Can I help with any Malaga info?

campolady

Hi there, I really appreciate all that you have written about Malaga.

We arrive on Sunday, May 7th and I understand that a lot of things will be closed. We really just want to see Malaga on our own, no tours. Our ship is in port from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. I would loved of seen a Flamenco demonstration but I don't think this will be possible. We plan on going to the Picasso Museum and the Castle, try some tapa restaurants and hit the beach. Any other suggestions or in what order we should do this? Transportation suggestions would be appreciated as well. Thank you kindly!

Apart from major stores everything is open on Sundays, and yes, sadly Flamenco Shows all take place at night BUT some Tapas bars have live music so you may well still hear some Flamenco. I would suggest you do the Castle first then down into the old town centre for the Picasso Museum and Tapas (the museum is surrounded by good Tapas Bars including one of our favouites 'El Gallo' immediately facing the entrance to the museum); the beach would be my final calling place as, to me, it is the least interesting part of Malaga and you may find that you enjoy your Tapas bars too much for much time sunbathing lol. To get to the castle take the shuttle from the cruise terminal then when you get off at the Plaza Marina look for the bus stand showing no. 35 for the bus up to the castle. After touring the castle either take another bus back down the hill to the old centre or walk a couple of hundred meters downhill from the castle and call in at the Parador Hotel that has stunning views over the city and where taxis are usually parked (worth going into the hotel for a coffee before getting a taxi as it is a very pleasant place and, in the event that there are no cabs available at the hotel, the staff will call you one as long as you have a drink). It is only a short walk from the old city to the beach and not long to walk back from the beach to the cruise terminal.

Have you seen my other thread that includes other suggestions? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599

Hope this helps - let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Edited by campolady

Apart from major stores everything is open on Sundays, and yes, sadly Flamenco Shows all take place at night BUT some Tapas bars have live music so you may well still hear some Flamenco. I would suggest you do the Castle first then down into the old town centre for the Picasso Museum and Tapas (the museum is surrounded by good Tapas Bars including one of our favouites 'El Gallo' immediately facing the entrance to the museum); the beach would be my final calling place as, to me, it is the least interesting part of Malaga and you may find that you enjoy your Tapas bars too much for much time sunbathing lol. To get to the castle take the shuttle from the cruise terminal then when you get off at the Plaza Marina look for the bus stand showing no. 35 for the bus up to the castle. After touring the castle either take another bus back down the hill to the old centre or walk a couple of hundred meters downhill from the castle and call in at the Parador Hotel that has stunning views over the city and where taxis are usually parked (worth going into the hotel for a coffee before getting a taxi as it is a very pleasant place and, in the event that there are no cabs available at the hotel, the staff will call you one as long as you have a drink). It is only a short walk from the old city to the beach and not long to walk back from the beach to the cruise terminal.

Have you seen my other thread that includes other suggestions? http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2268599

Hope this helps - let me know if I can be of any more assistance.

Thank you Campolady for the detailed reply, you really are an invaluable promoter of the city of Malaga!

Might have a change in itinerary....The ship is in port from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We thought we would take your advise and try the Arab Baths, The Castle, Cathederal, Picasso Museum, Alcazaba, Roman Ruins and of course tapas. Would it be best to do the Baths first thing in the morning? I will await your trusty opinion on which way to do this.

You are the Best!

Thank you Campolady for the detailed reply, you really are an invaluable promoter of the city of Malaga!

Might have a change in itinerary....The ship is in port from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. We thought we would take your advise and try the Arab Baths, The Castle, Cathederal, Picasso Museum, Alcazaba, Roman Ruins and of course tapas. Would it be best to do the Baths first thing in the morning? I will await your trusty opinion on which way to do this.

You are the Best!

Sounds good! Personally I would do the Arab Baths last and return to your ship totally relaxed; the afternoon session is 2-4 p.m. http://malaga.hammamalandalus.com/en/prices

My itinerary would be Castle - Alcazaba - Roman Ruins - Cathedral - Picasso Museum - Tapas - Arab Baths. If you are short of time just take photos of the Roman Ruins from the street - you can clearly see everything without actually walking in; immediately behind you when facing the ruins you will see the rear entrance of the famous tapas bar 'Bar El Pimpi' that should not be missed.

Edited by campolady

Sounds good! Personally I would do the Arab Baths last and return to your ship totally relaxed; the afternoon session is 2-4 p.m. http://malaga.hammamalandalus.com/en/prices

My itinerary would be Castle - Alcazaba - Roman Ruins - Cathedral - Picasso Museum - Tapas - Arab Baths. If you are short of time just take photos of the Roman Ruins from the street - you can clearly see everything without actually walking in; immediately behind you when facing the ruins you will see the rear entrance of the famous tapas bar 'Bar El Pimpi' that should not be missed.

Thank you so much! Your assistance has been greatly appreciated!

• 3 weeks later...
Campolady = are the main museums and sites open on Mondays? We will be visiting in May.

Depends on where you want to visit - unlike many places in Europe some museums etc. in Malaga are open on Mondays e.g. the Picasso Museum, Gibralfaro Castle, Alcazaba and the Cathedral, others such as the Motor Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum and Roman Amphitheatre are closed; this link gives some opening hours http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/andalusia/malaga/articles/malaga-attractions/ If the places you want to visit are not on the link list just post again and I will find out for you.

Some places generally open on Mondays do close if a Public Holiday falls on that day - the Cathedral being one if there are special services scheduled; this will not affect you unless you are in port on Monday 1st May which is a National Holiday.

Edited by campolady

Depends on where you want to visit - unlike many places in Europe some museums etc. in Malaga are open on Mondays e.g. the Picasso Museum, Gibralfaro Castle, Alcazaba and the Cathedral, others such as the Motor Museum, Carmen Thyssen Museum and Roman Amphitheatre are closed; this link gives some opening hours http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/spain/andalusia/malaga/articles/malaga-attractions/ If the places you want to visit are not on the link list just post again and I will find out for you.

Some places generally open on Mondays do close if a Public Holiday falls on that day - the Cathedral being one if there are special services scheduled; this will not affect you unless you are in port on Monday 1st May which is a National Holiday.

Thank you so much for your comments and the link - just what I wanted.

• 5 months later...

Campolady,

Please could I have your views on my plans for a Friday in Malaga in November

From reading all your great information we would like to go to Gibralfaro Castle. My husband has difficulties walking so would need transport up, but would probably be able to make our way slowly down. Are there taxis at the dockside? Appox cost? Or would the bus be best? We would need to exit the port and go to the park for bus number 35? where is the bus stop? Fare? How much is the entrance fee? What age do you become a Senior? Dual ticket as we would like to go to the Alcazaba as well. How do you get from the Castle (I know you said the 2 sites are not linked by pathways), is it far, walkable if you are not too good at walking? We are not keen on HOHO.

Then how would you get to the Roman Amphitheatre? Are they still digging there? Is there now an entrance fee? Then possibly down to the Ataranzana Market and maybe round the old town.

I saw mention of a lift to the Alcazaba, is it still a long climb up to the castle?

Sorry for so many questions, but any and all advice and information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

Campolady,

Please could I have your views on my plans for a Friday in Malaga in November

From reading all your great information we would like to go to Gibralfaro Castle. My husband has difficulties walking so would need transport up, but would probably be able to make our way slowly down. Are there taxis at the dockside? Appox cost? Or would the bus be best? We would need to exit the port and go to the park for bus number 35? where is the bus stop? Fare? How much is the entrance fee? What age do you become a Senior? Dual ticket as we would like to go to the Alcazaba as well. How do you get from the Castle (I know you said the 2 sites are not linked by pathways), is it far, walkable if you are not too good at walking? We are not keen on HOHO.

Then how would you get to the Roman Amphitheatre? Are they still digging there? Is there now an entrance fee? Then possibly down to the Ataranzana Market and maybe round the old town.

I saw mention of a lift to the Alcazaba, is it still a long climb up to the castle?

Sorry for so many questions, but any and all advice and information would be gratefully received.

Many thanks.

For anyone with the slightest mobility issues I would recommend you take a taxi from the cruise terminal up to Gibralfaro Castle - there are always plenty of taxis waiting at the terminal and the fare should be around 12 Euros. When you have viewed the castle I suggest you take the bus back down to Malaga centre (1.95 Euro fare; get off at Parque de Malaga - stops are clearly indicated on signs inside the bus) as the descent is winding and quite steep. It is about a 7-10 minutes walk from where the bus drops you off to the Roman Ruins - have a walk round the ruins (there is a very low admission charge of just a few Euros) then take the elevator up to the Alcazaba from the rear of the ruins (some digging still takes place at the ruins but not continuously so you may or may not see anything in progress). After this it is another 10 minutes walk to the Ataranzana Market from where you can get a taxi back to the ship.

A dual ticket giving admission to both the Castle and Alcazaba is 3.45 Euros full price; Seniors admission rate officially starts at age 65.

Hope this helps..

Edited by campolady

Hi Campolady,

Could you please tell me the best way to get to la malagueta beach from the port and would you know the cost of sunbed hire,

Many Thanks

Also getting to Illetas beach in Palma please

Hi Campolady,

Could you please tell me the best way to get to la malagueta beach from the port and would you know the cost of sunbed hire,

Many Thanks

Also getting to Illetas beach in Palma please

It is a 15 minutes walk from the cruise terminal to Malagueta beach - most of the walk is within the port grounds Just follow the road from the terminal entrance until it veers to the right (just before the start of the Muelle Uno restaurants/bars complex) - this leads you to the coast road and the beach. If you don't want to walk a taxi will cost about 7 Euros from the cruise terminal to the beach. The current charge for 2 sunbeds plus a shared parasol is 8 Euros.

To get to Illetas from Palma cruise terminal walk out of the port buildings and cross the main road where you will find bus stops. I am not sure which bus goes to Illetas (it used to be the number 3 but this may have changed) but they are quite frequent and the correct bus number/route will be clearly marked at the bus stops. It is a 15-20 minutes bus ride to Illetas beach. A taxi from the cruise terminal to Illetas beach should cost between 13-15 Euros depending on whether you travel on a weekday or at weekend.

Edited by campolady

It is a 15 minutes walk from the cruise terminal to Malagueta beach - most of the walk is within the port grounds Just follow the road from the terminal entrance until it veers to the right (just before the start of the Muelle Uno restaurants/bars complex) - this leads you to the coast road and the beach. If you don't want to walk a taxi will cost about 7 Euros from the cruise terminal to the beach. The current charge for 2 sunbeds plus a shared parasol is 8 Euros.

To get to Illetas from Palma cruise terminal walk out of the port buildings and cross the main road where you will find bus stops. I am not sure which bus goes to Illetas (it used to be the number 3 but this may have changed) but they are quite frequent and the correct bus number/route will be clearly marked at the bus stops. It is a 15-20 minutes bus ride to Illetas beach. A taxi from the cruise terminal to Illetas beach should cost between 13-15 Euros depending on whether you travel on a weekday or at weekend.

Thanks for your prompt reply, how will I know when to get off the bus at illetas please

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Thanks for your prompt reply, how will I know when to get off the bus at illetas please

Sent from my SM-N910F using Forums mobile app

Most buses going to Illetas terminate at the beach - you will turn off the main road to the left soon you leave Palma and go up a very steep hill which is the start of Illetas; you drop down to the beach from the top of the hill. By the way. make sure that the bus is going up the hill to the beach as some say they stop at Illetas but this is only at the foot of the hill before the buses go on to Palma Nova, Magalluf or Santa Ponsa.

If there are more than 2 of you (and no more than 4) it wouldn't be much dearer - and much easier/quicker - to take a taxi.

Edited by campolady

Are there any tour operators for day tours? Cruise port on Tuesday, November 7, 2017. Would prefer an organized tours of castles, cathedral, etc. for solo traveler. Thanks for your help.

Have a look at

http://www.malagatours.com/ or

https://www.toursbylocals.com/Malaga-Tours?s=BA_10B_013B_%2Bmalaga%20%2Btour&utm_source=MSAC&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=10B_013B

Hi Kathy.

Malaga wines are Fortified Wines similar to Sherry NOT red or white table wines that you would drink with a meal. They range from very dry to very sweet - for a first try I would suggest a Pedro Ximenez that is mid range. Have a trip into the Antigua Casa de Guardia on Malagas main street Avenida Alameda Principal - here there are casks of all varieties of Malaga Wines and the staff speak some English so can help you choose - try several and your running total is chalked up on the old wooden bar. The bar is one of the oldest bars in Malaga dating back to the mid 1800s - reputedly it was previously the jail hence its name. The atmosphere is wonderful and prices cheap making it especially popular at lunchtimes with local working Malagueños. http://antiguacasadeguardia.net/home.htmlw

You have to be over 65 to get Seniors rates - e.g. in the Picasso Museum this gets you a 50% discount.

We were there in April and did get to visit Guardia. It was very interesting. Thank you! We will be back April 2018 and will follow more of your advise

Forgot to say that as you walk by, you smell the Sherry

• 2 weeks later...
We live mid-way between Malaga and Granada and know the city of Malaga well.

If anyone visiting Malaga on a cruise has any questions I will be happy to do my best to help - the city is not great at promoting itself which is such a shame as it has so much to offer.

We will be stopping in Malaga and I want to book a private tour for 8 to the wine region. Can you recommend a tour company? I'm not interested in Spain Day Tours.

Thanks!

Shaun

We will be stopping in Malaga and I want to book a private tour for 8 to the wine region. Can you recommend a tour company? I'm not interested in Spain Day Tours.

Thanks!

Shaun

There isn't a 'Malaga wine region' as such - the grapes tend to come from co-operatives of small local growers from all over the large Malaga province; the only vineyard that I know that offers tours is at Sayalonga - a good hours drive from Malaga port - you would have to arrange your own transport http://www.bodegasbentomiz.com/index.php?lang=en .

This company offer wine tastings in Malaga city but, if you contact them, they may be able to advise if there are any other growers who offer tours that include transport http://www.malagawinetours.com/

Edited by campolady

I'm not looking for a wine tasting in Malaga. We would like a private company to take us to Ronda and a wine tasting up in that area. I understand that's an hour or so from the port. Do you know a tour company?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Forums mobile app

Sorry - don't know of any wine tasting tours in the Ronda area.

Sorry - don't know of any wine tasting tours in the Ronda area.

Do you know of a tour company that will take us to Ronda from the port of Malaga? There are many wineries around Ronda and I'm sure they will make a stop for us at one on the way to Ronda.