Liberty secret deck question

NoName

We've booked the forward facing cabins that open up to the "secret deck" several times and have never seen chairs on those decks. It's solid walled railing and you could not see anything if you were in a chair.

We are booked for the first time in one of the 4J rooms in October. In looking over pictures I have seen some lounge chairs stacked on those decks. Hope they have something so I can hang outside my room!

I'm not doubting your word, but I've went up there on every cruise we've taken and I've never seen any chairs or lounge chairs up there. The only thing I've ever seen is the wooden benches. And, it's extremely windy up there when the ship is underway. You almost have to lean into the wind to walk.

Great place to go when coming into or leaving a port but they do not encourage us to hang out there.

Huh? Who is "they"?

We are always taking advantage of those decks when we book the forward facing cabins. But on our last couple of times though, they lock the doors at night and in high winds. We used to love to go out there at night. Bummer..

Huh? Who is "they"?

We are always taking advantage of those decks when we book the forward facing cabins. But on our last couple of times though, they lock the doors at night and in high winds. We used to love to go out there at night. Bummer..

They is Carnival. If they wanted us out there they would have lounge chairs there.

havent seen the door locked at night though. Supposed to be great place to see stars but never remember to go out there and look

The " secret decks " are good for star gazing but when the ship is in motion it is like standing in a 30 mph wind tunnel and not very pleasant. Never saw lounge chairs on the Splendor but there were the wooden benches, but you cannot see anything of note when sitting due to the railing. I did see anecdotal evidence once that someone had joined the balcony club on the Splendor on the deck above the bridge. There was a condom melted onto the deck!

Edited by n6uqqq

The " secret decks " are good for star gazing but when the ship is in motion it is like standing in a 30 mph wind tunnel and not very pleasant. Never saw lounge chairs on the Splendor but there were the wooden benches, but you cannot see anything of note when sitting due to the railing. I did see anecdotal evidence once that someone had joined the balcony club on the Splendor on the deck above the bridge. There was a condom melted onto the deck!

Eewwwwwww. :eek:

Some people have no class

• 2 months later...

Curious if anyone knows...Are the forward decks accessible on both starboard and port sides on Empress Deck?

What about on Lido deck (accessible from both sides)?

I'm hearing conflicting info, where one person said the Lido "secret" deck was only accessible from the port side (not starboard, due to something in the way - maybe a owner's suite, or captain's suite or something)?

Anyone have any input on that?

We're looking at an Oct sailing and trying to decide between forward Empress and forward Lido, but want to be sure we can get easy access to the forward deck for coming into/leaving ports, and/or a quick check of the weather, since we are cheapo's that book inside cabins so we can go more than once a year!

:rolleyes:

GP

Curious if anyone knows...Are the forward decks accessible on both starboard and port sides on Empress Deck?

What about on Lido deck (accessible from both sides)?

I'm hearing conflicting info, where one person said the Lido "secret" deck was only accessible from the port side (not starboard, due to something in the way - maybe a owner's suite, or captain's suite or something)?

Anyone have any input on that?

We're looking at an Oct sailing and trying to decide between forward Empress and forward Lido, but want to be sure we can get easy access to the forward deck for coming into/leaving ports, and/or a quick check of the weather, since we are cheapo's that book inside cabins so we can go more than once a year!

:rolleyes:

GP

To get to the "Secret Deck" on any of the decks that it's accessable, you go forward to the very front of the ship. You can turn either right or left. There is a hallway that goes across the front of the ship. At either end of that hallway is a door with a window in it. You go through that door, then within no more than five feet is a heavy wooden door. Go through that door and you are at the bow of the ship. You can walk all the way around the front and go back in the opposite door if you choose. At the very middle of that area is steps that you can go up or down to a different deck.

GP. You can always get up to any of the forward decks using the stairs between them on the deck. So, really doesn't matter which deck you start at, you can always move between them.

And wife and I always book inside cabins. We are only in the cabin to change, shower, sleep. Otherwise, we are on deck doing things or people watching (or taking photos of sunrises, sunsets, etc.). So, why pay the extra cost of OV, balcony, or suite. BTW, the word is "frugal", not "cheap" :) And I agree about the multiple vacations. This is a GOOD year... trip to Atlanta, Yosemite, and 3 cruises in the next 12 months... :)

Steve

yeah, us too in Sept. And in Jan, actually have one of the rooms with the windows out front. Wife and I prefer the forward part of the ship. Had a bad experience with the Aft this past Dec on the Freedom... cigarette smoke... drifting into the corridor.

Enjoy your cruise in Aug.

Thank you for your post. We are going on the Liberty this summer. When I was on board the Freedom last Christmas, I saw people on these decks when we were docking in Nassau and wondered how they got there!

To get to the "Secret Deck" on any of the decks that it's accessable, you go forward to the very front of the ship. You can turn either right or left. There is a hallway that goes across the front of the ship. At either end of that hallway is a door with a window in it. You go through that door, then within no more than five feet is a heavy wooden door. Go through that door and you are at the bow of the ship. You can walk all the way around the front and go back in the opposite door if you choose. At the very middle of that area is steps that you can go up or down to a different deck.

I've been out on the forward decks before on many ships, but in researching the Liberty specifically, I read that the port side on Lido was the only "access" for the Liberty on Lido deck.

Is your information more "general" in nature (access from either side, with stairway to different decks, yadda, yadda), or is it specific to the Lido deck on Liberty?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but am asking specifically about Liberty's Lido because if it's only accessible from the port side, then we're more likely to book on the port side...

(you know, because we are "FRUGAL" (not cheap))... :D

Thanks!

GP

My info was from experience on the Destiny, Victory, Conquest, Glory and Freedom. That's the way it was on those ships.

However, in looking at the deck plans of the Liberty, it looks like they added those new suites on both ends at the front of the Lido Deck. If that's true, there probably isn't any access to the bow from that deck. There is an open space on the deck plans forward but I don't see any indication of doors making it accessable.

I've been out on the forward decks before on many ships, but in researching the Liberty specifically, I read that the port side on Lido was the only "access" for the Liberty on Lido deck.

Is your information more "general" in nature (access from either side, with stairway to different decks, yadda, yadda), or is it specific to the Lido deck on Liberty?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but am asking specifically about Liberty's Lido because if it's only accessible from the port side, then we're more likely to book on the port side...

(you know, because we are "FRUGAL" (not cheap))... :D

Thanks!

GP

GP, was general in nature. No need to state anything else. Frugal, yes.. definitely not cheap :) Steve