empress of the seas

We did a 7-day cruise on it when it was the Nordic Empress (Dec 2003) to Grand Cayman, Belize & Cozumel and it was great. Take special notice that this is not one of the megaships and, if you are looking for it to be equal to the Grand Class, it can't be. We sailed again on it as the Empress of the Seas April 2005 but this time it was an 11-day, 10-island cruise where we were extremely busy. Our group loved it, even the couple who have never been on a ship smaller than 70,000 tons. The Empress sort of takes you back to the older days of cruising but, at the same time, is very modern. The inside cabins are small. If you book an inside, have the beds made up as twins instead of a queen; it gives you more room. Some very good, if not the best outside rooms are 8000, 8002, 8004, 8500, 8502 & 8504. The Empress doesn't have rooms with balconies but the hallways at these rooms exit onto a balcony just below the bridge giving you a almost private balcony. Most passengers will not even know it's there.

Service was excellent, food was also.

I wouldn't have any problems going back on the Empress again but I'm not hung up on the big ships. We've done most sizes from 16,000 to 142,000 tons and each has it's own merits.

We sailed Empress 9/04 to Bermuda and had a wonderful time. Great service. Food was fine. Only negative issue was the size of the cabins. It would be impossible for me to ever book an inside cabin on that ship.

Hi. I'm New To The Boards. Me And My Hubby Went On The Empress On 5/22/05. It Was Ok For My First Cruise But I Must Admid It Was Small And We Did Get A Tad Bit Restless On At Sea Days. It Is A Good Value Because It Is An Older Ship. 6/02/06 We'll Be Going On Explorer From Nj Cruise Port.

I sailed on Empress and Voyager within a month of each other and enjoyed both cruises for different reasons. If you want the ice skating and miniature golf, etc. go with the Voyager class ship. If you want a smaller ship with great service, that's easy to get around, go with Empress. I know other cruisers that wouldn't sail on a ship larger than Empress. It's all a matter of opinion and what you're looking for in your cruise experience.

If the sailing is a good deal and the itinerary suits you, then go! It will definitely be a different experience for you. I really would stay away from the inside cabins, tho'. It is nearly impossible for two people to be getting ready for dinner at one time. :) That said, we've also sailed the Grand Class on Princess and sailed the Empress when it was the Nordic Empress, and we liked both. The Empress was a pretty ship then, and I would imagine, with the refurbishing, that it is even nicer now.

I'll be on the Empress on September 3 to Key West and Grand Cayman for a 5-nighter. I was apprehensive also but I'd say 90% of the posts I've read on this site have eased all of my worries. I like to be catered to when on vacation and I hear the service is exceptional and very personal. We are really looking forward to this. This is only my second cruise, last year on Carnival Fascination, so anything on Royal Caribbean is going to be a step up. The price couldn't be beat for a 5-night cruise from what I researched. We are on an inside cabin but two guys don't need all that much space to get ready. Plus, we work out every morning and I hear the bathroom/shower area at the fitness center is much larger and we will do our morning showers there.

Enjoy your cruise and I'm at 6 weeks and counting!!!!!

We got off the Empress about 2 weeks ago....LOVE that ship!! We were in an inside cabin, deck 3, and it was just fine......DH rested on the bed reading or watching TV while I got ready, and I did the same while he was getting ready...not a problem....we weren't in the room that much anyway - would MUCH rather be out on deck, or eating, or out on deck AND eating, or in the spa, or....or......wish I was onboard again!! The Empress, though small, is a great ship - the staff are wonderful - friendly, without being intrusive, the food was very good, and it's easy to navigate. There were plenty of deck chairs....

Michele

i was on the Empress in April and she DOES have balconies. only a few in the Junior Suites. i had an obstructed view on deck 7 between 2 lifeboats. if you pick carefully like i did (7046) you'll have a view straight out to the ocean between the back of 1 lifeboat and the front of another. the ship was GREAT, wide teak full promenade made it for me. everything else modern and up to date, nicely decorated with sitting areas in front of glass at each rear stair landing. enjoy! :D

Some very good, if not the best outside rooms are 8000, 8002, 8004, 8500, 8502 & 8504. The Empress doesn't have rooms with balconies but the hallways at these rooms exit onto a balcony just below the bridge giving you a almost private balcony. Most passengers will not even know it's there.

I just noticed that RCL show these cabins as having obstructed views - Were they fully obstructed? Any recommendations?

I finally got our TA and she was able to change our cabin from 8126 (in the middle) to 8000 up front next to the small outside deck. After your recommendation I checked with my boss and his wife Judy as they were on the Empress last Jan and she agreed with you - by all means try and get one since we couldn't get a balcony. She was on 7 but used that little deck often and in fact a fellow passenger asked Judy if it was a private deck and Judy jokenly said yes. But then fessed up. Judy said not too many people are even aware it is there except when leaving port - so I plan on having my morning coffee out there. Thanks again.

Archived