changes for Radisson alumni

jax

Although I stand to be corrected, I think Dreps is right. As long as you "own" that Platinum Card, your on-board credit should be honored no matter what card you use. I always charge it to my P card, but lately I have had to remind them of my credit (last two cruises) and it has been posted by the end of the cruise, so if you don't have an envelope with a letter in your cabin saying this is the case, check it out right away. They will correct it within a day, from my experience.

Do you or any others know if the ancillary benefits of using the P Amex are available for other cruise lines? Just curious. If yes, it might persuade me to invest in the P card. Thanks

I do not think Dan's information is quite correct. You must own a "real" AMX Platinum card ($395 per year) to obtain a credit, but you may charge the cruise on an alternative AMX card. It must be AMX.

Dreps, I stand corrected! I read the fine print on the benefits card, and you are right. The person making payment must have a Plat Amex to get the benefit, but may choose to pay with any other Amex card. 3 stateroom limit. I'm not sure why I'd want to pay with a different Amex (as large charges may be paid over time, if necessary - Sign and Travel) but interesting to see the loophole! Thanks!

Host Dan

For anything over a $15,000 charge the Costco Amex card which costs $0 and gives a 2% credit on all travel is a better deal!

Dwelsh, I couldn't find where this is only for charges OVER $15,000.?? It made it sound like any travel received a 2% rebate.?? I'd love to hear more about this card.

I know this discussion of frequent cruiser benefits will go on and on until the details are announced and then some. We (Fred and I) are in the minor leagues having only 37 days on Radisson ships. We aspire to many more and have 17 more days booked in 2006.

My fervent hope is that RSSC offers "us" frequent cruisers only COMPANY PAID benefits--free cabin upgrades, booking discounts, free laundry, free internet. All of this stuff the COMPANY pays for. I'll take any bennie the COMPANY offers.

But I fervently object to benefits offered to us at the expense of other passengers like, as has so often been suggested, priority reservations at the special restaurants. Those benefits cost RSSC NOTHING. They are offered at the expense of other passengers.

If pitting new passengers against return passengers is the new mode of operations, what will follow after priority restaurant reservations? Priority boarding the ship? Priority boarding the tender? Priority seating in the general restaurant? Think of that! Luxury suites seated first. Then Penthouse suites. Then deck 10. Etc. None of the above in this paragraph cost RSSC a dime unless you cost loss booking from people like me who don't want to cruise in an environment like this.

Patrick

Dwelsh, I couldn't find where this is only for charges OVER $15,000.?? It made it sound like any travel received a 2% rebate.?? I'd love to hear more about this card.

Petlover:

I was just comparing the $300 credit from the Paltinum AE Card to the rebate that you can earn from the free Costco AE Card. The 2% rebate is on ALL travel expenses.

The premium card is great if you travel a lot in that it does give free companion tickets for business or first I believe.

I know this discussion of frequent cruiser benefits will go on and on until the details are announced and then some. We (Fred and I) are in the minor leagues having only 37 days on Radisson ships. We aspire to many more and have 17 more days booked in 2006.

My fervent hope is that RSSC offers "us" frequent cruisers only COMPANY PAID benefits--free cabin upgrades, booking discounts, free laundry, free internet. All of this stuff the COMPANY pays for. I'll take any bennie the COMPANY offers.

But I fervently object to benefits offered to us at the expense of other passengers like, as has so often been suggested, priority reservations at the special restaurants. Those benefits cost RSSC NOTHING. They are offered at the expense of other passengers.

If pitting new passengers against return passengers is the new mode of operations, what will follow after priority restaurant reservations? Priority boarding the ship? Priority boarding the tender? Priority seating in the general restaurant? Think of that! Luxury suites seated first. Then Penthouse suites. Then deck 10. Etc. None of the above in this paragraph cost RSSC a dime unless you cost loss booking from people like me who don't want to cruise in an environment like this.

Patrick

Patrick--

I couldn't agree more. We only have 24 days with RSSC but we are looking forward to adding to our total. Your description of benefits being offered at the expense of other passengers as opposed to benefits that the company pays for hits the nail on the head. I think frequent and loyal customers should be rewarded, but as you said, not at the expense of others. Thanks for putting it so clearly.

Jacki

Thank you Dwelsh. I would keep our AmEx Platinum card (the one that cost $295 per year) JUST to get shipboard credit because it more than pays for itself each year. Although we own the Platinum card, we never use it. Instead we use our Starwood AmEx card for 100% of all purchases (including Radisson cruises). I really like the idea of getting 2% cash rebate on ALL TRAVEL. This may be better than getting Starwood points (which we normally convert to f.f. miles with the 5,000 bonus).

Patrick, I agree with what you said about the perks. I think it would be a big mistake for RSSC to offer perks at the expense of other passengers such as preferred reservations etc. Let's hope that never comes to be!

For me, I wish they would keep it the way it is, straight 5% off on any booking for ANY repeat cruiser. I am not a veteran, even though I have over 100 nights, when I look at the number of nights it takes to make small incremental savings on SS and Crystal (and the number of nights so many others have) Who needs "laundry" when it does not include dry cleaning? We can do the former ourselves, but not the latter. To me, this is one more way other than increasing fares (which they are also doing) to make us think we are getting more $$$ savings when we are not. Thus, I have switched some of my planning toward land trips when comparing the pricing..

Radisson used to have far more 2-for one's as it does now. I stand to be corrected on that, but I seem to remember some group cruises with my TA that found a wide following because of great pricing. Yes, I know gas prices have gone up, and they have to make up for it. I think I may even have some fuel extras in the ones in my future.

• 2 months later...

Seems to me that Radisson either needs to 1) announce the details of the new Seven Seas Society program, or 2) edit their web site again to change the statment that "The enhanced Seven Seas Society program will be fully launched in the fall and will be in place for 2006." Yes, I know that technically fall doesn't end until Dec 21, but what the heck is delaying this? You'd think they could define the program, figure out the economic consequences, and post the details in something under the nearly-a-year that it has been. If I were cruising on Radisson in early 2006 (perhaps already paid-in-full at this point), I'd wonder what the process will be to claim the (rumored) benefits of cabin upgrades, etc. Certainly, if I found out that under the new program I was eligible for, say, a 1-class upgrade it would determine my strategy for what level I book (like going from G to F on Voyager is inconsequetial...going from D to C on Mariner is very worthwhile). I can't fathom (seems appropriate here!) why they don't seem to understand that this inexplicable delay is causing some heartburn amongst their core of loyal repeat cruisers!

Forget about upgrades. The cabins are all the same. The upgrades consist of higher decks, which, personally, mean nothing. Maybe the side to side sway is more pronounced, the higher the deck !!

The tiered program has been repeatedly described as including upgrades at some level of SSS "rank". The cabins are not all the same on any Radisson ship. You are correct that for many levels a 1-class upgrade means exactly the same cabin but what is to many a more desired loaction. However, as my post stated, going from D to C on Mariner (which we did in May by virtue of a bumped up guarentee) is very worthwhile.

I don't understand your post, at least in the context of the points I was making.

Returned from a trip to find a Thanksgiving card from Radisson that says "We are in the process of developing a cornucopia of benefits for our loyal past geusts and we look forward to sharing these with you over the upcoming months." Doesn't sound like it'll be soon.

It will be interesting to find out when this program is unveiled after the first of the year (or Spring?). I'm curious to know what formulas will actually constitute a "frequent RSSC cruiser"......total number of cruises? total number of nights? and what levels.....100 nights? 500 nights? 1000 nights? etc. I guess we'll just have to all sit tight until it's unveiled.

• 3 weeks later...

My travel agent sent me a copy of what was mailed to her. In small print, at the very end is where it says it is applicable for cruises departing after April 1. As a Silver member at 21-74 days among other things, it says complimentary internet access onboard!

Archived