Transferable Cruise Rewards Certificate

glittaknitta

I'm sorry, feeling like a bit of a moron here...

I'm about to go on my first cruise ever (!!) on January 25th (on the Epic) for eight nights. I booked a Haven 2 Bedroom Family Villa, paid it in full last fall and now I've come across someone selling one of these $250 Cruise Rewards Certificates that must be used by the end of February (on ebay).

Their claim is that I can buy it for $150 and use the $250 credit onboard for "Shore Excursions, Drinks or anything you might do on-board the ship". But after a bit more research here on the cruisecritic boards, it appears as though I can only use it for actually booking the cruise (that ship has already sailed - pun intended)? I now wonder if I'm getting the shaft on this deal?

I'll call Norwegian tomorrow to clarify, but am wondering if someone here can clear this up for me? I've searched and read the actual rules pertaining to these certificates but being a noob to the cruise world, I'm not sure that I'm reading the terms correctly. If the seller has outright lied in their listing, I can get my bid retracted.

Thanks for any help.

Jodie

Only when you first book . its generally used as the deposit . You are out of luck on this one.

Remember to buy one when you are on your cruise.. For next time ;)

sail well

P.S. Retract your bid ...

Edited by mpk218

I was able to transfer one to mine to use towards payment, I had my cruise already booked at the time. This was about 6 months ago.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Paid in Full already . Sails in a few weeks..;)

I saw this also on Ebay and sent the seller a message that his listing was wrong and misleading and that it can not be used for excursions, drinks, etc, and is only usable towards a deposit on a new cruise (and sometimes they'll allow you to use it as partial payment).

Harriet

Update - the seller cancelled the listing for this cruise certificate. It seems they were genuinely mistaken about what it could be used for. I'm SO thankful for the cruisecritic forums. Being completely new to cruising, if I hadn't seen mention of these certificates on here, I would have never suspected the description to have been wrong and likely would have won, paid for the certificate, and only THEN figured out the problem when I tried to use it, causing a much more complex problem.

Thank you to all who responded!

• 3 months later...

Just to set the record straight in case others come across this thread, since there seems to be some misinformation floating around:

I just contacted both NCL and Travelocity (who I booked through, and who verified with NCL again) about this same thing, because I'm even past final payment for my cruise. Both NCL and the Travelocity rep confirmed that a Cruise Reward voucher can be applied to my reservation even after final payment, in which case I would receive a credit card refund for the $250. The Cruise Reward certainly doesn't have to only be used for the deposit, and can apparently be transferred and applied to the reservation at any time. This is despite the apparent wording/terms on the voucher itself that says it is for new reservations only.

In any case, the best thing to do is call NCL and check for yourself. This may well be something that NCL is inconsistent on, and I haven't actually attempted the transfer yet...so we'll see how it goes.

Just to set the record straight in case others come across this thread, since there seems to be some misinformation floating around:

I just contacted both NCL and Travelocity (who I booked through, and who verified with NCL again) about this same thing, because I'm even past final payment for my cruise. Both NCL and the Travelocity rep confirmed that a Cruise Reward voucher can be applied to my reservation even after final payment, in which case I would receive a credit card refund for the $250. The Cruise Reward certainly doesn't have to only be used for the deposit, and can apparently be transferred and applied to the reservation at any time. This is despite the apparent wording/terms on the voucher itself that says it is for new reservations only.

In any case, the best thing to do is call NCL and check for yourself. This may well be something that NCL is inconsistent on, and I haven't actually attempted the transfer yet...so we'll see how it goes.

Do come back and tell us since I have some friends who aren't going to be able to use one of theirs before it expires but we could towards our final payment.

Can these certificates, and the credits for futures cruises sold when you're on board, only be used when booking direct with NCL or also with a cruise agency?

With an agency...even the online ones:D

With some online TAs that can be tricky though - on many occasions one would need to make the whole booking by calling them.

For at least the one that promises a price that is best:rolleyes:, if you call they tell you to book it online and enter your credit card # as all 1s and then they will call you and you tell them you have a cruise reward, they confirm it and book your cruise.