Crashing after the Cruise

Lovedisneycruise

Recently returned from Fantasy eastern caribbean cruise with my young adult daughter - had a fantastic time - my third DCL cruise. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a deep feeling of missing MY ship....wanting to return NOW....dreaming of the relaxing views, etc. :(

What do all you regular cruisers do to keep the magical feelings flowing between trips? I work full-time, so usually can only cruise once a year, although I'm hoping to increase that soon! Part of the problem is no one close to me (other than my daughter) really likes cruising :confused::eek:, so I might try going solo on a shorter cruise. But I dislike the thought of paying "double" for a cabin when I'm not even a big eater, so not yet sure.

The one thing we did do was to book next year's cruise at discount while on the ship--first time for that! So we have next November to look forward to, and I'm definitely happy for that, but that's sooooo far away..................:o

Since retiring (and being able to cruise whenever) I make sure I have another cruise booked before I get on the ship. Then it is not so hard to get off because I know when I will set foot onboard again. Helps to alleviate the "end of a cruise blues".

We've done 2--4 day cruises and 2--7 day cruises On the Wonder and Fantasy. In our quest to cruise on all 4 ships we're doing another 4 night cruise on the Dream in March. I know I'll have a major case of missing my ship. The 4 night cruises seem so short now. I'll live though and hopefully have a 7 day cruise on board the Magic booked before we sail :)

The key is to book another cruise so you have one to look forward to.

Keith

Yep, this is the only acceptable therapy. It is my dream to get on the Fantasy, but after our first DCL this yr (3 Day Dream), ALL I wanted to was to be booked on another one, and I didn't even care when it was. We booked a 4 Day Magic for May '14 when our 10% coupon arrived in the mail (yay!) and had to be used by end of July. So from July to May, and now I have 4 months, and its coming fast! Just knowing its there (with some park days and our whole family and our group of friends coming is growing) makes me SOOO happy! Instead of eating my woes away in this awful winter, I'm working out every single day, tracking my food, getting stronger, staying happier, and its because I have a spring light at the end of my tunnel. Why gain a bunch this winter? I'm just going to want to look mermaid ready so instead, it keeps me on my toes and Sat I went to the gym and ran a 5K just because. (The disney music Pandora REALLY helped. Every time I thought I would be done, the Hawaiian music from Stitch or something came on and really drove up my pace.) I know its silly that I need a vacation to look forward to in order to stay healthy and active all winter, but I'm DEFINITELY seasonally affected and these short days are killing me.

When I came back from my last DCL in April, I gained my 6-10 pounds back and I have been fighting with them all year. I had to leave off my tastey coconut rum tropical comfort drinks that I had gotten on the trip as souvenirs and made me feel like I was on a cruise again. All that sugar just put me back 10 pounds, but I am on the move. So don't let yourself get depressed and suffer a set back. Join the DISboards, where we relive and plan our next one every day, even if its a year away. And write a trip journal of the one you just finished. (2 weeks after ours, I still had enough memories from the trip to fill 20 pages fully typed! I printed out all my trip photos and organized a journal with sheet protectors to put the trip log right with the photo album. That really helped my post cruise blues!)

And good job on booking your next one. Believe me, it will change your "oh no! its OVER!" in to a "let's plan for the next one!" Btw, if you want to fit in a 3/4 day, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD. They are still WONDERFUL! And I'm sure you can find a friend to take with you. Anyone with half a brain who likes a beach and food is going to go bananas for a Disney cruise. I hope you find a buddy. Thankfully my whole family and especially my husband (he loves to eat and be on the go) LOVE cruising!

I hope one day I can get on the Fantasy like you!

Edited by TwinPrincessMermaids

We've done 2--4 day cruises and 2--7 day cruises On the Wonder and Fantasy. In our quest to cruise on all 4 ships we're doing another 4 night cruise on the Dream in March. I know I'll have a major case of missing my ship. The 4 night cruises seem so short now. I'll live though and hopefully have a 7 day cruise on board the Magic booked before we sail :)

ITA! I've now done two 7-day after my first 4-day on the Dream, and even the 7 seem too quick sometimes! I may try the shorter one solo, but I'm afraid 4 days will pass in a blink.

Like I told my daughter, I think I'm just meant to live permanently on the ship or Castaway Cay!!:p

Recently returned from Fantasy eastern caribbean cruise with my young adult daughter - had a fantastic time - my third DCL cruise. Unfortunately, I am experiencing a deep feeling of missing MY ship....wanting to return NOW....dreaming of the relaxing views, etc. :(

What do all you regular cruisers do to keep the magical feelings flowing between trips? I work full-time, so usually can only cruise once a year, although I'm hoping to increase that soon! Part of the problem is no one close to me (other than my daughter) really likes cruising :confused::eek:, so I might try going solo on a shorter cruise. But I dislike the thought of paying "double" for a cabin when I'm not even a big eater, so not yet sure.

..................:o

I put on shorts, fill a glass with a rum punch and head over to a Disney Store for a quick fix.

I am running out of stores that will let me in though.

I put on shorts, fill a glass with a rum punch and head over to a Disney Store for a quick fix.

Yeah that rum is a killer. I already posted that I gained a bunch from mine. Now I just look at the pretty bottles and take my liver cleansers and go for a run...

I see why the stores won't let you in. In most places around the country right now, you would have to be crazy to be wearing shorts. And we don't have any Dis Stores around here. (If we did, I would be BEGGING for a P/T job so I could have employee benefits!!!)

Yep, this is the only acceptable therapy. It is my dream to get on the Fantasy, but after our first DCL this yr (3 Day Dream), ALL I wanted to was to be booked on another one, and I didn't even care when it was. We booked a 4 Day Magic for May '14 when our 10% coupon arrived in the mail (yay!) and had to be used by end of July. So from July to May, and now I have 4 months, and its coming fast! Just knowing its there (with some park days and our whole family and our group of friends coming is growing) makes me SOOO happy! Instead of eating my woes away in this awful winter, I'm working out every single day, tracking my food, getting stronger, staying happier, and its because I have a spring light at the end of my tunnel. Why gain a bunch this winter? I'm just going to want to look mermaid ready so instead, it keeps me on my toes and Sat I went to the gym and ran a 5K just because. (The disney music Pandora REALLY helped. Every time I thought I would be done, the Hawaiian music from Stitch or something came on and really drove up my pace.) I know its silly that I need a vacation to look forward to in order to stay healthy and active all winter, but I'm DEFINITELY seasonally affected and these short days are killing me.

When I came back from my last DCL in April, I gained my 6-10 pounds back and I have been fighting with them all year. I had to leave off my tastey coconut rum tropical comfort drinks that I had gotten on the trip as souvenirs and made me feel like I was on a cruise again. All that sugar just put me back 10 pounds, but I am on the move. So don't let yourself get depressed and suffer a set back. Join the DISboards, where we relive and plan our next one every day, even if its a year away. And write a trip journal of the one you just finished. (2 weeks after ours, I still had enough memories from the trip to fill 20 pages fully typed! I printed out all my trip photos and organized a journal with sheet protectors to put the trip log right with the photo album. That really helped my post cruise blues!)

And good job on booking your next one. Believe me, it will change your "oh no! its OVER!" in to a "let's plan for the next one!" Btw, if you want to fit in a 3/4 day, YOU DEFINITELY SHOULD. They are still WONDERFUL! And I'm sure you can find a friend to take with you. Anyone with half a brain who likes a beach and food is going to go bananas for a Disney cruise. I hope you find a buddy. Thankfully my whole family and especially my husband (he loves to eat and be on the go) LOVE cruising!

I hope one day I can get on the Fantasy like you!

TPM, I love to read your enthusiastic cruise posts and like you, I'm completely sold on DCL! You are so lucky to be going again in the spring! I hope you can get on the Fantasy soon, too, because I am absolutely in love with that ship! (2012 & 2013 Fantasy trips:))....and it's shows....and dining rooms....etc.etc......:p

For me, I've discovered that the least expensive times of year to sail on it seem to be early November and early December, so I'd keep an eye on prices for that time of year. Two can sail pretty reasonably then, and if you pre-book onboard with the 10% discount, it's that much better!

I'm a little nervous about our next cruise on the Magic because I've never sailed the classic ships, and I'm concerned it will seem too small after the Dream and Fantasy. But I'm hoping the Disney magic pervades all ships, regardless of size, and I'm anxious to see the other shows, dining rooms, etc. So I guess I AM getting excited for next November, even though it's 11 months away!! lol I'll be very anxious to read your thoughts once you sail on the Magic because I'll only have FIVE months to go after that!!:p

Edited by Lovedisneycruise
typo

LOL :D I used to have a Disney store in the large and popular mall near my home, but they vacated a couple of years ago--told me the rent went up way too much. I really miss it, because I would also go in and walk around whenever I needed a Disney fix!

Now I get that by reading about everyone's trips!:p

Edited by Lovedisneycruise
typos again - that's what I get for posting at work! :)

I also work full time so I am limited to one cruise a year. I use to only get to go every other year so it has been a real treat to have done one each of the last 3 years with next years already booked! I spend a lot of time making scrapbooks of the trip to help make it last "longer". I also visit our Disney store about every other week. I am always on the look out for a great deal!:D

ITA! I've now done two 7-day after my first 4-day on the Dream, and even the 7 seem too quick sometimes! I may try the shorter one solo, but I'm afraid 4 days will pass in a blink.

Like I told my daughter, I think I'm just meant to live permanently on the ship or Castaway Cay!!:p

I have been plotting my retirement on a cruise. Lol

The one thing we did do was to book next year's cruise at discount while on the ship--first time for that! So we have next November to look forward to, and I'm definitely happy for that, but that's sooooo far away..................:o

Oh how I know the feeling! The feeling was worst after having completed the 12-day Med cruise last June. I agree with the other posts that you need to book another cruise before you leave the ship. My family is fortunate to have been on all 4 ships and we enjoyed all of them. We even had the same server 3 times because of our request. We normally cruise 2 times a year and we are blessed to be able to do so despite living across the country in Washington state. That being said we may not be sailing next year though we do have one booked for August.

For a cure, I read this forum daily and visit the DCL websites to get myself excited and feeling at home. Notably, after having watched Frozen at my local theater 2 weeks ago , I actually felt that I was watching a Disney Premier on the ship. That gave me a satisfying feeling.

Edited by ivrier

I also work full time so I am limited to one cruise a year. I use to only get to go every other year so it has been a real treat to have done one each of the last 3 years with next years already booked! I spend a lot of time making scrapbooks of the trip to help make it last "longer". I also visit our Disney store about every other week. I am always on the look out for a great deal!:D

Tmac, I feel very fortunate too, to have cruised the past three 3 years--2011 on the Dream, May 2012 on the Fantasy and now December 2013 on the Fantasy again. And YES, 2014 on the Magic is booked!!:p I am definitely a big Disney fan, but I never expected to love cruising so much because I get motion sick on park rides, sometimes in a car, etc. I'm not sure why, but I've been spared this on these ships, other than being off balance in rough waters. I wish I had a Disney store to visit, too, and will have to check and see where the closest one to me is now.

Oh how I know the feeling! The feeling was worst after having completed the 12-day Med cruise last June. I agree with the other posts that you need to book another cruise before you leave the ship. My family is fortunate to have been on all 4 ships and we enjoyed all of them. We even had the same server 3 times because of our request. We normally cruise 2 times a year and we are blessed to be able to do so despite living across the country in Washington state. That being said we may not be sailing next year though we do have one booked for August.

For a cure, I read this forum daily and visit the DCL websites to get myself excited and feeling at home. Notably, after having watched Frozen at my local theater 2 weeks ago , I actually felt that I was watching a Disney Premier on the ship. That gave me a satisfying feeling.

:eek::eek: WOW 12 days! It is my dream to go on one of their mediterranean cruises in the next few years!!! It's really hard to get enough time off work to do this, but it's in my long-term plan lol. Hopefully by then I will meet someone who also loves to cruise and I can share that experience with them.

As far as Frozen, I DID watch that while on the ship and it was an amazing experience for me--first time I've premiered a movie on the ship, and this was perfect with the beautiful music and special effects. It was actually shown in the Walt Disney Theater rather than the one that usually shows movies. I really loved that and am now trying to watch a Disney movie at home at least weekly just to bring back that feeling!:)

Thanks for the reply! You are fortunate to be able to cruise whenever!!

I am a newbie to these forums, and just wanted to share my sadness re the end of my much-anticipated cruise. I figured if anyone would understand, this group would.:)

Now imagine how you would feel knowing you may never be able to sail with Disney again!!! That's me! Unless Disney comes back to port of Gal or goes to New Orleans, we aren't going to sail disney again. (Dh won't agree to the additional expense of flying, plus additional cost that go along with that-extra days boarding, more time off of work, hotel, all that).

I have never sailed until our Dream cruise a few weeks ago. Since we started with Disney I don't know if we can "downgrade" onto another cruise line. I can say to help me ease the transition from the ship we did purchase our second cruise while still on the ship. Like OP our cruise isn't until next fall so we have a long wait.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk