Items allowed to bring on board (starfish, conch shells, etc)

gritsnc

I noticed in pictures where the locals sell starfish and conch shells from their boats. Are you allowed to buy those and bring them on the ship? I thought it was illegal to bring things like that back, yet if it were, then why are they selling them?

I noticed in pictures where the locals sell starfish and conch shells from their boats. Are you allowed to buy those and bring them on the ship? I thought it was illegal to bring things like that back, yet if it were, then why are they selling them?

Ā 

I doubt the locals are concerned with whether or not you can get an item on the ship. You pay them and they have your money in hand and could probably care less if you get to keep it. If you have a specific item in mind I would research the boards for reports from others who have tried to board with that item.

• 3 weeks later...

I did see customs stop a couple from bringing home a jar of pink sand from bermuda. They carried it in thier hands. I'm thinking if customs did not see it the couple could have gotten it thru. Hint hint.

Ā 

Jim

I brought a conch shell we found while kayaking in Freeport back on the ship. I can't remember if I was holding it or if I put it in my backpack. Didn't think about it being illegal. Got it sitting on a counter in my house.

Ā 

Me too. Is it illegal to take them just from the sea?

• 1 month later...

I have found conch shells on the beach and I have brought them home with no problem. Just make sure nothing is still living in the shell. I have also brought home sand and shells that I have found on the beach as well. They are more concerned that you don't bring live animals or things that have seeds so as not to cause havoc on nature. Don't know all the exact words to say it but it is like people bring home baby gators and when they get big, they release them and now the food chain will be thrown off if you live in an area where there are usually no gators. Hope that helps.

I found a teeny-tiny little hermit crab on Coco Cay. He was cute - bet I could've easily snuck him home if I wanted to ;)

Ā 

I say go for it, but don't be surprised if it gets confiscated at the airport. And even if it DOES, the worst they're going to do is take it from you. It's not like you're going to be put on the 'do-not-fly' list for it.

I don't think it is illegal to take home shells etc as long as they are not live. If you get a conch shell I would recommend soaking it in bleach when you get home to get rid of sea scum and bacteria. We got one on a snorkeling tour we went to in Freeport. Took it back on ship in bag with beach towel and home in a carry on and had no problems.

My 10-year-old great-niece carried a conch onto the ship....in plain sight...with no problems. She packed it in her carry-on and was stopped by the screener at the airport - I warned her ahead of time that it may confiscated. The guy was really nice, said he just had to check it, took her with him while he swabbed it, explained what they were looking for...and then showed her the correct way to pack it in her carry-on so it wouldn't get damaged on the flight home! šŸš

Ā 

I can't speak about starfish, but conch is definitely OK at LGA!! :D