Venice, Italy cruise terminal & Noordam

ozcruizer

We are boarding the Noordam in Venice on 26 April for the Dream of the Mediterranean 22 day cruise :). Can anyone tell me which pier the Noordam usually berths at? I'm trying to find a hotel as close as possible as we will only be there overnight (been to Venice only a couple of years ago) and want to have luggage transportation as simple as possible.

Thanks,

Ozcruizer

HAL uses 4 or 5 different piers, but no matter which the ship is at the nearest hotels would be on or near Piazzale Roma. From there you take the People Mover to the middle stop and walk from there.

Check HERE in January for the 2014 pier schedule, and HERE for a port map.

See the Ports of Call Italy forum for hotel suggestions

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=595

Edited by jtl513

The pier in Venice is VERY contained. Regardless of the actual pier number, you will be ajacent to the Piazzale Roma... a major hub for bus and trains.

Venice is rather small in scale, but can be difficult to navigate with luggage. Even if you choose to stay in a hotel near the pier, (utilizing the people mover) please be certain you can wheel your bags up and over stairs and cobblestones. :eek:

On our last visit we took the people mover and when we got off HAL had a shuttle bus right to the ship. We did have to put our luggage in the underneath compartment in the bus. It was a large Greyhound like bus. Not all lines had a bus, some others you had to walk to the ship.

On our last visit we took the people mover and when we got off HAL had a shuttle bus right to the ship. We did have to put our luggage in the underneath compartment in the bus. It was a large Greyhound like bus. Not all lines had a bus, some others you had to walk to the ship.

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I've been thinking something near the Piazzale Roma would be the go. My TA went ahead and booked a hotel which does not sound suitable as it's on Venice Island. She didn't check first with me either! Love Venice, but don't want to be hauling luggage any further than necessary!

I had a look for the cruise ships schedule today and as it didn't come up, I assumed I must have been too early. Thanks for the link to it.

Ozcruizer

I had a look for the cruise ships schedule today and as it didn't come up, I assumed I must have been too early. Thanks for the link to it.

It should be available 24 hours. Try this http://www.vtp.it/calendario/ and just put in Noordam for Nave in the Calendario Crocieri box then click OK. Note that it's not showing 2014 yet. :)

edit: OR you can put in just Holland America for Compagnia and see all ships for the year.

Edited by jtl513

Yeah, well we were to have a bus from the people mover also but.....no go. Also the pier (20) was the most primitive and the furthest away. No smooth driveway to get there. Awful time dragging suitcases. (Good Samsonite commercial) We stayed overnight on the ship but at 4 a.m. we were moved down east past St Mark's Square to Riva Sette Martiri which turned out to be a good thing. When we were ready to leave Venice on N Amsterdam, the capt came on and said we were staying over a second night waiting for a part, which they eventually got from Queen Victoria which was having test runs nearby.

Ole sole mio!;)

Edited by catl331

Stayed at the Best Western Olympin at the Piazzale Roma. Because we had been traveling for two weeks through Italy we had a couple of cases of wine, some gourmet food stuff, and our luggage. We took a cab from the Piazzale Roma right to the luggage drop off area for our boat. No need to mess with the luggage on the people mover. After checking in, we used the people mover to return to the Piazzale Roma.

We stayed at the Santa Chiara Hotel right at the Piazzale Roma after getting off of the NA in Sept. No bridges to cross from the People mover. Right on the canal. Ask for the main building, not the annex.

We're booked for one night at the Santa Chiara precruise prior to boarding the NA on 5th June. Love the idea of no bridges to cross or stairs to climb.