Review - Breakway NewYears Eve cruise - Dec 29sail date

LizG12

I have been on other ships of comparable size with other lines and did not have these issues, so "size" is not the problem. I actually preferred the large ships. Breakaway may change my mind! The funny thing is, My PCC, when told which ships I've sailed on before, said how NCL was the one the other line copied. Really?? I don't think so.... not from these reviews. They get their chance to prove me wrong in May! :)

debbie

In a way, the PCC was right, NCL was the first (IIRC) that got away from the assigned dinner and show times.

I just got the feeling that the Breakaway management is used to smaller ships and don't know how to handle a ship with as many 'bits & pieces' (restaurants, activities, etc) that the Breakaway has. 4K people and the daily activity list doesn't seem that much busier than when I've been on smaller ships, especially once you take out the spa-sell kind of things.

If you go on Breakaway looking for what's 'wrong' you'll find it. If you go on Breakaway to enjoy your trip, you'll do that too.

Late 2012 I took a cruise on RCCL Independence of the Seas, and I got curious about the stats on the 2 ships -

Breakaway - 146K tons, length 1068', passenger capacity 3969

Independence - 160k tons, length 1112', passenger capacity 3634

Breakaway's a smaller ship with almost 400 more passengers (not sure about the crew sizes) No wonder Breakaway felt more crowded and closed in.

Late 2012 I took a cruise on RCCL Independence of the Seas, and I got curious about the stats on the 2 ships -

Breakaway's a smaller ship with almost 400 more passengers (not sure about the crew sizes) No wonder Breakaway felt more crowded and closed in.

I may be wrong, but I think people have reported 4500+ on the Breakaway.....The interesting thing being the same number of staff no matter the passenger number.

I agree I will go on the cruise not looking for the bad, but I paid more for this Bermuda cruise than I have any other (including another line's Bermuda cruise and more than Haven rooms on the FL/Bahamas run) and that's just a regular balcony room, so I expect better than mediocre. :) I can get that on another line for a lot less......

debbie

I used the passenger maximum's on NCL and RCCL websites, I don't know how they calculate it.

I was really surprised that Breakaway was a smaller ship, although at that size, unless they're side by side it's hard to judge.

Edited by LizG12

Maybe the Breakaway's cabins are smaller, or they have more bunks, trundles, or sleep sofas.

Thank you LizG12 for your honest review. I am so sorry for your loss.

I have a few questions for anyone that has cruised on the Breakaway. Thank you in advance for any info about your cruise experience.

We are cruising in September on the Breakaway with our 5 adult children and 2 sons in law making us 9 total. Because we are an uneven number, one of the group has a single cabin so I was very interested in what Liz wrote.

There is one vegetarian among us. Well actually I am a vegetarian too but I eat fish so I never have a problem finding something that I want. My son does not eat meat or fish. On other ships (when you have a scheduled dinner time) prior to the cruise, you notify the ship and they are able to accommodate. With freestyle dining, I don't think that will work. Any thoughts?

Are the shows free or are they charging for that too. I have cruised NCL 3 times and did feel that they nickel & dimed you. They kept spouting about the importance of recycling but every night on your bed there was 5 plus adverts for their Spa. I did however enjoy our cruise very much.

One of the things I liked on Norwegian was the walking deck that went entirely around the ship. The walking base was very nice to walk on (not slippery) sort of like a cork material. Can you walk entirely around the Breakaway. I saw that they have restaurants on that deck?

Thank you all. All information would be greatly appreciated.

Pat

I also extend my sympathy to the OP for her loss. Truly. And thank you for your review!

As far as vegetarian options go, I sailed on the Breakaway last July with a vegan, a vegetarian, and someone allergic to shellfish. The pre-concierge stated that nothing could be arranged for the vegan/vegetarian but I attended the CC Meet and Greet and arranged everything with the "Food Officers" on the ship. My vegan daughter had specialized meals (with menu delivered to room every morning) and the others had special meals in Cirque as well as other venues.

Please reach out to the staff who can make things happen (seemingly magically) on the ship if you have worries about dietary issues.

I also extend my sympathy to the OP for her loss. Truly. And thank you for your review!

As far as vegetarian options go, I sailed on the Breakaway last July with a vegan, a vegetarian, and someone allergic to shellfish. The pre-concierge stated that nothing could be arranged for the vegan/vegetarian but I attended the CC Meet and Greet and arranged everything with the "Food Officers" on the ship. My vegan daughter had specialized meals (with menu delivered to room every morning) and the others had special meals in Cirque as well as other venues.

Please reach out to the staff who can make things happen (seemingly magically) on the ship if you have worries about dietary issues.

TYMIKE,

Thank you so much for the response. WOW very impressed that the menu was delivered daily for your daughter. I will look into speaking with the Food Officers.

Pat

Maybe the Breakaway's cabins are smaller, or they have more bunks, trundles, or sleep sofas.

Pure guess: could it be the way the suites are laid out on the ships? Royal has them all (on Feedom Class ships like Indy) down among the regular cabins, while NCL has them sequestered in a special Haven area? Just a thought. If true, RCI's approach would do more to reduce the amount of room available for regular cabins.

FYI this is why Carnival ships are so packed. Their "suites" are not very large / grand compared to those on other lines, allowing more space to jam in more regular cabins.

TYMIKE,

Thank you so much for the response. WOW very impressed that the menu was delivered daily for your daughter. I will look into speaking with the Food Officers.

Pat

You are very welcome! Please do take advantage of the officers on board. It really was like POOF! Problem solved! Have a great cruise!:)