Airboat excursion in Ft Lauderdale?

Aqua's Mom

We're leaving a week from Friday on the Zuiderdam. I've just realized it is really happening and started planning. Yikes! First planning questions... DH wants to do the post cruise excursion that includes an airboat ride in the Everglades. Is this safe (I envision bugs and alligators). If so, what should we wear? Plan on changing clothes for flight home? What to do with valuables? Any advice welcome.

I'm sure to have more questions as I wait for the upgrade fairy!

We have done an airboat excursion to the Everglades and it was one of the best excursions we have done. We went on our own with a rented car when we stayed in Fort Lauderdale. It was very safe. The guide pulled the boat close to alligators and gave us lots of info. The airboat ride itself is only about 30 minutes. Dress for the local temperatures. I don't recall it being very "buggy" when we were there.

If it is a post HAL excursion, the suitcases should be with you, and you would go from the excursion to the airport (unless using luggage direct for checked bags). You can take your purse on the airboat with small valuables.

You are in an airboat with several others and is perfectly safe as long as you don't jump into the water. It is VERY loud - they provide ear plugs for everyone. It may be a bit chilly if a front comes through - high 50's/low 60's, but you are moving along at a good clip so you have to factor in a 15-20 kt wind. Don't forget to take a sweater and a nylon jacket as you will be used to the warm Caribbean.

Agreed that it is one of the best excursions that we've done. We did it through HAL and then went directly to the airport. We used Luggage Direct so we didn't have any luggage to worry about...just carry-ons.

Sent from my iPad

We do hear about occasional air boat accidents in FL, but they are pretty rare. Sometimes they have engine troubles and the boat has to be rescued!

Best views, and quietest spot, is the front row. A previous poster said they give you earplugs, but the ones I've been on (not in Everglades) have used "headphones" like the ones airport apron workers use.

Edited by jtl513

We're leaving a week from Friday on the Zuiderdam. I've just realized it is really happening and started planning. Yikes! First planning questions... DH wants to do the post cruise excursion that includes an airboat ride in the Everglades. Is this safe (I envision bugs and alligators). If so' date=' what should we wear? Plan on changing clothes for flight home? What to do with valuables? Any advice welcome.

I'm sure to have more questions as I wait for the upgrade fairy![/quote']

We have done this excursion and loved it! We are taking a B2B in just eight weeks and must be off the ship in Ft. Lauderdale for the 'turnaround'.

So, we signed up again for this trip. As another poster mentioned, be sure to take a jacket as it can be chilly with wind chill riding on the airboat. And be sure to bring sunglasses (or if you wear glasses, it should be sufficient). The windy factor can irritate the eyes...my eyes are sensitive...so sunglasses for eye protection..a must.

Enjoy it. Hope you see lots of gators, we saw lots and lots on our first trip!!! If you get the chance, you can even hold a 'baby alligator'!!! :D

We did this on the turnaround day of our B2B collector's cruise on the Noordam in November 2012. I didn't want to do it and my husband insisted. It turned out to be a blast. Learning about the Sawgrass was interesting. Even the bus ride was okay.

We rented a private airboat when we were in FLL in late November. It was a little over 2 hours and you actually get to go deep into the Everglades and no sharing with anybody that is not part of your family/group.

We loved it and would do it again in a heartbeat. It was a bit chilly that day - only 70 degrees, but we were fine with a cardigan/light windbreaker on. It was awesome!

Agreed that it is one of the best excursions that we've done. We did it through HAL and then went directly to the airport. We used Luggage Direct so we didn't have any luggage to worry about...just carry-ons.

I did this excursion with my Mom in Feb 2012. We loved the excursion. That being said, I don't recommend luggage direct because of what happened to us. A fairly heavy rainstorm came up while we were on the airboat and we got drenched. Since our luggage had gone ahead of us, we had to wear our soaked clothes all the way home to Arizona. We were able to buy sweatshirts at the airport, but other than that, we were freezing all day. Do the excursion, though; it's a blast!

I did this when I got back on Monday. The air boat is safe. Folks with mobility issues experienced difficulty getting in and out of the boat. There is a step over and down to get in and out. The guide and other passengers had to help people. The gators did not seem to care that we were there. The excursion also includes demonstrations, lectures and tours of their reptile sanctuary and animal sanctuary. Most are rescues from abusive situations and strays. Some of them are bred there, such as alligators. Folks that don't like animals in captivity need to know this is part of the excursion. I sat on the front bench of the boat, in a hat and sunglasses. When I exited the boat, I was covered in what I was told was ash. I let it dry and wiped it off at the airport. I did luggage direct and experienced no issues. The bus is a greyhound type motor coach.

I did this excursion with my Mom in Feb 2012. We loved the excursion. That being said, I don't recommend luggage direct because of what happened to us. A fairly heavy rainstorm came up while we were on the airboat and we got drenched. Since our luggage had gone ahead of us, we had to wear our soaked clothes all the way home to Arizona. We were able to buy sweatshirts at the airport, but other than that, we were freezing all day. Do the excursion, though; it's a blast!

We had a full change of clothes in our carry on. If you do that, and use luggage direct you should be fine. Doing the excursion through HAL though, they would keep all your luggage on the bus.