Naughty or nice on a cruise ship

Erica@cruisecritic

I don't mean to be tooting my own horn here or anything but for about our last ten cruises we've been giving our cabin attendant a "day off" at least once on a seven day cruise and last month four times on a TA.

We just tell him/her that we just want clean towels and to leave everything else as it is. We are certainly capable of making our own bed. We try to keep everything in its place and are seldom in the cabin so see no need for them to come in every day and sweep and dust, etc. I don't do that at home so we figure we really don't need it done on a cruise either. And, we've never gotten sick because our room wasn't cleaned every day.

My only concern is that I don't want them to get in trouble if a room gets inspected or something. I usually write a note the first time I request it so there is proof that it was requested and he/she just wasn't doing their job.

Believe me, they really appreciate this especially since they now have more rooms to clean than ever before. On our last TA the cabin steward said he had been doing this for 27 years and no one had ever given him a day off.

He had tears in his eyes the first time we told him.

Like I said before, assuming it isn't against the rules or anything, wouldn't it be great if every passenger could give their cabin attendant a day off once during a cruise?

We were spending the afternoon on the pool deck by the hot tub but several children were monopolizing the hot tub. When we asked them to quit jumping in the hot tub, they told us we could leave. Got out and sat on deck chairs to wait them out.....one got out of the hot tub, walked over to her mother (next to us), stood there and used the bathroom in front of everyone - she was about 5 to 7 years old - mother did nothing. They got up and left.

After that, so did we!:eek:

Edited by wyatt618

Naughty & nice: On one cruise one of the table couples were politically 180 degrees opposite the rest of us at the table. And they made it known how we were all morons.

Next night they had moved to another table. Two nights later our waiter leaned over and quietly told us their new table mates don't like them either and wanted them moved again.

I think we had the same people on our Australia cruise.

We like the idea of paying it forward... we have been on the giving and receiving of paying it forward. My husband helped a black woman repair a tire and she wanted to pay him but he said just pass it forward. Not too long on a cold and rainy day I had a flat tire and a large black man stopped and used a portable lift to lift up my car and replaced the tire with my spare.. after asking to pay him he said just pass it foreward...

Take care...

Irene & Miles

I had my own small fishing boat and learned this really works! I don't know if I was ahead or behind when I sold my boat, but maybe someone out there will benefit if I was ahead.

My DH and I were on a Canada/New England Fall cruise and had gotten off the ship In Canada to ride the local bus (which required exact fare in Canadian $ only). While we were standing by the bus stop trying to figure out if we had the correct amount (didn't!) a nice well dressed older woman walked up to us to ask if we needed help. After telling her our confusion, she opened her change purse and handed us the correct Canadian $ and when we tried to give her US $ in exchange....she just smiled and told us to have a wonderful day and be sure to enjoy the trip to the Reverse Flow Falls and turned and walked away smiling saying she was paying it forward. WOW! What a warm glow we carried with us the rest of that trip on Princess!