First Costa Cruise

UpTheBanner

Hi, we have just booked the Costa Serena for June 2014 and have some questions.

The ship is departing Civitavecchia at 23:59. When do the check in desks close?

We booked a Classic Cabin, How is dining assigned?

Is Steak served in the complimentary restaurant(s)?

Are there a wide variety of food available like NCL and Royal Caribbean and how does the food compare in your opinion?

Will there be any entertainment in English?

Is the Muster Drill in English or Italian?

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to trying something different

I don't know.

Your dining room and time will be assigned by the cruise line (if you book a 'Premium' stateroom you get a choice).

Sometimes it's on the menu.

Are there a wide variety of food available like NCL and Royal Caribbean and how does the food compare in your opinion?

Food is very subjective. I have never been on NCL or RC; however, I have been on Princess & HAL. Costa has a wide variety of food available and the dining room fare is comparable to Princess & HAL with perhaps smaller portions (but you can order as many as you want). In my opinion, Costa's buffets are not comparable and definitely 'a step down' in quality and selection... with limited hours. Costa has better coffee in the buffets. I'm not a big fan of Costa's pizza... but some people love it. I have never tried any of Costa's specialty dining venues. Costa's 'All Inclusive' drink package is the best deal at sea and would 'pay' for most people... even it they don't drink alcohol.

Will there be any entertainment in English?

[/Quote]

Yes, but most likely very limited.

Is the Muster Drill in English or Italian?

Both, and French and Spanish and German...

I'd add that it's not a case of English or Italian but it's multi lingual. There will be 5 main languages (Italian, Spanish, French! German! English) but they cater for more. You'll have an English speaking host onboard to assist you. I've always had no issues speaking to any of the crew, all customer facing staff speak it to some extent.

Entertainment is often not language specific. Shows for example will be musical or visual, so all can enjoy - so no stand up comedians.

The biggest difference you may experience compared to other cruises is that you are more than likely to find yourself in a small minority as an English speaker. The mix of so many nationalities and therefore cultures and behaviours as well as languages, lead to a different onboard vibe. Some enjoy the feeling of being truly "abroad" whilst others don't cope so well with everything not being geared to the way things are done in heir home country. I enjoy Costa because I'm not surrounded by people from home and I get to practise speaking other languages.

We are looking at a flight that is arriving in to Ciampino airport at 14:45. We should be at the port any time around 16:00 to 17:00. This is the first cruise we will have taken with a late departure of 23:59. I want to make sure before i book this flight that the check in desks are open for us to board the ship. Many thanks for your replies.

We are looking at a flight that is arriving in to Ciampino airport at 14:45. We should be at the port any time around 16:00 to 17:00. This is the first cruise we will have taken with a late departure of 23:59. I want to make sure before i book this flight that the check in desks are open for us to board the ship. Many thanks for your replies.

I think you are being a bit ambitious in your estimate of travel time to the port, I would have thought after 17:00 was more likely.

You can normally check in up to an hour before sailing, but if I were you and to be safe! I'd contact Costa to confirm this.

It is assigned to you - early or late. We got early 7pm. You can ask to change in restaurant.

Generally no. But might be available one night. Other cow options possible eg Veal or roast beef, veal was excellent, beef a little fatty for me, but maybe I was unlucky in the serving?

Yes lots of choice. 7 courses, tiny portions IMO. My mum who is royal loyal said cuts of meat were superior in MDR on Royal BUT better in buffet on Costa. Food on costa tasted just as good and was always hot (Luminosa).

Will there be any entertainment in English? Unlikely. Tends to be multilingual, entertainment not costa strongpoint although lots of live music is nice,

Is the Muster Drill in English or Italian? Yes available with English rep

Thanks in advance. Looking forward to trying something different

See answers above...

• 3 weeks later...

Personally I don't think so, but I'm both a cheapskate and non-foodie. I have tried the Samsara on Serena, I'd suggest giving it a try to see if it suits you.

I'm on the Luminosa right now in the Caribbean. The menus are standard, but the portion sizes have been hugely increased for the American market, I'm having to cut what I normally order in half.

How did some of you enjoy the more casual food around the pool? Are there very many choices besides the buffet and dining rooms?

Never having been on any cruise apart from Norwegian, is the set up on Costa for dining with set places on set tables at set times?

I am trying to find any cruise line that compares with NCL as regards Freestyle Dining and easy dress down attire all the time. Any offers?

Never having been on any cruise apart from Norwegian, is the set up on Costa for dining with set places on set tables at set times?

I am trying to find any cruise line that compares with NCL as regards Freestyle Dining and easy dress down attire all the time. Any offers?

Yes, that's what we'd like too - no luck since we lost Ocean Village, though.

Personally I don't think so, but I'm both a cheapskate and non-foodie. I have tried the Samsara on Serena, I'd suggest giving it a try to see if it suits you.

I'm on the Luminosa right now in the Caribbean. The menus are standard, but the portion sizes have been hugely increased for the American market, I'm having to cut what I normally order in half.

Can someone tell me what the draught beer is on the Caribbean sailings? I've read it's Carlsberg normally but thought that it might be a US beer for American sailings. Also, what time is the pizzeria open til?