Geocaching on port stops...

pbfp2008

I try to find a cache at every port I go to. It's a great way to discover interesting areas of the ports! I've cached in the Bahamas, Key West, Cozumel, Catalina, Ensenada, etc.

Make sure to download the caches to your gps or iphone before you leave - you don't want to incur data charges at the ports (if you're using the iphone app).

Have fun! :)

Never got into the Geo thing, however it looks like something I would enjoy. Don't know much about it, just know it is something to do with a GPS and finding something someone else left......something like that, right?

People leave containers, or "caches," in different locations and then download those coordinates to geocaching websites. You then use a GPS to locate those caches by the coordinates and hints provided.

The caches can range in size from large (such as a gallon sized container) to nano (something the size of your fingertip.) They can also be easy or difficult to find depending on the area and terrain. Often, there are samll trinkets in them that you can take and leave something, but generally always a log where you document that you found it.

It's a great way for my son and I to spend time together and plenty of exercise...and quite fun.

I try to find a cache at every port I go to. It's a great way to discover interesting areas of the ports! I've cached in the Bahamas, Key West, Cozumel, Catalina, Ensenada, etc.

Make sure to download the caches to your gps or iphone before you leave - you don't want to incur data charges at the ports (if you're using the iphone app).

Have fun! :)

Great teminder to download before leaving the US....thanks.

There are a good bunch of caches on Half Moon Cay. We've also cached Nassau, Playa Del Carmen, Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Key West, and of course near the US cruise embarkation ports. :D

Don't forget to bring a writing instrument too!

Edited by The4Cruisers

I'm curious about this too! We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, and Grand Cayman and I have a few marked in Roatan and GC I'd like to get. Doubt we'll be able to get any in Cozumel or Belize because of our excursions but we definitely want to try in the other ports. Have a few marked in Miami the day we fly in too.

EDIT: I take that back! Just checked Cozumel and Belize and there's a virtual in Playa del Carmen we can get as part of our excursion and there's one at the Xunantunich ruins in Belize. Shall we attempt a cache in all ports?!

Edited by iheartmarshall

I know people do geocaching while in port. We had a gentleman who was doing geocaching during one of our excursions. He kept disappearing, and we had to keep trying to locate him. :rolleyes:

My sister & her husband are avid geocachers. They've turned me into a mobile cache. I try to chat up people onboard and find out if they do geocaching, and then tell them "I have a geocoin, would they like to discover it?"

So far I've only had one hit out of 3 encounters. ;)

We cached on our last cruise a few years ago and plan on doing it again on a few islands this time. Some ports we rent cars, others we just do right off the ship, all depends on which island it is. Barbados so far was one of the nicest places I have found to cache. My husband likes photography as well and we found so many neat places caching for both pictures and to explore. We have 2 younger kids with us so we normally don't do any of the higher terrain ones or too hard of difficulty ones. Have fun!

DH and I are just beginning and a friend uses his phone but I have the most minimal data pkg on mine, for emergencies only.

We tried to use our old Tom Tom but was not successful. We have multiple caches near our home and are practicing with a small handheld Garmin.

How does your phone work without eating into your data? I can't seem to get the same answer twice.

I think it is a great idea to add to our walks.

I do appreciate your comments and advise on how the phone works. I like geocache.com