Joe’s Patouche, but we do take the ferry over from Road Town and that’s a great way to go. You’re right, there are 2 ferry services, and if you decide to ferry you just want to take the ferry that best meets your timeline. Also, you may also be able to spend more time on VG if you take one ferry over and the other back. That costs $10pp more but the extra time is precious.

I mentioned to someone else that they may want to take the earliest ferry over and head for another spot like Savannah or Spring Bay and enjoy a nice beach for awhile. Then head over to the Baths and maybe the bigger crowds will be gone. But you have to head back to catch the ship and so you don’t have a ton of time for that plan. It may pay just to grab the first ferry and the firat taxi on VG and get there first.

I would e-mail the charters to get a clear picture of what they would do then decide if one of them works for you or the ferry is the best option. It may take a little bit to get a reply but they will reply.

Good luck!

Marylandteachergirl,

What sailing are you on. We are going to be on the 2/8 sailing of the Jewel. We are in the same boat (no pun intended). I posted a similar thread yesterday. I haven't been able to find an operator that goes mainly to the baths, unless you want to charter a boat.

I did find a company that would charter for a fixed price. I don't think I am allowed to put it on the site. The break even would be about 11 people for what I am seeing.

If by some luck you are on the 2/8 sailing, then maybe we could charter one together since it sounds like we are looking for the same thing. 3 in our party - 2 adults and 1 9 year old.

By the way, we have been to Tortola twice before.

The first time we went across in a 6 person motor boat that was aranged by a tour operator that was already full. We snorkeled in from the boat. My son at the time was either 5 or 6. We had snorkle vests - just in case. No issues at all, but it was calm that day. We loved the baths, but the only problem was that we didn't stay long enough. We went to Cooper and another snorkeling spot (which were good), but I would really like to spend most of the day there.

The second time there were 6 foot waves on that side of the island, so our tour went to the other side of the island. It was a bummer, but at least they had a plan B. All of the ships tours were cancelled.

KC Bryan

Hi kcbryan,

We are actually Jan. 2015!!! So, more than a year away. I plan way early - largely so I can book Calabaza for Barbados. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back to the So. Caribbean. We have been an Adventure twice, and this will be our first time on Jewel.

I have been reading about the ferries, and it seems like a pretty good plan as long as we leave plenty of time to get back to the ship.

I usually book independent excursions, but am considering the ship's tour just because we have two friends joining us and this will be their first cruise.

So, I guess I have narrowed it down to Speedy's/Smiths ferries or the RCI excursion. With all the crowds. I have seen there are a few small power boat operators that try to get customers at the dock, but there are as many poor reviews for them as there are good.

blue_water, thank you for the response! If I am reading correctly, the ferries drop you off at a dock, then you taxi to the Baths entrance and pay the small fee. Is this where the trail is to walk down? Where the restaurant is at the top of the Baths?

Then we would just do the same in reverse?

I think all aboard is 4:45, so we would probably leave by 2?? Does this sound reasonable? I like private excursions, but I always have a tiny fear of something going amiss and the ship sailing without us. That would be terrible!

Yes you have it!

The ship excursion will be the same, if you can get off the boat early you can often make the ferry ahead of them (and the taxi on VG) because the excursion group has to assemble, etc. So no benefit to taking the ship excursion that I'm aware of. Speedy's also offers a lunch and taxi package (the lunch is in Spanishtown I believe) but we like keeping our options open.

Our favorite spot for lunch is the Mineshaft Cafe which isn't too far out of the way on your return from the Baths if time permits. The panoramic view is spectacular, and their signature drink is the Cave In - "It's all in the juice, mon!" Or you can have lunch at the Bath & Turtle in Spanishtown (VG) or at Pussers Pub in Road Town if you're back early.

It's giood to take the next to last ferry that will get you back in town just in case, but they run very regularly and are very dependable.

Enjoy your day!

If all you want to do is to go to the baths I'd recommend that you just take the ferry on your own. You can walk to Speedy's dock from the ship. I believe that the fare is $30 RT. The taxi fare from the dock in Virgin Gorda to the baths is minimal. (I'm trying to find out if Speedy's accepts credit cards; I believe that they do). Seeing the baths requires some hiking and squeezing through tight spaces. There may not be facilities at the beach; there so some cruisers find this "roughing it". If you can negotiate the baths you'd have no trouble making it to the ferry dock and saving the money that way.

[

Yes going on your own is definitely the best option unless you want the security of being with the excursion group, and the ferry passes are $30pp RT unless you choose to take Speedy's over and Smith's back and that will cost $20pp each way or $40pp RT. In some cases that can give you more time on VG and that's well worth the extra $10, but in your case the Speedy's 9AM & 3:30PM schedule works nicely. Note that the schedules may be different on a Sunday or BVI public holiday. And I think ship time and island time will be the same in April but double check that to see if you arrive 7AM or 8AM Tortola time.

The Speedy's schedule will give you 6 hrs on VG and so plenty of time to enjoy the Baths and then have a lunch or shop in Spanishtown after unless you go to the Top of the Baths or the Mineshaft. You may even want to visit Savannah Bay briefly to see that nice beach as taxis are inexpensive.

http://www.bvivacation.com/transportation/virgin-islands-taxi-fares.php

You can walk to the ferry from Spanishtown (short walk) and I would recommend getting in the ferry line by at least 3PM because everyone on VG from your ship will want that ferry back.

http://www.bviferries.com/

http://www.bviferryservices.com/home.php

Edited by blue_water

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I have been reading that going to the baths would take to climb, hike, jump, crawl or whatever. Can you actually do this with backpacks, hagndbags etc? I cannot think of bringing a bag with me, since I carry a lot of stuff. Camera, wallet, towels, extra clothes, suntan lotion, etc.

What would you say is the best to bring, and also what to wear?

Thanks!

If you're not carrying a water-resistant bag bring a smaller bag that holds a wallet, and smaller items and leave that in a small locker at Poor Man's beach bar.

Is camera water-resistant? If not leave in locker.

Wear water shoes or other soled shoes for the walk down and through the water.

You don't want to carry a lot of stuff on this excursion, you can carry sunscreen and money in a Zip-Loc bag and carry a towel but try to travel light.