Dairy Allergy

shops54

It won't kill me if I have a bit of butter or a bit of cream but cheese will put me in bed for a day. I'm sensitive to lactose, whey and casein and hope to find Dairy free creamer and Cool whip type substitutes and maybe some Almond milk ice cream. I know - yuck - right?? But now and then I crave the texture. I don't want to whine but just wondering if anyone has worked through this before on a ship? TIA.

We haven't gone on our cruise yet (leave on the 12th), but my boyfriend recently found out he also has a dairy allergy. I contacted our travel agent about it, and she notified RCCL. Apparently they can offer soy or lactose free milk, and will bring you the dinner options the night before (if you eat in the MDR) so that you can pick out your dinner for the next night, and they will ensure it is dairy free. Apparently in the buffet if you ask the staff manning the stations they should be able to tell you what is dairy-free vs what you should avoid.

Apart from the milk, I am not sure what other options they have. At the time, that was the only thing we were asked to specify a preference for. What class ship are you on? I'll be sailing on FOS, and could let you know what I find in terms of dairy-free options if you'd like. It will come up daily on our trip with DBF's new allergy.

It won't kill me if I have a bit of butter or a bit of cream but cheese will put me in bed for a day. I'm sensitive to lactose, whey and casein and hope to find Dairy free creamer and Cool whip type substitutes and maybe some Almond milk ice cream. I know - yuck - right?? But now and then I crave the texture. I don't want to whine but just wondering if anyone has worked through this before on a ship? TIA.

My DW also has a dairy allergy so we have been dealing with this for the past several years.

The previous poster pretty much got everything but I just wanted to add,

Unfortunately no dairy free ice cream on board. Also the sherbots all are made with dairy. The dessert that my wife really enjoys is the Pavlova. It is a baked merrangue that they cover with berries. It is normally offered only one night but we found that if you visit with the maitre d on the first day then they can easily make it for you every night and on our last cruise they even had it for the first night.

Definitely visit with the maitre d when you board.

We also found that RCI's version of dairy free for most of the meals in the MDR was just to omit the sauces from the entres leaving you with a bland meal. Make sure you get the head waiter to ensure that they make a dairy free sauce. It's quite easy. We normally take a list of things my wife can and can't have and give that to the waiter as well.

Different experiences as to how well the allergy has been handled on board from just OK to great. We found a lot of it depends on your head waiter.

So not a allergy then? (I had a daughter who was dairy allergic/ana and contact).

Both dairy free creamer and cool whip have dairy in them.

T

So not a allergy then? (I had a daughter who was dairy allergic/ana and contact).

Both dairy free creamer and cool whip have dairy in them.

T

Really uncalled for comment.

Just because the OP does not have as severe of a reaction as you daughter does not mean that it is not an allergy.

If her allergy is anything like my wife's it is the whey and casein proteins that she is allergic to and as they are found in different concentrations within many products the reactions can vary. In my wife's case it can vary from a mild rash and joint pain that can be treated with Benadryl to a severe rash and crippling joint pain that needs to be treated with steroids and painkillers.

Really uncalled for comment.

Just because the OP does not have as severe of a reaction as you daughter does not mean that it is not an allergy.

If her allergy is anything like my wife's it is the whey and casein proteins that she is allergic to and as they are found in different concentrations within many products the reactions can vary. In my wife's case it can vary from a mild rash and joint pain that can be treated with Benadryl to a severe rash and crippling joint pain that needs to be treated with steroids and painkillers.

Exactly right, Ourusualbeach! Thanks for coming to my support! It is the casein that seems to affect me the most and it is found in chocolates and all sorts of things. And whey is next. Once the whey is separated from the cream (as in butter), I don't react so badly. And sometimes I balance the pain with the delight of just a spoonful of DH's ice cream - knowing I can treat it with advil if it's not too much. The odd thing is I looked on the menus and they have a dairy icon to show things that are lactose free - they show that icon on things with cheese etc. Hmmm. I will for sure be asking about the pavlova - usually served with whipped cream - but you must have been able to order it without? Sounds perfect as most of the other desserts are so dairy-full. Thanks so much for your help. And thank you too - Lily. These are great suggestions.

Exactly right, Ourusualbeach! Thanks for coming to my support! It is the casein that seems to affect me the most and it is found in chocolates and all sorts of things. And whey is next. Once the whey is separated from the cream (as in butter), I don't react so badly. And sometimes I balance the pain with the delight of just a spoonful of DH's ice cream - knowing I can treat it with advil if it's not too much. The odd thing is I looked on the menus and they have a dairy icon to show things that are lactose free - they show that icon on things with cheese etc. Hmmm. I will for sure be asking about the pavlova - usually served with whipped cream - but you must have been able to order it without? Sounds perfect as most of the other desserts are so dairy-full. Thanks so much for your help. And thank you too - Lily. These are great suggestions.

My wife ends up on Celebrex for bad reactions but lately those have been few and far between.

Try dark chocolate as tere is no dairy in that. Also on board they use cocoa instead of real chocolate do some things are OK. The pavlova definitely comes without whipped cream. Desserts is always one of the hardest. On too many cruises their idea of dairy free dessert was a bowl of jello or fresh berries. Kind of boring night after night when others are eating all these decadent desserts.

Enjoy. We had a truly amazing dinner at Chops. The chef came out talked to my wife and came back and served her meal. He made her up 3 sauces. A Demi glaze for the meat, truffle oil (he went to Portofinos to get it) for her vegetables and a garlic infused oil for potatoes. Also served olive oil and balsamic vinegar to dip bread into (available in main dining room as well)

Contact the Special Needs dept.....RCI (and most cruiselines!) does a GREAT job with special dietary needs...but you do need to give them a "heads up" in advance.

Special_needs@rccl.com

Note the underscore between special and needs.

It does give them a heads up but you do still need to pay a visit to the maitre d / head waiter on the first day.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I am very sensitive to lactose, also. I just take a large supply of Lactaid with me wherever I go at home or traveling, and keep it with me at all times. I eat anything I want, but avoid large quantities of milk products on consecutive days. If I have any doubts, I take a Lactaid while I'm eating.

DH has some dietary restrictions and we make sure that his dietary requirement is part of the reservation record as well as speaking with our MDR head waiter. We have always found them very accommodating in preparing his meals to meet his needs. And his meals have always been just as good as any without the restrictions.

I am very sensitive to lactose, also. I just take a large supply of Lactaid with me wherever I go at home or traveling, and keep it with me at all times. I eat anything I want, but avoid large quantities of milk products on consecutive days. If I have any doubts, I take a Lactaid while I'm eating.

Unfortunately Lactaid has no effect for those with a dairy allergy.

I find the lactaid makes me gassy. But you know I'd rather be dairy free on a cruise than dairy full almost anywhere else. I'm sure I won't go hungry - ha ha.

Got it! I had intolerance mixed up with allergy. Two different things.

It's easy to do and unfortunately we still run into it quite often with the ships staff. They keep referring to the lactose free items. It can get frustrating at times having to explain the differences and that lactose freeroducts still may contain the dairy that causes the allergy.

I find the lactaid makes me gassy. But you know I'd rather be dairy free on a cruise than dairy full almost anywhere else. I'm sure I won't go hungry - ha ha.

When that happens to me I find I need to take extra Lactaid for that particular food. For instance, my nickname for gouda cheese is "evil gouda". It's a 2-pill cheese!!