Question about seasickness remedy? Ginger in particular

Anniesails

Vines has pickled ginger that they serve alongside their sushi.:) I think they have it when there's sushi in the buffet, too. .

Pickled ginger is pretty much standard with sushi. Others had mentioned "free" ginger onboard. Getting ginger with sushi at Vines is definitely not free as you have to order wine in order to get the sushi.

I didn't know that Princess made ginger available. I also had no idea that Cost Plus World Market has a multitude of ginger products. I LOVE ginger! I'll have to check out the World Market (never usually go there) and also look out for ginger on Princess ships. (Did I mention that I LOVE ginger? :D) I sometimes buy the Ginger Chews from Trader Joe's. They are from The Ginger People.

Either many of us don't know where to look on board, or else, as I said above, it's on same ships but not others. I would go ahead and buy them (just as with any toiletries), before the cruise and pack them. I don't want to depend on finding something on the ship, especially if it's for sale at a high mark up in the store.

I have very light blue eyes and use ginger without any side effects. I haven't noticed the ginger on the ship because I have my own. I like the chewable tablets, Ginger Trips by Solace. I get them at the Health Collection. I'm not fishin musican's wife but the patch had the same effect on my eyes and the Non Drowsy Dramamine/Bonine - Meclazine makes me sleepy. I have used the wrist bands and they help me. I just don't like to wear them all the time. But if I really need them, I do. I wish they made them in different colors and prints!!!! LOL

thank youi all for your sharing and advice. My travel buddy is so anxious about this hoping this will calm the waters and her stomach.:cool:

i use ginger tablets i get at walmart, i start taking them 2-3 days before the cruise, usually morning and night. then i continue taking one each morning and one each night throughout the cruise. they have helped immensely. i also bring along ginger candy i use when i feel the boat moving alot. also a ginger ale with lunch each day is good. i tried the patch and it dilated my eyes, made me very thirsty and sort of weird feeling so i used it only once and then began the ginger routine...good luck

We're getting ready to cruise on Sat. I tend to be seasick and have never found anything that didn't have side effects. The patch caused disorientation, short- term memory loss and a "high" feeling. Bonine (taken at night) makes me drowsy. The sea bands didn't work. This time I've got ginger chews, different sea bands, Quease Ease inhaler and Bonine and some weird homeopathic pills my friendly neighborhood health food store recommended! I figure I'll try the ginger chews and a half Bonine and then add the inhaler if needed. If all else fails, I'll try the homeopathic pills and sea bands. Sorry if this is overkill, but on our cruise last January I was mildly nauseous the whole cruise with Bonine and the sea bands!

Pickled ginger is pretty much standard with sushi. Others had mentioned "free" ginger onboard. Getting ginger with sushi at Vines is definitely not free as you have to order wine in order to get the sushi.

I imagine that they would give you some ginger if you showed up looking green. I don't imagine anybody who's seasick would want the sushi.:eek:

Never saw any candied ginger on Princess, but on a crossing aboard the QM2 a few years back, they always had some candied ginger on the table at dinner time. I've been using it now for years....not really sure if it does anything, but I like the taste and haven't had any side effects...or sea sickness.

I went out today and stocked up on ginger products. I got the 550mg ginger root capsules, crystallized ginger candy and also a tin of ginger altoids. I found the altoids at Trader Joes if anyone is interested.

Thanks for all the helpful tips! :)

I always use patches. The only adverse affect I ever heard of was people who applied the patch and then didn't wash their hands thoroughly. If you touch your eye after you touch the patch you will have blurred vision. I also have labrynthitis, which is an inner ear disturbance so it's basically like vertigo, the patches help with all this. I also have numb feet so my balance is really messed up. I swear by the patches. Will use them even for short trips.

Candi

Will be embarking on the South American "around the Horn" cruise on 2/1. Usually never get motion sickness but want to be prepared. I heard that ginger root is good for it and was wondering how to take it? Do you take it IF it happens or everyday just in case. Any info is greatly appreciated. I also bought Bonine and seabands just in case. Don't want to be sick and not enjoy this trip !!!:cool:

We just finished the Golden Princess Cruisetour 07A that included the Valparaiso to Rio "Around the Horn" Cruise. We really only had one day where the boat was rocking a lot on the first night/day at sea out of Valparaiso, Chile. The rest of the time the waves were a lot smaller. But I take actually honey glazed ginger root and it seems to help.

The Golden Princess main shop/store on Deck 6 carried 3 or 4 "motion sickness" tablets, patches, and even ginger packets that you can buy. I didn't need to purchase since I had my own supply of ginger that I've used on several cruises.

Have fun!

Edited by Duane T