Review of the Jade (Western Med) 11/16-11/27

gbntmom

Congrats on your upcoming cruise. It will be a fabulous time! Novemeber weather can be cool (heavier sweater or light jacket) but with no crowds ~ a fine trade off for me

There are 2 "Dress up or not" nights. With such a port intensive cruise, many people were dressed casually for dinner. We ate in both dining rooms and my Dad was in long pants (either jeans or dockers) and a long sleeve shirt or sweater. I wore pants or jeans with long sleeved shirts or sweaters. We never felt out of place or were we turned away. It seemed that way more people were casual than dressed up. Personally, I would leave the fancy clothes home and pack more casual layers.

Have a great time planning your tours. There are lots of great guides out there!

Janet

Thank you! That is exactly what we are doing, leaving the fancy stuff home this time.

Thanks again for all your great information!

Debbie

Thank you very much for all the wonderful photos and stories. I very much enjoyed it.

I am looking at possibly booking this itinerary on the Jade next year (2015.) for my brother Mike and myself. (It's a surprise for him).

I especially loved all your port stories. Just wanted to thank you for all the wonderful photos. I have been to these ports before but is so nice to see them through a nother person's "eyes". I enjoyed seeing them through yours. You have a poetic way with your camera.

All my best wishes,

artist

• 1 month later...
Hello, everyone. I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself - I'm Janet, a daughter, a wife, and a mother to 4, who enjoys adventures! I am a travel planner (to the dismay of my family) who enjoys the planning part just as much as the traveling part. This is my first time posting a review - it will be part story, part planning, part pictures and always adventures! I'm happy to answer any questions you have (if I know the answer!)

My husband of 20 years has been encouraging me to go on a vacation with some friends (as he gets to travel for business & pleasure several times a year without me.). Of course, finding other "mom" friends who could take time away from their families is like finding a needle in a haystack, so I took a different approach. You see, my Dad, is a man who has everything he needs (and even some that he doesn't!). We never know what to buy him for the holidays, his birthday, etc. As I was poking around trying to find something that interested me, I found a great fare on the NCL Jade for the Western Med. right before Thanksgiving. My husband & I figured that this would be a great "everything" gift for my Dad, plus give me a traveling partner. And, the icing on the cake was that we would be back for Thanksgiving (which Dad was due to spend with us anyways!).

So... my planning began. I booked directly with NCL for an inside cabin back in June. I quickly jumped on board here - both for help & information and to join in our Roll Call. My plan was to do all independent tours in our ports of call and find others to share the costs (and fun!). To say that the planning of this adventure was easy is not true, but it was certainly worth every minute I put into it. The friends who I made from our Roll Call made my trip all the better.

So, if you're still with me, let's get started in Rome! :)

Janet,

In a few days, WE, the April 12th Western Med. sailing of the NCL Jade, will be shoving off.

Last night I re-read your(this) thread to see if I missed anything.

Once again, THANK YOU for all your time, skill and effort in creating such a great review !

With much appreciation,

Michael

Janet,

In a few days, WE, the April 12th Western Med. sailing of the NCL Jade, will be shoving off.

Last night I re-read your(this) thread to see if I missed anything.

Once again, THANK YOU for all your time, skill and effort in creating such a great review !

With much appreciation,

Michael

Have a fantastic cruise! Can't wait to read your review once you get back! Bon Voyage!

Janet

Thank you very much for all the wonderful photos and stories. I very much enjoyed it.

I am looking at possibly booking this itinerary on the Jade next year (2015.) for my brother Mike and myself. (It's a surprise for him).

I especially loved all your port stories. Just wanted to thank you for all the wonderful photos. I have been to these ports before but is so nice to see them through a nother person's "eyes". I enjoyed seeing them through yours. You have a poetic way with your camera.

All my best wishes,

artist

Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm so glad that others can enjoy. I, too, enjoy traveling vicariously through others' reviews as well.

Best of luck in planning your next excursion!

Janet

Hi Janet,

I absolutely loved your trip review, so vivid! My question, if it's not too personal... how old was your dad for this cruise? Hubby and I are looking to a close equivelant on the Jade in Mar 2015 and I was wondering if it would be feasible to take my mom... she'd be 76, and she's in good health. I wonder if the go-go-go of the daily adventures would be too much for her. If you have any opinions on this, I'd be grateful. Thanks, Tamara in Colorado

Hi Janet,

I absolutely loved your trip review, so vivid! My question, if it's not too personal... how old was your dad for this cruise? Hubby and I are looking to a close equivelant on the Jade in Mar 2015 and I was wondering if it would be feasible to take my mom... she'd be 76, and she's in good health. I wonder if the go-go-go of the daily adventures would be too much for her. If you have any opinions on this, I'd be grateful. Thanks, Tamara in Colorado

Tamara -

Not too personal at all. My Dad was 73 at the time of the cruise. He's in good health and pretty active. Not to say that I didn't wear him out ~ he enjoyed his "siestas" when he could, even on buses between stops on excursions. Also, he's not a "night owl" by any means, so for him it was back to the cabin & getting ready for bed after the second show of the evening. He had a great time meeting people and seeing the sights. Our relationship is pretty comfortable, so if he was getting tired/crabby, we would separate for a while, then regroup.

Hope your Mom has a great time! She can definitely do it at her own pace!

Janet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Great info!! Thank you so much for posting. Jade details seem to be few and far between. We are booked for Feb. 2015 and I can't wait! I do have a question for you....did the rooms have both 110 and 220 plug outlets? I plan to bring a power strip, but want to make sure my 220 hair dryer has a place to plug in. We live in Europe, but I know the ship was originally built for Hawaii. Thanks!!

Great info!! Thank you so much for posting. Jade details seem to be few and far between. We are booked for Feb. 2015 and I can't wait! I do have a question for you....did the rooms have both 110 and 220 plug outlets? I plan to bring a power strip, but want to make sure my 220 hair dryer has a place to plug in. We live in Europe, but I know the ship was originally built for Hawaii. Thanks!!

Hi,

We have been on the Jade twice, most recently for 21 days in April/May. There is a hair dryer in the cabin, as well as several 110 outlets and at least one 220 outlet.

Hi,

We have been on the Jade twice, most recently for 21 days in April/May. There is a hair dryer in the cabin, as well as several 110 outlets and at least one 220 outlet.

Thanks! I should have added that I always bring my own dryer. My curls need a diffuser, or I look like a frizzy poodle! ;)

Hi- thanks for the great review.We are staying there this November after our cruise and they advertise that they run a shuttle from the hotel every hour into Rome and back. Is that the shuttle you used or did you catch one from the airport. Thanks for the info.

Terri

Hi- thanks for the great review.We are staying there this November after our cruise and they advertise that they run a shuttle from the hotel every hour into Rome and back. Is that the shuttle you used or did you catch one from the airport. Thanks for the info.

Terri

Terri -

I used Terravision (http://www.terravision.eu/?adwy=1). It was 4 euros per person each way which was less expensive than the hotel shuttle. I purchased tickets on line, which I then had to exchange for vouchers at the office. They were not strict at all about the times. Just know that the crowds for the buses can get large and no one lines (queues) up - it's just one big mob! That being said, it was a great, inexpensive way to get to Rome.

Granted, we had to take the hotel shuttle to the airport to catch the Terravision bus and again catch the hotel shuttle from the airport back to the hotel. Time was not a big deal for us, so the cost savings was advantageous. If time is an issue, perhaps the hotel shuttle would be better.

Hope this helps. Have a great trip!

Janet