please help my dear wife is driving me nuts

77westhill

I doubt we could fit those same clothes in those number of sutcases. I am 6"5" tall and my wife is 5"9" tall. You must be petite.

Hubby is 5'10" and I am 5'8". We try to travel lighter and do laundry as I mentioned. My sister and BIL went with us for just the cruise on our first trip to AK and they took two 29" suitcases, plus two 22" carry ons. :eek: They were only traveling for 10 days. Everyone is different when it comes to packing. You have to do what works for you. We just don't like lugging around so much. I have read of people going to Alaska with just a carry on. (Not many, but they are out there) My son and DIL went to Europe for 10 days with just a carryon each. I don't think I could do that, but we have learned to trim down our packing over the years.

As for mosquito nets, we took them because we had plans to hike around Wonder Lakei in Denali. The mosquitos are INTENSE around Wonder Lake. However, due to me not feeling well and deciding to go later in the day on our shuttle bus, we did not go ahead with our hiking plans and therefore had no need for the mosquito nets. In 2008, the only place we encountered mosquitos was the Wonder Lake area of Denali. In 2011 we did the HAL 14 day itinerary, and did not encounter any mosquitos.

The last few years though, I have been reading more and more reports of mosquitos in AK. The nets don't take up much room, so just put them in your backpack. If you need them you will have them. Like the other poster said, I doubt you will need them for your planned activities, but if you do, you are ready. :D

Edited by vbmom87

Take half the amount of clothes you think you need but twice the amount of money! :D

Trudy

Haha! Love this advice. I plan on packing half my bag space or buy another bag to bring stuff back with me. I love travelling light.

Hubby is 5'10" and I am 5'8". We try to travel lighter and do laundry as I mentioned. My sister and BIL went with us for just the cruise on our first trip to AK and they took two 29" suitcases, plus two 22" carry ons. :eek:

I did a 14 day river cruise in Russia several years ago. I brought (2) 26" suitcases - it was in May, early in the season. I was known as the girl who brought a lot of luggage and teased the entire time! :) Oh well! I was probably the only one who didn't have to do laundry on the trip. Every one else brought one suitcase.

WE are going to alaska July 3-17 2014 my dear wife is going crazy does she need boots,should she pack for winter weather of 40 below, does she need heavy heavy sweaters and when we go ontours how heavy should her layers be and what can she store them if she gets hot. We are both senior citizens.

Thank you

I intended to only take tennis shoes on our April 28 Alaska cruise but found some New Balance waterproof light weight boots that are lighter than my tennis shoes and are lined. With jeans they look like tennis shoes but have vibram bottoms. Very comfy. Am taking tennis shoes too of course.