Panama Canal Excursions - FLL RT, December 7-18, 2013, Coral Princess

TrnrMom

Go into it with the right expectations and you will be fine. Throw a bottle of water and a granola bar in a day pack just in case. Bring a book for the slower parts and sunscreen and maybe a small battery fan. Try to go offseason (I assume you already booked)- we went in October and the small boat was not crowded. Finally, take opportunities when they come. On our trip, the captain let about a dozen people up on to the bridge deck (of which I was one) and even let some of us 'drive' the boat (which was very interesting as he didn't speak a lot of english. And no pictures allowed (for obvious reasons). Another passenger asked the rope crew if he could help tie up the boat. They let him. (Obviously, safety and insurance regulations not the same there)

If you don't think its probable you will get back for a full transit, this excursion is still a good option, as long as you know what you are getting. I have to admit it was awesomely cool to be in the lock with at giant passenger ship looming behind us.

The following picture was taken from the bridge deck of the small boat..

DSC_0007-XL.jpg

Dang,

This really makes it tough. Our group really wants to experience the other locks. Taking the train excursion gets one to see them, but that experience is a bit lacking to us.

I wonder if we'll still roll the dice and stay with the small boat option? Could it improve over the next month or so? Especially with Princess hearing some comments? I guess I can try it and if it's not up to snuff, a visit to the Princess staff/and or a letter may be in store.

Thanks for the info by those that posted. Maybe others will chime in over the next few weeks with post December feed back.

We've done partial transit once, full transits many times, have seen the Embera Indians and have toured Panama City. We are on the Coral end of March for a partial. That very long shorex is definitely not an option. So what else can we do other than stay aboard?

Has anyone done the monkey cruise? We've been to Gamboa too. I think we've run out of options by cruising so much.

Edited by Pia1913

I'd have to research to figure out the exact date, but I think it was about November 10, and so it wasn't the high season yet.

Regrettably, we did not have any company in the locks at either lock, it would have been fun to be in there with other boats.

I agree, take the excursion if you really want to see the two Pacific locks, and would be disappointed with anything less. Bring sunscreen, bring an umbrella in case you are stuck in the sun. I have a carry bag with padding, people use them for carrying around their tablets, the padding keeps drinks cold forever, bring a couple of cold drinks to keep back in case the ships's supply runs short or warm. Don't drink them first. Bring a smile and stay determined to keep it on regardless.

Edited by Wehwalt

My DW and I are thinking of staying on during canal day and not taking one of the excursions. Does anyone know if MDR and/or pub lunch are available while in the canal?

Pub lunches are only usually on sea days. A canal day is not considered a sea day.

This excursion was to be my Christmas gift from my wife as we don't usually spend this kind of money of excursions.

With having not spent over 400 canadian dollars if I were to add another 500 we could get off Coral at the end of the cruise, walk across the building and check into Royal Princess for a week on her. That would even include the expenses for the change in airfare. Not a bad deal.

So our decision seems to be 8 to 9 hot humid hours on a little boat with many people and little shade and poor food OR an extra week immediately following this cruise but on Royal.

What do you think? I need to make the decision within a day or so.

Let's see - 10 days cruising vs. 17 days days cruising for $500 difference.

No decision for me - it would be the 17 days!

Add to that that this is the worst winter we've had in a very long time and it's a no-brainer!

Enjoy the Royal.

Edited by chamima

Why not book the Sanctuary for the day and relax on board ship? With the private pool back there, it looked awesome and assuming we make 3 canal trips its what we would do on the third (Embera indians next time if an option)

We've done partial transit once, full transits many times, have seen the Embera Indians and have toured Panama City. We are on the Coral end of March for a partial. That very long shorex is definitely not an option. So what else can we do other than stay aboard?

Has anyone done the monkey cruise? We've been to Gamboa too. I think we've run out of options by cruising so much.

Why not book the Sanctuary for the day and relax on board ship? With the private pool back there, it looked awesome and assuming we make 3 canal trips its what we would do on the third (Embera indians next time if an option)

Staying on ship usually wins; sanctuary not my style. Living in Florida, pool is not a consideration. When we had one of our own we didn't use it. I'm thinking maybe the aerial tram.

Well there is the food service, binoculars on loan and other features as well..

Staying on ship usually wins; sanctuary not my style. Living in Florida, pool is not a consideration. When we had one of our own we didn't use it. I'm thinking maybe the aerial tram.

Go into it with the right expectations and you will be fine. Throw a bottle of water and a granola bar in a day pack just in case. Bring a book for the slower parts and sunscreen and maybe a small battery fan. Try to go offseason (I assume you already booked)- we went in October and the small boat was not crowded. Finally, take opportunities when they come. On our trip, the captain let about a dozen people up on to the bridge deck (of which I was one) and even let some of us 'drive' the boat (which was very interesting as he didn't speak a lot of english. And no pictures allowed (for obvious reasons). Another passenger asked the rope crew if he could help tie up the boat. They let him. (Obviously, safety and insurance regulations not the same there)

If you don't think its probable you will get back for a full transit, this excursion is still a good option, as long as you know what you are getting. I have to admit it was awesomely cool to be in the lock with at giant passenger ship looming behind us.

The following picture was taken from the bridge deck of the small boat..

DSC_0007-XL.jpg

When I first read this thread i was ready to cancel our excursion but decided to wait a bit. We're not sure when or if we'll make it back so have decided to stay with the excursion and do what many of you have suggested, go prepared with extra water, granola bars etc.

Your picture was an added bonus! Looking forward to making it to the Pacific.

Here is a link to my husband's photo gallery. If you click to page 6, frame 108 is a 3.5 minute video of our trip from Lake Gatun through the Pedro Miguel & Miraflores Locks. We had to wait for a small ship to share the lock with us, which was part of the delay. The video is slow in loading....I also have not had time to caption everything, but that is coming.http://roamingbears.smugmug.com/WanderingBears/Panama-Canal-Cruise-122013/Panama-Canal

It is likely that the seaworthiness of the ferry will not be resolved by your cruise. However, it is also likely that your excursion will be shorter than ours which was unusually long (10:40AM to 8:30 PM). I would ask LOTS of questions of the excursion desk folks - David Gregory is the manager on the Coral. If you go, go with eyes open as to the conditions, and be prepared. Its not for everyone.

Regular cruisers are likely used to the sales pitches & marketing on board & have learned to tune them out. However, we were surprised to be told that "this excursion is running late, so the crafts on board are your only chance to shop", and "for $10 you can come to the bridge & have a photograph taken with the captain", and "we're having a sale for the next 20 minutes". To add insult to injury, it was also announced that there would be a tip box at the end of the gangplank for the crew "for getting you back safely".

Have a great cruise & let us all know how it was!

Here is a link to my husband's photo gallery. If you click to page 6, frame 108 is a 3.5 minute video of our trip from Lake Gatun through the Pedro Miguel & Miraflores Locks. We had to wait for a small ship to share the lock with us, which was part of the delay. The video is slow in loading....I also have not had time to caption everything, but that is coming.http://roamingbears.smugmug.com/WanderingBears/Panama-Canal-Cruise-122013/Panama-Canal

It is likely that the seaworthiness of the ferry will not be resolved by your cruise. However, it is also likely that your excursion will be shorter than ours which was unusually long (10:40AM to 8:30 PM). I would ask LOTS of questions of the excursion desk folks - David Gregory is the manager on the Coral. If you go, go with eyes open as to the conditions, and be prepared. Its not for everyone.

Regular cruisers are likely used to the sales pitches & marketing on board & have learned to tune them out. However, we were surprised to be told that "this excursion is running late, so the crafts on board are your only chance to shop", and "for $10 you can come to the bridge & have a photograph taken with the captain", and "we're having a sale for the next 20 minutes". To add insult to injury, it was also announced that there would be a tip box at the end of the gangplank for the crew "for getting you back safely".

Have a great cruise & let us all know how it was!

I don't remember that. Possibly they're under new management. We did have tip jars extended both at Gamboa and at Fuerte Amador. There were no crafts on board, and even though we passed not far from that huge mall on the old airbase, no shopping.

Here are a couple more:

This is the view forward from the bridge of the ferry...

Panama2011Card4-6-S.jpg

You do get close to the walls:

Panama%20Card%2010-562-S.jpg

If you want to see all the pictures from the trip (it was one of my favorite cruises ever):

When I first read this thread i was ready to cancel our excursion but decided to wait a bit. We're not sure when or if we'll make it back so have decided to stay with the excursion and do what many of you have suggested, go prepared with extra water, granola bars etc.

Your picture was an added bonus! Looking forward to making it to the Pacific.

Found some information on boat tours for the Panama Canal - read these reviews. They are very mixed: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298428-d1029113-r104485228-Colon_and_Panama_Canal_Tour-Colon_Colon_Province.html

And here's the website for the company that provided the ferry - there are apparently better vessels available, both from them and another company: http://www.canalandbaytours.com/eng/fantasia-del-mar.php

I recommend double checking, which company and which vessel you will be on per the tripadvisor reviews.

Edited by TrnrMom

You won't know in advance. When we did it they just loaded ferries as people arrived, as soon as one was full it left and the next one came in. You weren't assigned to one, just depended when you arrived.

Found some information on boat tours for the Panama Canal - read these reviews. They are very mixed: http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g298428-d1029113-r104485228-Colon_and_Panama_Canal_Tour-Colon_Colon_Province.html

And here's the website for the company that provided the ferry - there are apparently better vessels available, both from them and another company: http://www.canalandbaytours.com/eng/fantasia-del-mar.php

I recommend double checking, which company and which vessel you will be on per the tripadvisor reviews.

Note that these Trip Advisor ratings are for various tours, not just the partial panal canal cruise. Some of the complaints have nothing to do with this excursion, and almost all of the posters booked this from their hotel in Panama.

I will be on the January 19 cruise RT Fort Lauderdale. The main reason I booked this cruise was to see the Panama Canal. We booked the excursion being described here. I read Princess' description and it seemed like I could handle this. I am now having second thoughts. I have cardiac issues and mobility issues. I carry nitro with me. I cannot stay in a hot humid area for a prolonged length of time. I cannot walk up many stairs. I believe the ship's review said this would not be an issue. However, I am getting a different opinion reading these reviews. So I guess I have the following basic questions and would greatly appreciate answers.

1. If I do not go on this excursion, will I still be able to see the Panama Canal, at least parts of it?

2. Is there any fast walking? I cannot walk fast and sometimes use a rolling walker. I am able to walk short distances without it.

3. Are the rest rooms handicap accessible?

4. Will I be able to sit in an air conditioned area if the humidity is too much for me?

5. Will I be able to sit in a shaded area if sitting outdoors?

This is not a cheap excursion. I feel that I should be able to have a seat in a shaded area. I really do not want to cancel this excursion reservation but am having second thoughts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I will be on the January 19 cruise RT Fort Lauderdale. The main reason I booked this cruise was to see the Panama Canal. We booked the excursion being described here. I read Princess' description and it seemed like I could handle this. I am now having second thoughts. I have cardiac issues and mobility issues. I carry nitro with me. I cannot stay in a hot humid area for a prolonged length of time. I cannot walk up many stairs. I believe the ship's review said this would not be an issue. However, I am getting a different opinion reading these reviews. So I guess I have the following basic questions and would greatly appreciate answers.

1. If I do not go on this excursion, will I still be able to see the Panama Canal, at least parts of it?

2. Is there any fast walking? I cannot walk fast and sometimes use a rolling walker. I am able to walk short distances without it.

3. Are the rest rooms handicap accessible?

4. Will I be able to sit in an air conditioned area if the humidity is too much for me?

5. Will I be able to sit in a shaded area if sitting outdoors?

This is not a cheap excursion. I feel that I should be able to have a seat in a shaded area. I really do not want to cancel this excursion reservation but am having second thoughts. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

I think you need to read the information and note what is NOT written. A/C is only mentioned on the transport buses, so therefore I would not expect it anywhere else.

This is Panama; always always HOT HOT HOT. And humid. And for handicap accessible restrooms, I wouldn't expect any of those either. Take your own TP; you always need to be prepared.

Princess doesn't included everything in their descriptors, especially things that might not allow you to book. Ask a lot of questions before you go.

See below:

1. If I do not go on this excursion, will I still be able to see the Panama Canal, at least parts of it? - You will see the Gatun Locks in operation as you go through them in the morning. If you stay on them you will go out the same locks. You will not see the Galliard cut or the Miraflores locks if you stay on the ship.

2. Is there any fast walking? I cannot walk fast and sometimes use a rolling walker. I am able to walk short distances without it. - Not really. Just from tender to bus, bus to boat and boat to bus, bus to ship.

3. Are the rest rooms handicap accessible? - No guarantees. It depends on the ferry you may get.

4. Will I be able to sit in an air conditioned area if the humidity is too much for me? - Again, no guarantees. The ship we are on did not have any ac areas with seating. Only the food service area such as it was had AC. Everything else was outside.

5. Will I be able to sit in a shaded area if sitting outdoors? - Probably. There was lots of shade on the lower decks.

Exactly my thoughts and the main reason for us canceling our excursion. I wanted to see the whole canal but, in the end, I thought I would be happier seeing only the Atlantic side in comfort and pleasure rather than the whole thing in conditions such as are suggested here.

Good Luck with your decision.

If I do not go on this excursion, will I still be able to see the Panama Canal, at least parts of it?

Princess has a different excursion that takes you by air-conditioned bus to Panama City and back, with a stop at the overlook for the locks on the Pacific side. I don't know whether that fits you desire to see "at least parts" of the canal, but it should fit your physical needs better.

My advice is to get up early and get a seat in the front of the buffet to watch entering the locks in air-conditioned comfort while eating breakfast or just sipping coffee or tea.

Then later in the day stroll to the back of the ship to see it from a different angle.

We've done this twice (once a full transit and once the half) and you can see plenty from the ship.

If we were to do it a third time I would get a balcony cabin on Emerald deck near the aft so I could sit on my own balcony and physically experience the ship going up and down in relationship to the sides of the lock walls.

• 3 weeks later...

TrnrMom....I wanted to tell you that I really appreciated your post and all the information you listed. We are going on this cruise in 19 days and this is our 1st cruise so trying to decide what to do has been a bit overwhelming. I was wondering if you had any contact information for the tours that you took that weren't through the ship. I will also contact you via email but thought I would ask here in case someone else was interested as well.

Our great debate right now is to stay on the ship or get off the ship!! My husband wants to see the experience the ship somewhat but we also don't want to miss out on what's on shore...especially after reading that we might just be sitting in Gatun Lake for awhile. We are currently booked for Rainforest & Gatun Lake and Locks Cruise so I'm not sure if this is the same type of thing you are talking about or if this is altogether a difference excursion. I think its different from what I can gather. So I'm guessing the debate will continue unless I read something that sways me one way or the other.

Thank you to everyone contributing to this thread as it has been most helpful and I plan on looking up some of the places mentioned in the original thread as a way to do excursions rather than the ship ones :)

Since there's been a few questions regarding excursions on Panama Canal itineraries, I thought it would be useful to summarize what we did in one post, instead of embedding them in a traditional trip report (which will follow).

We used the Roll Call to join and set up independent excursions in all the ports, except for canal crossing day. We were overwhelmingly pleased with the independent excursions, and very underwhelmed with the ship offered canal transit by ferry. More on that later.

Aruba - this was our first port stop, and also our first visit. Since we aren't big beach people, we took the advice of another poster and contacted Sonny Binns for an island tour. He got right back to us, and let us know he was available for a morning or afternoon tour, minimum persons required was six (for a 24 passenger minibus), no prepayment required. Itinerary included a drive through Oranjestad, north past an industrial area. Sonny told us about Aruba economics, climate, a little language, cost of gas, languages, geography, politics and more as we rode along. We stopped at the rock formations (name fails me), California light house, drove past Palm Beach, stopped at the natural bridges, and the Little Chapel, essentially driving around the island. We all agreed that it was a great tour of about 3 hours, leaving us time to do a little shopping. Tip - free wifi is at Starbucks on the bottom floor of the mall associated with the Casino at the north end of the Main Street.

Cartegena - one of our party contacted Marelvy Pena Hall through her website. She met us at the end of the dock with the minibus, parasol aloft. This tour exceeded expectations and busted any preconceived notions we had about Columbia. Our tour included a city tour, driving though the Manga district which is closest to the dock area. We then toured the cathedral which looks down on the whole city, including the fort and old town. We then went to the fort, but did not climb the hill to enter it. This is by Marelvy's choice since she feels her tour would leave other historic things out, if she spent time in the fort. We did walk the front of the fort as she discussed aspects of its history. The vendors her are particularly aggressive. We then drove to the Old Town, and did a walking tour there which included a tour of the Museo del Oro Zuni, before finishing with a stop at a shopping area. The organizer of our group found Marelvy easy to work with, responding quickly and able to accommodate a few requests we had. No deposit was required, and we all paid in cash at the end of the tour. She also gifted us each with a poster designed by her husband to celebrate the centennial of the city.

Next up on our itinerary was the Panama Canal transit. Princess requires passengers to use their excursions, perhaps with good reason. The infrastructure, distances and logistics are such that getting back to the ship on time can be an iffy proposition. We chose the Panama Canal transit by ferry since we wanted to go through to the Pacific and see the difference in the locks and the geographic challenges involved with the Pacific locks. For some, if you've seen one lock, you've seen them all.

That said, consider carefully your reasons for doing this excursion. Panama by definition is hot, humid and the ferry does not have the same priority going though the canal so your excursion might be lengthy. For various reasons ours was - we left the ship about 10:40AM and returned close to 8:30 PM.

This excursion was simply not up to Princess' standards, even allowing for the the above. The Fantasia del Mar listed to the port the whole trip. It seemed there were too many passengers for the capacity, since some people were forced to sit outside in the sun unshaded most of the time. The air conditioning units, PA system and lighting did not work or did so only sporadically or poorly. The fire extinguishers were rusted and the bathroom doors did not all work.

Food was provided but there was not enough of it and was pretty basic - ham & velveeta on wonder bread, small chicken kabobs, banana muffins, fruit. This problem sounds like whining, but it is what it is. Once lunch was over, there was no food available, which could have been problematic for the diabetics on board. In short, you will be "roughing" it on this excursion, so be prepared. There was water, soda and beer (local, for sale).

When we expressed our disappointment to Princess (in a letter signed by ten of us) regarding the safety issues and the quality of the excursion, they did respond promptly, and we were refunded half the cost of the excursion. We were satisfied but hope that headquarters will investigate the issues we brought up. As one passenger (not with our group) asked, "when is the last time someone from Princess took this excursion"? We heard other excursions also had issues but I can't comment on what those were.

Limon - back to private tours. One of our group arranged for a private group with Mario's Greenway Tours. We selected the 6 in 1 tour since it seemed to maximize our time in Limon. We booked online, and were able to arrange a group discount due to our numbers. We were met at the end of the gangplank by our guide Jackie. Since it was raining we did not initially see the sign, but got sorted out quickly.

Jackie was amazingly informative, funny, and educated us as we went. We did a city drive, a wagon ride through a rain forest, with a short treetop walkway, a canal ride, a banana plantation, a coastal drive, before being dropped off for shopping in the "safe" port area. Although, maybe. I the best of Costa Rica, we all agreed this was probably the best tour we had had a a group.

Grand Cayman- last port stop before Fort Lauderdale. Acting on a CCr recommendation, we booked the 3 stop tour with Captain Marvin. It was great - Stingray City, a reef, and coral gardens. Booking was online and easy, as was finding the office. There were only 16 of us on a boat that could have handled much more. We were the only ones from Princess with the others being families and couples from huge Carnival ship. There were drinks on board, and a small bathroom. Also a photographer, but there was no obligation to purchase from him. Foggy was very helpful with advice on obtaining good shots. We thoroughly enjoyed our time with this outfit. One of the crew also brought up some conch shells, from which he removed the inhabitants, so that the shells could be taken back with us. Not sure how kosher this is, but we now have a great souvenir.

If you have any questions about the above,you can email me at jhchong (at) me (dot) com. Hope this helps! We had a great cruise and will write a trip report soon. The CCrs we met we great!